Old 22-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Ted

Default What is normal for Zga (Adelaide Meadows x Adelaide Original)

In the subject line, I have provided precisely what is on the tag.

It has three firm green pseudobulbs with plenty of healthy looking
leaves, and it has an inflorescence coming out of the largest of the
pseudobulbs along with a couple leaves. The inflorscence remains
healthy, as do the three flowers, altough I bought it for the fragrance
and the fragrance has faded. The leaves that came out with the
inflorescence, though, have turned brown. While I bought it in bloom,
I can find no trace of a previous bloom, unless it is normal to cut the
old inflorescence off allowing a new pseudobulbs to hide whatever is
left of the old inflorescence. From what is visible, it seems most
likely that this is the first bloom for this plant.

It is potted in a 7.5 cm plastic pot in moss. The moss has never dried
out, although with my watering habits, it is never sopping wet either.

The orientation of the flowers is odd, as if the whole plant had been
laying on its side while the first flower formed, and then placed right
side up while the second and third formed. The inflorscence itself is
as straight as an arrow.

I was told to grow it like a dendrobium. But my dends and catts are
happy with how I treat them, but although this one is treated the same
way, it doesn't look as happy.

I have no idea what genus or hybrid Zga is supposed to represent, so I
need someone to tell me about the plant and what is normal, especially
with respect to flowering, for this plant.

Is it possible I have begun killing it off by a mistake in how I treat
it (and that in only a couple weeks), or is what I am seeing normal for
this plant. At what point should I see a new pseudobulb forming?

Thanks,

Ted

R.E. (Ted) Byers, Ph.D., Ed.D.
R & D Decision Support Solutions
http://www.randddecisionsupportsolutions.com/
Healthy Living Through Informed Decision Making

Old 22-09-2005, 04:54 PM
K Barrett

I can't help you with the culture because I kill them too. Around here (N
Calif) they say to grow them like a cymbidium, FWIW

Zga is Zygopetalum x Neogardneria

It should have a growth habit and inflorescence like a zygopetalum, AFAIK.

Sorry not to be able to help with the brown leaves.

K Barrett

ups.com...

Old 24-09-2005, 04:26 PM
Ted

Thanks K Barrett,

I got a lot of hits with a search. Lots to go through to find what I
need.

Thanks again,

Old 27-09-2005, 02:34 AM
Ted

Well, I attended the COOS show in Cambridge Ontario yesterday. Great
show, and I took some nice pcitures. Since I am presently using
google, I don't have access to the abpo, so I'll look into putting them
opn my website. I didn't take down the details of the dislays, but
maybe I can get that from COOS and some of the growers/societies that
put up displays. In almost all cases, the owner of the display is
legible, so from that the IDs of the orchids visible should be
obtainable from the folk who put up the displays. Lots of awarded
plants.

And I picked up some vigourous catts, bare root, at a price that I
won't care if they end up as compost fodder, so I'll try them in
semihydro too.

I got plenty of clay pellets to use in semi-hydro, and the first plant
on the list to be put in semihydro is this Zygo. cross.

The bad news I got yesterday is that what I am seeing is not normal.
Instead, it is really bad in that the leaves that died were destined to
produce a new pseudobulb. The most likely explanantion appears to be
that it didn't like have the base of those leaves in contact with the
moss the plant was potted in. The alternate explanation was that I got
water trapped in the leaves, but I am careful to apply water only to
the surface of the growing medium. Tomorrow, it will be the first
plant I work with, and I'll remove all the dea material, soak the clay
pellets in water, pot this plant up in the pellets and give it a
quarter strength watering with the MSU fertilizer. Hopefully it will
send out new roots first, and then one or more of the eyes on the back
bulbs will sprout new leaves for new pseudobulbs.

Cheers,

Old 27-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Ray

Ted,

Zygos are notorious for rotting (including in S/H) if the rhizome is planted
too deeply, so I'd guess the zygoneria is similar. Keep it no lower than
the medium surface or slightly elevated.

Soak the LECA at least 24 hours before potting up, or it will take weeks to
stabilize its moisture content in the pot.

If you have the GreenCare MSU fertilizer, it is designed for use at 125 ppm
N at every watering. It does little good to dilute it to 25%, other than
starve your plant.

oups.com...