Old 12-03-2003, 08:10 PM
Pete

Default Paphiopedilum Julius question

I have a Paph Julius that is in spike for the very first time. It is a
multigrowth plant and one of the new growths has variegated leaves, what's
up with that? I have never seen that on a Paph. What caused it to grow
variegated leaves?

I had even emailed Parkside where I had bought it from 2 years ago and they
don't the answer but they said that it does happen once in a while and that
I shouldn't worry.

Pete

Old 12-03-2003, 08:47 PM
Rob Halgren

Pete wrote:

I have a Paph Julius that is in spike for the very first time. It is a
multigrowth plant and one of the new growths has variegated leaves, what's
up with that? I have never seen that on a Paph. What caused it to grow
variegated leaves?

I had even emailed Parkside where I had bought it from 2 years ago and they
don't the answer but they said that it does happen once in a while and that
I shouldn't worry.

Variegated like a Paph. Maudiae, or like a dracena? Sometimes you
get 'flame' markings on phrags, where you see bright yellow halos on
leaves or sometimes bars across them. Nobody has ever explained that to
my satisfaction. I've heard that 'they are growing too fast for the
chlorophyll to keep up', but that sounds like BS to me... I haven't
seen that behavior on paphs. Sometimes you will get streaking or
stripes where other leaves have covered the leaf of your plant. That is
a response to the low light level (and can be a little freaky when you
first see it). I wouldn't expect to see tesselation or variegation in a
Julius, simply because the parents don't - but many multifloral hybrids
which have either Maudiae type or Chinese species (delenatii,
armeniacum, micranthum...) will have quite attractive foliage.
You can see sometimes what I call pleated leaves, they are actually
physically pleated in the lengthwise direction. Sometimes a lot,
sometimes a little. That isn't variegation, but it might be mistaken
for that. Not sure what causes that phenomenon either, but usually the
plants grow out of it.
If you have true variegation, and it is somewhat stable (all of the
new growths coming from the variegated growth come out true to pattern),
then you might have a plant that is worth something. Some cultures
really love odd variegation patterns. The Japanese are really into
Neofinetia falcata, not for the flowers but for the hundreds of
different leaf patterns. Each one has a name. They also like several
other genera with what we would call mutant coloring. Some of these
forms are sold for more than a new automobile.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 12-03-2003, 08:47 PM
Pete

Variegation like in a Dracena. Very odd, isn't it? The parents are
rothschildianum and lowii. niether parent has variegated leaves.

Pete

Old 12-03-2003, 09:33 PM
Al

take care of it. :-) ...and hope the new growths coming from the
variegated piece also show the pattern.

Old 12-03-2003, 10:34 PM
Pete

I have posted a picture of the variegated leaves on
alt.binary.orchid.pictures. It is very freaky looking.

Peter

Old 16-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Pete

There is something that I have never noticed before. The mature growth with
a spike is the one that produced the new growth with all variegated leaves
also has one variegated leaf, does it mean anything?

Pete

Pete wrote:

[...]

Paphiopedilum vietnamense and Paphiopedilum hermannii CITES and the EU freeflyer Orchids 4 30-06-2005 07:04 AM
Paph Julius Spike Gene Schurg Orchids 1 01-02-2005 04:31 AM
Paph Quiberon Bay Paphiopedilum Chamberlainium Traveler Orchids 0 19-12-2003 11:33 AM
Blooming requirements-Paphiopedilum Ronald Thomas Orchids 0 07-04-2003 03:32 PM
Languishing Paphiopedilum germ Orchids 12 03-02-2003 02:18 PM