Old 16-10-2005, 05:36 PM
unknown

Default Hwra. question

so i've got this little hwra lava burst, and it has two pbulbs it was
blooming from when i got it in march (both now appropriately shrivelled
in my dry environment--i bought the plant in florida). it started a new
growth which doesn't actually have a bulb yet, just the leafy part--and
the silly plant is starting two flowers spikes from this growth. is
this normal for this type of plant? the only other onc-like plants i
have wait until they get fat pbulbs before they bloom. is the hwra
doing one of these "i'm-going-to-bloom-and-then-fall-over-dead"
routines? oh, plant is in sphag in a plastic pot in an eastern
windowsill in maryland zone 6b. TIA...

--j_a
Old 17-10-2005, 06:17 PM
Kenni Judd

Well, I think you do have cause for concern. But before actually panicking
G:

1. Gently check to see if the plant is "firm" in the pot. If so, you're
probably OK. If it's loose and wobbly, then your root system isn't doing
well and may not be able to support this attempt at flowering.

2. While you're at it, take a close look at the sphag -- how decayed is it?
It's hard to get good sphag here in Fla. unless you can buy a full container
load ... Has it perhaps dried to the point of becoming water-repellent? If
so, it will take a good long soak [20-30 minutes] to re-wet all the way
through. Actually, the soak might be a good idea anyway, since you say your
old pbs are shrivelled.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 17-10-2005, 10:54 PM

this is actually fairly recent sphag; i repotted the plant after i got
it home. (its original media had some sort of interesting wildlife in
it, i forget what.) it still gets squishy when watered, but that's
good to know....

the new growth has several roots of its own. i figured it was
acclimating to my conditions (all my new orchids do) but the flower
spikes kind of threw me.

ray--every orchid i've ever had in a clay pot has shrivelled up and
died. :-) for the most part my house is just too dry, apparently (ah
the joys of heat pumps).

thx all; i'll keep an eye on the thing and see what it does; it was a
sale plant at the AOS in DRB so if it croaks, i won't be too upset.
--j_a

Old 20-10-2005, 12:39 AM
Kenni Judd

If it had a decent root system when you re-potted, and is growing new ones,
then I expect you'll be OK. Glad it's not an heirloom, tho G. Kenni

ups.com...

Old 30-10-2005, 01:13 AM
bobc

Hi! I have Hwra. Lava Burst 'Puanani' in my windowsill. They are
about 3 or 4 years old. [I think I got them from JB Orchids]. Anyway,
I don't think they are susceptable to the dreaded "I'm going to bloom
before I die" syndrome - they are simply too hardy!!! LOL
Seriously, my plant (now spread over three pots) blooms whenever it
feels like it, and grows wherever I put it (within reason, of course).
In fact, the only 'problem' is that flower color is affected by
temperature. The deepest, most vibrant color is achieved in the cool
fall/winter weather. Summer bloom color is muy faded!
Two are in clay pots, and one is in plastic. Bark/perlite mix for
substrate, watered when dry. However I do mist the exposed roots every
day, and that also dampens the substrate surface.
Hope this helps! I'd recomend Hwra. Lava Burst as a good beginner's
orchid.
Bob Campoli - Philadelphia, Pa - Onc Sharry Baby 'Sweet Fragrance',
Neostylus Lou Sneary (waited 3 years for this one), an Slc. (Lc. Jungle
Elf x Soph. cernua), B. nodosa, Sl. Petite Stars (I think it's labeled
wrong and should be Bl.) are all in bloom or spike!