Old 01-08-2005, 11:58 PM
tennis maynard

Default Paraphalaenopsis experiment

I am getting tired of most of the inflorescences on my
Paraphal.laycockii rotting from water in them, and it's almost
impossible to water them without that happening due to extreme plant
crowding and lack of time.

As I have low humidity levels, mounting isn't a pssibility as these are
very water loving plants, similar to phals but taking vanda light.

So, I have decided to pot it upside down. I took a shallow 6" plastic
pot and cut a hole in the center of the bottom just a tad larger than
the plant . I put screening in the pot to keep the fine mix (phal mix,
equal thirds fine bark, sponge rock and coir) from pouring out when
watered, since the drainage holes are rather large and I'm not putting
any peanuts or large particles in the bottom. Then I pulled the plant
through, filled the pot 75% up with mix, enough to cover the roots,
thumped it a couple of times to settle it, and attached a hanger through
holes burned with a soldering iron. Then I hung it up outside (for the
summer) and watered.

I am posting the pic on abpo if you want a visual.

We'll see.

Anybody else tried this?
Old 02-08-2005, 01:01 AM
Ray

My approach is similar, but I hang a vanda basket filled with sphagnum on
its side, with the plant "mounted" in the opening. A few extra wires hold
the plant and medium until the roots take over, at which point they can be
removed.

Old 02-08-2005, 09:37 AM
Niek Hanckmann

I did a similar thing to a Chysis bractescens seedling. These plants
need lots of water when growing, so i didn't dare to mount it. But
growing them in a pot makes the bulbs twist at the bottom. So I took a
4"-pot and made a hole in the side of it. I filled it with commercial
orchidsoil that is rather moistretaining. On top of the soil is now
growing moss. I found out that as long as I keep that nice green, te
plant is happy. I will take a picture of it this afternoon and post it
in abpo tonight.

Grtz. Niek