Old 17-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Ray

Default Howeara Lava Burst

I find that they do best if treated like tolumnias - grow them mounted, or
with no-, or a very fast drying medium in a tiny clay pot. Water them every
morning, without fail, and NEVER in the afternoon or later.

Old 17-10-2005, 10:48 PM
?

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 14:41:54 -0400 in Ray wrote:
I find that they do best if treated like tolumnias - grow them mounted, or
with no-, or a very fast drying medium in a tiny clay pot. Water them every
morning, without fail, and NEVER in the afternoon or later.

Hrm, mine hasn't bloomed yet, but it's putting off roots like mad
in a small SH pot.

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil
Old 21-10-2005, 12:50 AM
OrchidKitty

I have one too--Lava Burst 'Puanani' AM/AOS. I've had it for two years.
It's in a media of rocks, clay pellets, and bark. It blooms twice a
year. I treat it like a cattleya. It goes outdoors for the summer. In
winter, it is in a south-facing window and also gets 400 watt MH light.
It gets watered and fertilized like a cattleya, and no special
treatment. My guess is that your plant is getting used to S/H. When it
finally blooms, it will do it big time.

Old 22-10-2005, 02:14 AM
?

On 20 Oct 2005 15:50:51 -0700 in .com OrchidKitty wrote:
I have one too--Lava Burst 'Puanani' AM/AOS. I've had it for two years.
It's in a media of rocks, clay pellets, and bark. It blooms twice a
year. I treat it like a cattleya. It goes outdoors for the summer. In
winter, it is in a south-facing window and also gets 400 watt MH light.
It gets watered and fertilized like a cattleya, and no special
treatment. My guess is that your plant is getting used to S/H. When it
finally blooms, it will do it big time.

That's my thought as well.
Actually that depends.
My Odontocidium Wildcat seems to have fizzled after
two new blooms for its reblooming after being moved to SH.
My Miltonidium Hawaiian Sunset was appearing to try and do a phragenstein[1]
after it's move to SH. It finally decided to quit growing the spike
(inflorescence?) to ~2' before deciding it was time to start putting buds
on the tip.
Now if only I could convince my sharry baby that it wants to bloom
instead of growing a pseudobulb bigger than the pot...

[1] Google for phragenstein and you should find the tale of the
fellow with a phrag with 72" flower spike before he had a braino
and watered it with fertilizer concentrate.
Old 23-10-2005, 12:38 AM
unknown

In article ,
? wrote:

[1] Google for phragenstein and you should find the tale of the
fellow with a phrag with 72" flower spike before he had a braino
and watered it with fertilizer concentrate.

!!! jeebus!

--j_a