Old 11-02-2003, 04:55 AM
PeggyJ

Default Help-care for orchid

I just purchased an orchid plant. It is in beatuiful bloom now. How
do I care for it? When do orchids bloom? How long? I understand from
the label is likes indirect light, How much is that? If it is any
help, the label on the plant reads "Dtpx.Sun Prince X Phal.Ho's French
Fantasia. Any help would be appreciated. I love plants but have never
owned an orchid.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:55 AM
profpam

Susan has provided good advice for the Dtps. I must, however, add that
you need to keep it out of direct sunlight as the leaves cannot get red
(sunburned) and if so the plant will be slow to grow and/or recover. A
good place to grow a phal is in a sheer-curtained northern window and in
a room with a window or door that allows for good air circulation.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

--------------------------------------
Susan Erickson wrote:

On 10 Feb 2003 19:37:01 -0800, (PeggyJ)
wrote:

I just purchased an orchid plant. It is in beatuiful bloom now. How
do I care for it? When do orchids bloom? How long? I understand from
the label is likes indirect light, How much is that? If it is any
help, the label on the plant reads "Dtpx.Sun Prince X Phal.Ho's French
Fantasia. Any help would be appreciated. I love plants but have never
owned an orchid.

Your plant has been registered and the name is
Dtps Leopard Prince

It is a hybrid of a Doritis and a Phalaenopsis the Dtps stands
for Doritaenopsis. It likes filtered light. Keep the center of
the plant dry when you water. Do not let it stand dry for more
than a day because it likes to just dry out before it gets
watered again. It does not want to sit 3 days dry. On the other
hand it will die faster from over watering than 3 dry days. It
would like a higher than house humidity, so if you have other
plants in a group, add it. The combination of plants will cause a
small pocket of moister air. At times it will grow roots outside
the pot. These are called air roots. When you water, let them
get wet long enough that they turn from silver to green. Gently
fertilize with 1/2 strength plant food.

OK guys what did I forget and what do you want to add?

SuE