Old 17-03-2003, 01:32 AM
Kevin

Default Metal Halide lights for orchids?

So I'm thinking about upgrading to HID lights. I currently am growing
orchids in a spare room, and it gets some natural light. I currently
have 4 flor tubes over a table full of orchids.

I'm thinking a 250 would do it, but the cost of a 400 is not that much
more. The theory being that I could move the light higher above the
plants and disperse the light further, therefore more plants. Any
experiences with HID lights for your garden?

Thanks...
Old 17-03-2003, 06:20 AM
Steve

When I made the move to HID I started with a 400 W metal halide. (Later
I got a 2nd fixture with both metal halide and HPS bulbs.) The 400 W
light enabled me to bloom several plants that I never bloomed with
fluorescent lights. I grow in the basement. If you grow in a living
space, I would stay away from the HPS lights. I found the light to be
kind of weird at first, though I have gotten used to it.

Steve

Old 19-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Kevin

Yeah, a few friends who grow way too many plants (is that possible?)
have Metal Halide/hps lights in areas where we congregate, and the
lights give a harsh cast to things- it seems to bother the non-plant
folks more than most.... Did you notice an improvement with the extra
HPS light? I'm thinking about one of those expensive MH lights with
extra red spectrum. Opinions?

thanks
Old 19-03-2003, 06:44 PM
Rob Halgren

Kevin wrote:

Yeah, a few friends who grow way too many plants (is that possible?)
have Metal Halide/hps lights in areas where we congregate, and the
lights give a harsh cast to things- it seems to bother the non-plant
folks more than most.... Did you notice an improvement with the extra
HPS light? I'm thinking about one of those expensive MH lights with
extra red spectrum. Opinions?

thanks

I've always found the MH lights more pleasant than HPS. I would
never have HPS in an area which I entertained guests. Different strokes
for different folks, I guess.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 24-03-2003, 05:32 AM
Steve

Ooops. Sorry to be late with a reply. I often get behind in my reading
of this newsgroup.
No, I can't say anything is growing better under the combination light.
The combination does have 800 watts total so I put the plants that need
the most light there. In my 400 W MH light, I have used Agrosun bulbs
starting a few months after I got the fixture. I can bloom just about
anything with that.

Steve