Old 09-10-2005, 02:42 AM
John DeGood

Default Lycaste culture question

I purchased a Lycaste deppei at our society auction in May 2004. It
grew one new growth last Fall, and this year it has started 2 growths.
This is my first Lycaste, so I don't know what is normal behavior.

I'm concerned because its leaves turn brown after just a few weeks.
This year the leaves seem to be dying even more quickly than last. Am I
correct to worry? I've read that one should avoid getting the leaves
wet, so I try to minimize that when I water.

Here's a photo of its current status:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdegood/orc...ste_deppei.jpg

I know that S/H culture is unusual for this species. I gave it a rest
period over the past year by occasionally (about every other week)
flushing the container with plain water, tipping the container to drain
the reservoir, and then letting it dry. I resumed normal S/H watering
with nutrient solution in the reservoir in late summer when active
growth began again. It receives several hours of morning sunlight in an
east-facing window.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

John
Old 09-10-2005, 03:38 PM
Ray

John,

I acquired a Lycaste aromatica (love that cinnamon scent!) via a collection
buyout, and put it immediately into S/H culture. I treat it no differently
that the phals it is sitting with on the bench, and it has multiplied and
bloomed bigger and better each year,

I lose the leaves fairly rapidly, too, but not in just a few weeks -
somewhere in the 8- to 10 is more my experience.

Jim Rowley found that watering dormancy-demanding plants in S/H year-round
is not an issue, but you have to withhold fertilizer during the dormant
period. His success is with nobile dens, but I suspect it applies more
broadly.