Old 13-10-2005, 09:46 AM
Bryan

Default How to Pot this Dendrobium

Hello:

Purchased this little dendrobium online and was wondering the best way to
pot it. It came as seen in the pic in a 3" basket.

http://members.shaw.ca/bpl521/Pictur...20JENG%20X.jpg

Old 14-10-2005, 08:51 PM
Diana Kulaga

Wow, look at those roots!

One option is not to repot at all, unless the medium has broken down. Dends
like to be pot bound.

If you must repot, remember that Dends don't like to have their roots
disturbed, but I can't see any choice in this case.

I would trim the roots way back and pot this in your medium of choice. Keep
the pot as small as you can.

HTH

Diana

Old 15-10-2005, 07:47 AM
Bryan

Thanks Diana:

This is the way the Dendrobum came from the ebay seller. I was rather
shocked when I opened the package and saw all the roots.

I did not realize its ok to trim the roots back, how much should I take off.
Should I trim back by 50%.

Old 15-10-2005, 02:15 PM
Ray

I don't know how well it applies to dendrobiums, but I usually try to adjust
the size of the pot to the size of the root ball, rather than immediately
trimming the roots to fit a pot that looks appropriate for the plant.

Root trimming might still be required - and often is a bit of a "kick start"
to get the roots to branch - bit if the as-is roots are just about right for
a 6" pot, I might do minimal trimming to fit a 5", even if the plant might
seem to be more appropriate for a 4"-er.

Old 15-10-2005, 04:06 PM
K Barrett

Ray wrote:
I don't know how well it applies to dendrobiums, but I usually try to adjust
the size of the pot to the size of the root ball, rather than immediately
trimming the roots to fit a pot that looks appropriate for the plant.

Root trimming might still be required - and often is a bit of a "kick start"
to get the roots to branch - bit if the as-is roots are just about right for
a 6" pot, I might do minimal trimming to fit a 5", even if the plant might
seem to be more appropriate for a 4"-er.

And wetting the existing roots for 20 minutes or so allows them to get
pliable and more likely to wind without damage into a pot of suitable
size. That said you still may have to cut. In any case this is a challenge!

K Barrett