Old 02-09-2005, 02:37 PM
Tony

Default Changeing location

Soon, as the weather cools, i have to bring in one of my orchids, which
is on my patio, shady, but bright area and doing just fine with new
growth at the base. My question is, would there be a problem? How should
I expect to see it react? I will eventually put it in the same
exposure, northeast, on a window sill in my kitchen. Oh yes, its a
bloomless Dend. Continue to fertilize or stop for the fall and winter,
here in the new york area. Thanks
Old 02-09-2005, 03:43 PM
Gene Schurg

Tony,

Many of us are faced with that same chore in a few weeks.

About 3 weeks before bringing the plants indoors you should treat the plant
and medium for any bugs that would come indoors as well. Spray 2 or 3 times
a week apart.

Depending upon where you house your plants during winter you may want to
bring the plant closer to that environment slowly. Suppose the Dendrobium
is sitting in a nice warm moist sunny area and you plan to bring it under
lights in a dry air conditioned home it's not going to be happy if this
happens at once. Abrupt changes in environment, specially when it is going
from perfect to less than perfect is stressful on the plant. Whatever you
can do to make that transition less stressful will reduce the chance that
the plant will be damaged.

So look at your windowsill where you plan to keep the plant and ask what
will change to the plants environment. Ease it into that change and you
should be fine.

You might want to consider a southern window for a Dendrob for
winter....just a suggestion.

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 02-09-2005, 04:02 PM
K Barrett

I will defer a real answer to someone who knows dendrobiums better than I
do, but some dends actually like a bit of cool in the fall in order to
bloom. Some like a reduction in nitrogen, and some don't care one way or
the other. So alas you have to know what sort of dendrobium you have. Any
Idea?

K Barrett

Old 02-09-2005, 09:11 PM
keith ;-\)

When the new growths have matured I switch to a high potash fert or so
called bloom booster.So I have now stopped the higher nitrogen feed .Or you
could use a balanced feed all year round .

Thanks Keith