Old 15-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Pete

Default Largest Brassia species?

Which Brassia species produces the largest spidery flowers? Longissima or
gireoudiana?

Some say it's gireoudiana and some say longissima? I have a gireoudiana that
is spiking for me for the first time and this plant gets really HUGE fast.
It was a small seedling two years ago and now is a big specimen size plant.

I have a longissma hybrid which is actually 75% longissima and 25%
gireoudiana and the blooms were quite long (about 12 inches from top to
bottom, if I remember correctly) but the plant is much smaller in size. The
bulbs are much much smaller and flat with only one leaf or two to each bulb
which I guess is from longissima because gireoudiana has big bulbous bulbs
and 4 large leaves to each bulb.

Thanks in advance!

Pete

Old 15-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

My only brassia hybrid is Edvah Loo 'Nishida' AM/AOS (longissima x
gireoudiana), and it's flowers are taller than any of the parents I've ever
seen.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

Old 16-03-2003, 12:08 AM
Pete

Thanks for your reply!

I have never seen a gireoudiana in bloom, so I have no idea how big the
blooms are. I have never seen a longissima species in bloom either. I
guess I would have to wait for the gireoudiana to bloom and see.

I do have an Edvah Loo x longissima and the blooms were about 12" long if I
remember correctly.

Pete

Old 20-03-2003, 09:32 AM
Mark Stroube

Pete,
I think that Brs longissima is now properly known as Brs arcuigera. And
I am pretty sure that it is the larger of the two. -- Mark

Old 20-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Pete

Thanks! My gireoudiana now has 3 spikes and I'm looking forward to seeing
the blooms for the very first time.

Pete

.. .

Old 21-03-2003, 02:08 AM
Diane Mancino

what growing conditions are you using for your brassia. Mine keeps dropping
leaves- psuedo bulbs are fine. windowsill garden- recently changed window
locations-very sensitive to change??

Diane

Old 21-03-2003, 02:20 PM
Pete

Diane,

My Brassias get very very bright light, mine are growing under a 430 watt
HPS w SonAgro light and they seem to love it! In the summer, they all go
out in the sunny porch where they get full sun.

Pete

. ..

Old 21-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Diane Mancino

Thats it then- too little light move it back to the windowsill- I'm glad
its warmer so I can use the sill again.

Diane