Old 11-08-2005, 11:30 PM
PhalGuy

Default What do you think about this Catt!

Hello everyone!

is this Catt easy to grow?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ME:B:FSEL:CA:1

thanks

--
Claude

www.picturetrail.com/phalguy

Remove NOSPAM to reply

Old 11-08-2005, 11:43 PM
Al

I would ask if the vendor can provide the parents of this grex. It is not
my up to date wildcat. It is pretty

news:1123799421.e431d294bf1da65dedb1ad72c10047cc@t eranews...

Old 12-08-2005, 12:05 AM
Susan Erickson

"PhalGuy" wrote in message
news:1123799421.e431d294bf1da65dedb1ad72c10047cc@ teranews...
Hello everyone!

is this Catt easy to grow?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ME:B:FSEL:CA:1

thanks
--
Claude

There are 13 different Netrasiri xxxxx in the various Catt
hybrids Blc etc. But none are Waxy according to RHS.
He suggests an AM/AOS with his clone name and AM hanging on the
end. He should be able to give you the parents and some
information about the clone. He can not be selling the entire
clone... or he could but at auction? What is this a back bulb,
or a lead? Where is the plant photo? When did it bloom
(beautiful flower)? You might be able to get an answer from
him. Good luck.
SuE
Old 12-08-2005, 12:27 AM
danny

Just Google it. This is a meristem. It seems to be a not-yet-registered
hybrid of C. Netrasiri Fireball and Lc. Netrasiri Doll. Who knows what
organization gave it an AM, I wouldn't assume it was AOS.
-danny

Old 12-08-2005, 03:12 AM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:27:07 -0400, "danny"
wrote:

Just Google it. This is a meristem. It seems to be a not-yet-registered
hybrid of C. Netrasiri Fireball and Lc. Netrasiri Doll. Who knows what
organization gave it an AM, I wouldn't assume it was AOS.
-danny

Some of the write up's on Ebay have lead me to wonder about
everything that you can not see in photos. The only Google list
I found said a 4" pot for $35 and no AM in sight. It is a
beautiful waxy flower.
SuE

Old 12-08-2005, 03:33 AM
PhalGuy

Here`s the answer from the vendor:

Hi
Sorry we do not have the parentage of this hybrid as it is an unregistered
hybrid.
Thanks

So, to all Catt growers, this one should not be very hard to grow? I`m
totally new to this species !

Thanks again

Claude

Old 12-08-2005, 03:46 AM
Steve

PhalGuy wrote:
Hello everyone!

is this Catt easy to grow?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ME:B:FSEL:CA:1

thanks

Hi Claude,

My fist thought was that it looks easy. That's kind of silly because I
am basing that on the fact that the couple of dark waxy Catts that I own
are pretty easy.
Now that I've looked around the internet, I would almost bet that the
vendor selling it doesn't really know what it is. You might ask anyway.
Danny is right about the AM maybe not being an AOS award. Even if the
seller says it is, I bet he's guessing. If he knew it was an AM/AOS he
would say so and so would all the other sellers in the internet. They
all just list it with AM if they list any award at all.
One other thing. A slight majority of the internet sites, including most
sellers, list it as an LC not a C. For example:
http://lazydazeorchids.com/detail.asp?offset=40&ID=94 That's
obviously the same flower. I think you are going to have to use the same
logic that most of us use: I like it, I want it, I'm going to buy it and
figure out the details later. Maybe you'll get lucky and be out bid! :-)

Steve

Old 12-08-2005, 03:57 AM
PhalGuy

Hello Again!

Can a plant get an AM without beeing registered?

Anyway, the flower is pretty neat! I really like it... Ah what the heck

Another one !!!! :-)

thanks

Claude

Old 12-08-2005, 04:33 AM
Steve

PhalGuy wrote:

Hello Again!

Can a plant get an AM without beeing registered? .........

It can't get an AM/AOS without being registered. Well it can, but if it
get the award it needs to get registered real soon or the award goes away.

Steve

Old 12-08-2005, 10:46 AM
Ray

Claude,

Catts need considerably more light than do the phals you grow. Do you have
the conditions for it?

news:1123815475.e63b050120e5061eddd08b6bef6f44b2@t eranews...

Old 12-08-2005, 02:28 PM
Rob

PhalGuy wrote:
Hello everyone!

is this Catt easy to grow?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ME:B:FSEL:CA:1

thanks

I'm quite happy with my Lc. Loog Tone "African Beauty"...
http://littlefrogfarm.com/images/Lc_...can_Beauty.jpg

Not the worlds best picture, but a very heavy substance (waxy, even),
and excellent color. Why is this relevant? This is a cross using
Netrasiri Doll (same breeding program).

Anyway, this line of breeding seems to be quite nice. Although my
plants is a little bigger than you might want to try under lights. The
plant itself is over a foot tall, and the spike is on top of that...

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 12-08-2005, 02:31 PM
Al

An unregistered hybrid would NOT have the name

CATTLEYA NETRASIRI WAXY `Jairug` AM,

it WOULD have the parentage listed in parentheses. This vendor fails orchid
name reading/writing 101. I don't think he/she even opened the book once
during the semester. I bet the instructor can not even remember seeing them
in class.

Kultana orchids is selling hybrids made using C. Netrasiri Waxy as a parent,
as are a few others, according to the internet.

Tropic 1 Orchids is selling Lc. Netrasiri Waxy 'Jairug' [Lc. Netrasiri Doll
x C. Netrasiri Fireball]. There are discrepancies here and I think this
will be a question on the next exam.

C. Chocolate Drop is a grandparent from both sides in the Tropic 1 Lc.
hybrid making it more likely to be the correct parentage of a hybrid that my
Wildcatt Feb 2005 update says is unregistered.

You just want to know if it is hard to grow. If you are able to bloom and
flower the average cattleya hybrid, then you can probably bring this plant
into bloom. If this is the parentage a nice select clone will probably
ultimately reach about 2 feet tall and have large clusters of these flowers.

It is pretty.

news:1123814007.5d19638cdcaa1e08936e2be3f5c35f09@t eranews...

Old 12-08-2005, 04:04 PM
K Barrett

Thanks for the info, Al. Once again we see the downfall of western
civilazation as we know it. How 2 well known orchid vendors could sell much
less hybridize with unregistered orchid *and put that on their tag!* is
beyond me. Just too lazy to write it right, I guess.

I went through my AQs and there isn't an AM from the AOS published yet.
Granted it could still be in the works, but the award would still be
provisional until the name Netrasiri Waxy was registered. Now, if somone
wanted to teach these idiots a lesson, they could pony up the $7 bucks for
the RHS and name the cross themselves since the owners haven't done so. I
suggest Lc. K Barrett. Then the award would HAVE to read Lc K Barrett
'Jairung' AM/AOS and the breeding program would HAVE to list Lc. K Barrett
as a parent. Neener neener to Netrasiri. They lose out!

K Barrett

Old 12-08-2005, 04:28 PM
Al

Orchid name registration with the RHS is voluntary. There is really nothing
but pressure from orchid collectors to stop a proliferation of unregistered
names. There are a lot of them out there, mericlones of very nice plants
from exotic locations whose parentage can not be traced.

When my few plants have been awarded by the AOS, I got a receipt in the mail
from the judging location with all the specs and a bill for $40.00. If I
chose not to pay the bill, I still have the carbon of the award spec to
prove my orchid was deemed awardable, using my provisional name. Even if I
never pay to register the hybrid or pay the award registration fee I can
still call my plant what I want and say it was deemed awardable by AOS
judges and I chose not to pay for the privilege of making it "official". I
have my carbon as proof even if the AOS and RHS react negatively. Yes,
Civilization as we know it is ending because of this problem. If the world
only knew the true reason why. Of course I do pay whatever they ask because
I like the feel of parchment and the nifty little kodachrome slide I
get....and because I want to be liked and recognized by important members of
the orchid growing community. I really really do, but then I am weird that
way.