Old 09-10-2005, 08:27 AM
Bryan

Default MSU Fertilizer

Hello:

Anybody using MSU fertilizer care to comment on it's effectiveness etc...

-=Bryan=-

Old 09-10-2005, 02:32 PM
Ray

I have been using the GreenCare RO-water version since April of 2003. It is
designed to be used at 125 ppm N for continuous feeding (i.e., at every
watering). For about the first three- or four months, I used it at about
half that concentration, but ever since I decided to simply go with the
stated rate.

Since using it, I see faster growth, larger plants - including phals, paphs
and phrags with more leaves - and more reliable blooming. Most of my
vandaceous plants bloom at least twice a year, many three times, when they
were only annual bloomers previously.

Of most significance to me was the fact that several plants that had done
essentially nothing for extended periods of time sprang back to active
growth several months into this period. For example, I managed to "fry" an
Encyclia atrorubens when recovering the greenhouse. The pseudobulbs were
plump and green, but there were no leaves. For close to two years it stayed
that way - not desiccating, but no new growth. About two months after
starting with the fertilizing regime, a new growth sprang to life, and it
has grown and bloomed reliably ever since. I had a similar result with
Inobulbon munificum. It grew very slowly and never carried more than one
new pseudobulb to maturity before the last would start to wither, and no
blooming. After about a year or so under 'the treatment" it bloomed (photo
at a.b.p.o), and has been growing bigger each year.

Don't get me wrong. I do not think the MSU stuff is "magic." I switched
from using Dyna-Gro "Grow" formula at about 75 ppm N, so a lot of the
increased vigor could be merely due to increasing the feeding rate. The use
of the RO formula also saves me from making adjustments. Using D-G in RO
gives an exceedingly acidic pH, so it was necessary to make an adjustment
before feeding, and I did so with Pro-TeKt. With the size of my collection,
I feed via a dosing pump, and one cannot add "Grow" and Pro-TeKt
concentrates to the same tank, or all kinds of minerals will precipitate.
I, therefore, had to have two dosing pumps, monitor the outputs of each, and
verify the pH of the output.. With the GreenCare MSU formula, I mix the
powder in one tank and I'm ready to water.

I do believe that the formulation has an advantage with lower phosphorus.
The plants don't need all that much, so there is less being dumped into the
environment to potentially cause eutrification in ponds. The Commonwealth
of Pennsylvania (among other states, and all of Canada, I believe) are
starting to monitor and regulate phosphate waste in agriculture, so it's
nice to know that I'm contributing less to the problem. (I am aware of a
drive for phosphate reduction in oil drilling muds in Canada, so I assume
the ag part is there, are will be.)

Old 09-10-2005, 11:30 PM
Gene Schurg

Bryan,

I used whatever was on the shelf for the longest time. For a few years I
used DynaGro with good results. Last spring when my DynaGro started running
out I tried some MSU from Ray.

I also got rid of the mealie bugs (specially on my Phals) that popped up
regularly.

Between the two things I see the best healthiest Phals I've ever had. I'm
looking forward to some nice flowers this year.

On my Oncids, Catts, and Paphs they are doing well on the MSU but I can't
see the improvements that I see on the Phals. They look good.

My mounted plants all seem to be making good roots. My Vandaceous stuff has
great looking roots. I can't swear it's the MSU, it could be better
attention this summer. Since I don't keep any records that would show it's
only a guess.

My opinion is MSU is the same price (or cheaper) than the other name brands.
I'm happy with what I've seen to date and will continue using it.

One thing I was concerned about was that it would not dissolve well. I must
say it readily dissolves in water and I've never found any residue in the
bottom of the bucket. I would caution you that you have to keep the bag
tightly closed because it will obsorb moisture from the air very quickly and
you will be left with a salt block. A twist tie solves this problem.

Try it for 6 months and see if you see any change in your plants.

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 10-10-2005, 07:44 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

Didn't do any scientific tests but it seems to be working well for me. I've
bought it from Ray and from OrchidMix. I've been using it at lower than the
recommended rate - maybe once I get my greenhouse up (moved, no greenhouse
yet but LOTS of space for a nice big one this time) I'll try increasing the
dosage.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:16 AM
Bryan

Thanks for the reply folks. I think I am going to give the MSU a try. It is
a bit hard to find in Canada. I did find a source on Ebay, and it is mfg by
the "Blackmore Comany", if that means anything.

Ray:

That pic of the Inobulbon munificum. is beautiful and stunning to say the
least.

Cheers

Old 10-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Ray

FYI, it is actually manufactured by GreenCare, and Blackmore is the
wholesale distributor, so the stuff you're looking at is the original
formula. The stuff from Orchidmix.com is Wayne's own version, with a little
bit of "tweaking" of the formula.

Old 10-10-2005, 11:04 AM
Ray

By the way, if you are referring to the eBay offering of 1/2# for $3.95 plus
$5.95 shipping, be careful! I see at least three things wrong with the
offer:

1) The seller apparently doesn't know that Blackmore is not the
manufacturer.
2) They seem to think that there is one formula "specifically designed for
RO(Reverse-Osmosis) Water, Rain Water, and City Tap water," which is untrue.
There are two formulas, one for the pure sources, the other for tap- or well
water.
3) The price is outrageous!

And by the way, the comment about plants that "had been essentially dormant
for a year or more sprang back to life" appears to be a copy of my comments,
either here or on my website!

Old 10-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Ted Byers

"Bryan" wrote in message
Thanks for the reply folks. I think I am going to give the MSU a try. It
is
a bit hard to find in Canada. I did find a source on Ebay, and it is mfg
by
the "Blackmore Comany", if that means anything.

Visit the Canadian Orchid Congress website.
http://www.canadianorchidcongress.ca/

There you will find orchid societies and vendors all across Canada. I
bought a supply of the MSU fertilizer from a vendor at a SOOS meeting. I
have not seen him at the SOOS meetings in what seems like eons, but I am
sure that there exists many more than one vendor who has it. You could
always send email to each of the vendors in your area to see if they have it
or if they can get it.

Or, since you appear to have no qualms about buying over the internet, why
not just get it from Ray?

Cheers,

Ted
--
R.E. (Ted) Byers, Ph.D., Ed.D.
R & D Decision Support Solutions

Old 10-10-2005, 01:59 PM
Phalguy

Hello Bryan!

I got mine from AMA plastic, in Canada!

Here`s what they have:

Claude

Thank you for your interest in A.M.A. Plastics Ltd. Are you referring to
the Orchid Special fertilizer developed in conjunction with MSU?

If so, we have two types available:

- one is for well water 19-4-23

- one is for RO (reverse osmosis) water 13-3-15 RO Special

Both are $49.00 per bag + shipping.

If you are interested in ordering, please send us your name, shipping
address and phone/fax number and how many you would like to order. We will
contact you to obtain a credit card payment. We accept Visa and Mastercard.

Best regards,

Connie Bradt

www.amaplas.com

Old 10-10-2005, 02:02 PM
Phalguy

Hello Ted!

I have tried to buy my MSU fertilizer from Ray but I couln`t get it due to
custom regulation.
Ask Ray for more details but it didn`t work for me...

Ama plastic sells 25 pounds bag for 49.00 !

Claude

Old 10-10-2005, 02:49 PM
Ted Byers

"Phalguy" wrote in message
Hello Ted!

I have tried to buy my MSU fertilizer from Ray but I couln`t get it due to
custom regulation.
Ask Ray for more details but it didn`t work for me...

Ama plastic sells 25 pounds bag for 49.00 !

Hi Claude,

How are you and your plants? You must be an old pro growing them by now.

I wouldn't think if buying 25 pounds. That would keep me in fertilizer for
at least a few decades. But if you're an entreprenuer, perhaps you could
buy a bag or two and resell it in much smaller quantities to fellow orchid
growers. That is exactly what the vendor from whom I bought mine did.

I can't imagine why customs would prevent a Canadian from buying fertilizer
from an American. After all, we're best of buddies, right? ;-)

Cheers,

Ted

Old 10-10-2005, 03:29 PM
Rob

Ted Byers wrote:

I wouldn't think if buying 25 pounds. That would keep me in fertilizer for
at least a few decades. But if you're an entreprenuer, perhaps you could
buy a bag or two and resell it in much smaller quantities to fellow orchid
growers. That is exactly what the vendor from whom I bought mine did.

I can't imagine why customs would prevent a Canadian from buying fertilizer
from an American. After all, we're best of buddies, right? ;-)

Actually it is far cheaper if you buy 40 bags... But I can't imagine
most people wanting to do that. I think 4 or 5 dollars for a pound of
fertilizer is a reasonably good deal. Sure it is cheaper in bulk, but
if you aren't going to use it, it doesn't make sense.

If you do buy a big bag, consider dividing it up into 1 or two pound
increments when you first open it. I like the plastic deli containers
(16 oz or 32 oz), with a lid. I get mine at GFS. It will keep a lot
longer in sealed containers than in the big plastic bag. And if you
get too many deli containers, you can turn them into semi-hydro pots!

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 10-10-2005, 06:15 PM
Edmond Cormier

"Bryan" wrote in message
Thanks for the reply folks. I think I am going to give the MSU a try. It
is
a bit hard to find in Canada. I did find a source on Ebay, and it is mfg
by
the "Blackmore Comany", if that means anything.

Bryan: Check with Plant Prod. they have the equivalent of MSU; it's a Plug
fert.
Ed Cormier

Old 10-10-2005, 10:31 PM
Ray

The problem was more of an overzealous customs employee than the law, it
turns out. I have shipped all over Canada - as long as it's not Montreal!

Old 11-10-2005, 08:11 AM
Bryan

I don't believe it is a customs issue but a shipping issue. I believe it can
only be shipped by ground and not air parcel post. For what reasons I don't
know.

"Ted Byers" wrote in message

"Phalguy" wrote in message
Hello Ted!

I have tried to buy my MSU fertilizer from Ray but I couln`t get it due
custom regulation.
Ask Ray for more details but it didn`t work for me...

Ama plastic sells 25 pounds bag for 49.00 !

Hi Claude,

How are you and your plants? You must be an old pro growing them by now.

I wouldn't think if buying 25 pounds. That would keep me in fertilizer
for at least a few decades. But if you're an entreprenuer, perhaps you
could buy a bag or two and resell it in much smaller quantities to fellow
orchid growers. That is exactly what the vendor from whom I bought mine
did.

I can't imagine why customs would prevent a Canadian from buying
fertilizer from an American. After all, we're best of buddies, right?
;-)

Cheers,

Ted

MSU fertilizer Joern Ploeger Orchids 6 19-02-2005 08:20 PM
MSU Fertilizer Article Ray Orchids 1 06-04-2004 09:17 PM
MSU-type Fertilizer with Tap Water Matthew Donadio Orchids 8 27-02-2004 11:02 AM
MSU-type Fertilizer with Tap Water Matthew Donadio Orchids 0 26-02-2004 02:25 AM
Ray! About MSU fertilizer! Claude Orchids 1 29-01-2004 11:14 PM