GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Orchids and Smelly Fumes... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/101036-orchids-smelly-fumes.html)

Sinister 06-08-2005 12:48 AM

Orchids and Smelly Fumes...

I'm a little young to know complex chemistry... I want an idea of what sort
of fumes Orchids can stand and what they can't. Specifically:

Incense
Smoking
Cleaner
Candles
Wood Polish
Plug ins
Windex
Bleach
Ammonia
Alcohol
Perfume
Cologne
Anti-perspirate

This and any other sort of info would be very helpful and appreciated.

-Sin

Diana Kulaga 06-08-2005 08:11 PM

Sin,

I'll tell you which products on your list I have used around my orchids
without any keel overs. To be brief, all of 'em, at one time or another.
Obviously, pouring most of that stuff on a plant wouldn't be the best idea
in the world, except for alcohol and some soaps, which many of us use for
pest control, and I try to avoid contact between tobacco and orchids.
Tobacco mosaic virus, y'know.

Diana

PS: Can't comment on the wood cleaner. We don't have a single piece of wood
furniture in the house.

Susan Erickson 06-08-2005 11:57 PM

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 15:11:48 -0400, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

Sin,

I'll tell you which products on your list I have used around my orchids
without any keel overs. To be brief, all of 'em, at one time or another.
Obviously, pouring most of that stuff on a plant wouldn't be the best idea
in the world, except for alcohol and some soaps, which many of us use for
pest control, and I try to avoid contact between tobacco and orchids.
Tobacco mosaic virus, y'know.

Diana

PS: Can't comment on the wood cleaner. We don't have a single piece of wood
furniture in the house.

Remember ripening fruit will ripen your flowers to the wilt
stage.
SuE

? 07-08-2005 12:38 AM

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 18:48:27 -0500 in Sinister wrote:

I do strongly recommend against watering with window cleaner.
To this day I don't know what I was thinking when I did that
(Hadn't had my morning caffeine yet). Didn't kill the dendrobium,
but did stop a new shoot from growing any more.
--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil

Diana Kulaga 07-08-2005 08:48 PM

I do strongly recommend against watering with window cleaner.
To this day I don't know what I was thinking when I did that
(Hadn't had my morning caffeine yet). Didn't kill the dendrobium,
but did stop a new shoot from growing any more.

Not to giggle at your mistake, but LOL! A couple of weeks ago I grabbed for
liquid tears and blindly picked up a bottle of liquid nail hardener. Whoa,
did that burn!

Diana