GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pleurothallis rainforest orchid (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchid-photos/201616-pleurothallis-rainforest-orchid.html)

Eve 18-12-2011 03:49 PM

Pleurothallis rainforest orchid

2 Attachment(s)
The habitat of this pleurothallis is in the rainforests of Costa Rica.

I had to wait for the bloom 2 years but now it flowers :-)

Eve

allen73 01-03-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eve (Post 945441)
The habitat of this pleurothallis is in the rainforests of Costa Rica.

I had to wait for the bloom 2 years but now it flowers :-)

Eve

The Pleurothallis orchids are one of the largest genera in the orchid family. Most pleurothallids really like high humidity; 70% should be considered a minimum. It's easiest to provide this humidity in an orchidarium, and the plants are generally small enough that you can put quite a large collection in there. Though there is a great deal of diversity in this genus, most like cool temperatures that stay below 70°F (21C). If temperatures get too hot, they will quickly dry out, shrivel, and die; possibly in a matter of hours. The higher the light, the cooler the temperatures need to be, and vice versa.

Most species like low-to-intermediate lighting; 700-1500 footcandles is reasonable. Most pleurothallids hate to dry out. Water as they approach dryness if you are able to provide plenty of humidity; keep them moist more consistently if the humidity is low. Good potting mixes for these orchids include fine-grade fir bark or sphagnum moss, usually in small plastic pots. You can also grow them mounted on twigs or slabs of bark, preferably with sphagnum moss around the roots.

ceekeigh 26-05-2012 08:30 PM

That is very beautiful. I like its color.

allen73 23-08-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceekeigh (Post 959739)
That is very beautiful. I like its color.

You are right ceekeigh, that is a very beautiful eye catching flower and has an awesome color.

JonathanW 09-09-2012 11:38 PM

Beautiful, what kind of camera did you shoot this with?

aquamarin 01-02-2024 10:32 PM

2 years is a short time for such a special flower. I have run into some problems with my garden when it comes to orchids. I am happy to see someone working on it!