Old 26-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Rob

Default A little bragging

Ok, even I can brag once in a while. This weekend I got three fluffy
ribbons and a best in show on two plants. My Phrag. Sorcerers
Apprentice took best Phrag. But, the cool plant is Encyclia diota v.
atrorubens (a lot of taxonomic confusion on that name...). It got best
cattleya alliance, best specimen plant, best in show, and an 84pt CCM,
all once! Schweeeeet! I wasn't expecting even one ribbon on that
plant, I've had it for years and I've grown used to it. I didn't even
clean the leaves... *grin*

The diota had several spikes and a whole lot of flowers. For some
reason I didn't get my copy of the award description, and I'm not
counting them. One of the judges on the team said that it not only had
more flowers, but the flowers were bigger and better formed than
previous awards. Not sure why they didn't consider it for a quality
award, too (I'd really rather have an AM than a CCM). Flowers are a
dark purple/red with a magenta lip. Quite striking.

Yay me! OK, I've gotten that out of my system now...

Rob
--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 26-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Phalguy

Congratulations Rob!

Old 26-09-2005, 05:15 PM
?

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:28:05 -0400 in Rob wrote:
The diota had several spikes and a whole lot of flowers. For some
reason I didn't get my copy of the award description, and I'm not
counting them. One of the judges on the team said that it not only had
more flowers, but the flowers were bigger and better formed than
previous awards. Not sure why they didn't consider it for a quality
award, too (I'd really rather have an AM than a CCM). Flowers are a
dark purple/red with a magenta lip. Quite striking.

Have a photo of it tucked away on your website?

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil
Old 26-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Steve

Rob wrote:
[...]

Congratulations Rob! You had a really good day. :-)
Keep growing it, maybe they'll give you the AM/AOS next time.

Steve
Old 26-09-2005, 06:27 PM
Rob

? wrote:
On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:28:05 -0400 in Rob wrote:

The diota had several spikes and a whole lot of flowers. For some
reason I didn't get my copy of the award description, and I'm not
counting them. One of the judges on the team said that it not only had
more flowers, but the flowers were bigger and better formed than
previous awards. Not sure why they didn't consider it for a quality
award, too (I'd really rather have an AM than a CCM). Flowers are a
dark purple/red with a magenta lip. Quite striking.

Have a photo of it tucked away on your website?

Not directly linked to anything, but there are a couple of bad pictures
he

http://littlefrogfarm.com/images/Enc_diota.jpg
http://littlefrogfarm.com/images/Enc_diota_wide.jpg

I'm really bad at taking pictures, especially of dark flowers. The
flowers are actually a deep red/purple.

Old 26-09-2005, 08:16 PM
Diana Kulaga

Bragging occasionally is good for the orchid grower's soul! Congrats.

Diana

Old 26-09-2005, 09:24 PM
K Barrett

"Rob" wrote in message
[...]

Ha! I'm the opposite, I'd rather have the CCM than the AM, LOL!! The AM
(to me) says 'I know how to shop' whereas the CCM says 'I know how to shop
and grow'.

K Barrett

Old 26-09-2005, 09:58 PM
Rob

Ha! I'm the opposite, I'd rather have the CCM than the AM, LOL!! The AM
(to me) says 'I know how to shop' whereas the CCM says 'I know how to shop
and grow'.

K Barrett

When I bought that plant it was iffy whether I could grow anything at
all. I think it was among the first ones I bought. Certainly in the
first fifty. I've had that plant a long time, and it must be
bulletproof. It has gone uphill and downhill a number of times in the
last 15 years or so... Good genes, not good culture.

A few people asked me for pieces of it, but it is so married to its
mount that it would be impossible... I suppose I could mericlone it, if
I could find a lab that does that. Maybe I'll just self it and see what
happens. Unless somebody out there has a nice Enc. diota var.
atrorubens that is seeking love and affection.

Old 26-09-2005, 11:49 PM
J Fortuna

Rob,
Congratulations!
Joanna

Old 26-09-2005, 11:53 PM
Xi Wang

I too would like to add my congrats!

Cheers,
Xi

J Fortuna wrote:
Rob,
Congratulations!
Joanna

Old 27-09-2005, 12:36 AM

Rob wrote:
A few people asked me for pieces of it, but it is so married to its
mount that it would be impossible... I suppose I could mericlone it, if
I could find a lab that does that. Maybe I'll just self it and see what
happens. Unless somebody out there has a nice Enc. diota var.
atrorubens that is seeking love and affection.

Rob,

I currently have an Encyclia atrorubens in spike. Should be blooming
in about 6 weeks, I think. Yours will probably be done by then, but
perhaps you could save me some pollen? Email if you are interested.
I've tried selfing. Capsules developed nicely, but the seed lacked
embryos.

IIRC, Encyclia diota is spring blooming, while E. atrorubens is autumn
blooming. For me, that's enough to accept them as distinct species.
It would certainly tend to induce reproductive isolation.

Nick
myrmecodia-at-yahoo-dot-com

Old 27-09-2005, 05:36 AM
Susan Erickson

"Rob" wrote in message
Yay me! OK, I've gotten that out of my system now...

Rob
--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1
orchids, obtain more credit

Nice work. Keep it up.
I rather like that dark photo.
SuE
Old 14-03-2011, 11:08 PM
Registered User

Some people ask me for parts, but it is so Mans marriage, it will be impossible. I think I can mericlone it, if I can find a lab to do so. Perhaps my self, see what happens. Unless someone out there has a good salute.
Pond Kits