Old 04-09-2005, 11:34 AM
keith ;-\)

Default den speciosum standing still ?

I acquired a den speciosum with 5 psbulbs ,from a society member about 9
months ago.I cleaned up the leaves & potted on the plant, apart from the
roots filling the pot /lots aerial roots.It hasn't produced a new growth ,it
looks the same as the day I got it!I grow intermediate (greenhouse) .Any
ideas to kick start it ?
Cheers Keith

Old 04-09-2005, 12:15 PM
Kye

Give it a few years to fill the pot out and get nicely root bound.... In my
experience this helps (but Dewg should be able to give you better advice)

Kye.

Old 04-09-2005, 01:00 PM
Dave Gillingham

Just the id part of my email address. One can probably survive without three
christian names, but at least it makes me readily identifiable!

Old 04-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Dave Gillingham

Keith, presuming you're in the northern hemisphere (?), you've just come through
the growing season. By aerial roots you mean roots growing upward out of the
pot? Quite normal for some varieties of speciosum. Any varietal type on the
tag? If the roots show nice green growing tips, it's doing fairly well
(standard wisdom). Shame about no new shoots though. I'd be inclined to aim at
strong filtered sunlight, since they grow in anything up to full sun. Plenty of
air movement, & try to keep the humidity up for most of the year, even when not
watering.

If you're in the southern hemisphere, same comments, & your new shoots should be
appearing any time soon. Unless you're unlucky enough to be living in Melbourne
;-)

Btw, what size are the 5 bulbs?

Old 04-09-2005, 10:26 PM
keith ;-\)

Hi Dave , I am in then UK,the tag only says den speciosum.The 5 psbulbs
increase in size from about 4 inch to 10 inch being the tallest.Yes, by
aerial I mean vertical/above the pot.The roots do have nice green tips & the
pot feels quite full when squeezed.So I think I will give it more light over
autumn & winter.I haven't paid much attention to it since I got it,I just
potted it on and popped it in the greenhouse without much thought .If it
gets as big as some as those monsters you see I will have to keep cutting it
to pieces or give it its own greenhouse!!
Thanks Keith

----

Old 05-09-2005, 01:58 AM
wendy7

Hi Keith, They do sort of sit still for a while. I just looked at my Jolly
Green Giant &
I spotted a couple of new growths which are about an inch in size.
I am going to try to pot a piece using a bonsai dish .

--
Cheers Wendy (who is in S. Calif. about 35dgs north of 0)

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 05-09-2005, 11:17 AM
Dave Gillingham

Keith, it would be a terrible shame to cut it up. And what better excuse for a
new greenhouse ;-)

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 20:26:11 GMT, "keith ;-\)"
wrote:

Hi Dave , I am in then UK,the tag only says den speciosum.The 5 psbulbs
increase in size from about 4 inch to 10 inch being the tallest.Yes, by
aerial I mean vertical/above the pot.The roots do have nice green tips & the
pot feels quite full when squeezed.So I think I will give it more light over
autumn & winter.I haven't paid much attention to it since I got it,I just
potted it on and popped it in the greenhouse without much thought .If it
gets as big as some as those monsters you see I will have to keep cutting it
to pieces or give it its own greenhouse!!
Thanks Keith
.. .

Den speciosum Gene Schurg Orchids 16 05-08-2007 06:04 PM
16 Den. speciosum hillii Wendy7 Orchid Photos 2 20-03-2007 09:49 PM
16 Den Brinawa x speciosum Wendy7 Orchid Photos 0 20-03-2007 04:14 AM
Den Speciosum - cross Wendy7 Orchid Photos 2 03-03-2007 04:24 AM
Culture for den speciosum & den aureum keith ;-\) Orchids 0 21-03-2005 10:03 PM