GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   onc. growth (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/104278-onc-growth.html)

tony 05-09-2005 08:58 PM

onc. growth

I have in the last 6 months moved some old onc. that have grown slowly but,
not bloomed in over 15yrs. under a metal halide fixture at work 400w. The
plants have taken off. My question is about the new growth. It is leaf after
leaf like a phal. some are 15 to 20 sets high but no bulbs. Is this normal?
Should I also throw a hps fixture in also?
Thank you ,
Tony Saris

? 05-09-2005 09:54 PM

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 15:58:35 -0400 in tony wrote:
I have in the last 6 months moved some old onc. that have grown slowly but,
not bloomed in over 15yrs. under a metal halide fixture at work 400w. The
plants have taken off. My question is about the new growth. It is leaf after
leaf like a phal. some are 15 to 20 sets high but no bulbs. Is this normal?

Could you provide a picture?
Sure it isn't a Tolumnia (equitant Oncidium)?

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil

jadel 06-09-2005 02:42 PM

tony wrote:
I have in the last 6 months moved some old onc. that have grown slowly but,
not bloomed in over 15yrs. under a metal halide fixture at work 400w. The
plants have taken off. My question is about the new growth. It is leaf after
leaf like a phal. some are 15 to 20 sets high but no bulbs. Is this normal? ...

It is for what used to be called "equitant oncidiums". These plants
are now in the genus Tolumnia. As you've discovered, they like it
bright.

You should get some nice blooms soon.

J. Del Col