Old 23-10-2005, 06:20 PM
Roger Boughner

Default Ray's Hydroponic's - what not to plant?

I have done some hydro with orchids for a couple of years but only with a
few plants. Any plant that looks like it is dying gets moved to hydro. This
has mixed results. I do think it has saved some of them. The others may have
been doomed anyway. I even planted a garlic clove in one of Ray's small
hydro pots about a week ago and it is growing. I havent checked for root
growth yet. I expect they will do ok. I will post the final results of this
for those who may be interested after the possible harvest. Fresh garlic
grown all year long on the windowsill.
My real question is what orchid wont do well in hydro? I have some Oncidiums
and Dendrobiums that I was considering potting up to hydro. And a Cattleya
CTNA "Why Not" that never looks happy in conventional mix so I moved it back
into hydro. It was my origional "saved by hydro" plant. I even put Mary's
Vanilla (she just had to have it) into hydro. My present media is a silica
rock. It has excelent water holding and capilary action. I have some Aliflor
I picked up at Habitat for Humanity's store here in Indy. I plan to make a
hydro mix that may be improved over using either media by itself. I have
thrown in some Perlite on top with very small plants to get more root
contact. My origional hydro was a ceramic pot with a small cup in the bottom
to hold water. Filled with perlite and then pea gravel on top to keep
everything in place.
I also have noticed some of the media turning green from? Moss? Is that
good/bad?
So anyone hve any bad experience with hydro?
Or even good ones. If it works for you it may work for others.

Thanks
Roger in Indy

All see thru heavy plastic container's in my house have mysteriously
developed 2 holes in their sides. Mary is under the impression that I did
it! Thanks Ray!

Old 23-10-2005, 10:14 PM
Steve

Roger Boughner wrote:
My real question is what orchid wont do well in hydro?

Well, Stanhopias might be a problem if you want to see the flowers. :-)

I think you will find that your Oncidiums and Dendrobiums will do
surprisingly well in Semi-hydro.
I don't have all that many plants in semi-hydro at this time so I won't
try to make any broad claims, but I haven't had a bad experience yet.

Steve
Old 24-10-2005, 06:56 AM
Roger Boughner

Thanks Steve
Still wondering why my post is not showing up. I dont post often so it's
probably something I did. Hope I didnt spam the whole group.

Roger In Indy

"Steve" wrote in message