Old 25-10-2005, 03:10 AM
eeyore

Default white speckles on leaves

Hello,

Sorry I can't post photos, but I'm wondering if anyone could identify
what would cause a white, almost powdery look, on the top of the leaves.
This leads to yellow leaves or black blotches on the leaves and then a
dropping of all the leaves. Roots look fine, but not sure what chance I
have with nothing but roots.

Started with my phal's but is expanding to all varieties. Very hot
summer here so at first I assumed it was sunburn, but since it continues
into the fall, it has to be something else.

Hope someone can help, I'm not a scientific grower, just been having a
lot of fun buying orchids that have dropped their blooms for a cheap price,
and getting them to rebloom. I was doing great, until whatever this is took
over.

Thanks!

Old 25-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Ray

It's awfully hard to diagnose accurately based upon only that description,
but I'd guess some sort of insect or mite attack.

My first attempt at a "home remedy" would be to spray the affected plants
thoroughly with straight isopropyl rubbing alcohol, repeating every three
days for about three or four times.

Old 25-10-2005, 12:31 PM
eeyore

Thanks Ray,

I'll try that and look closer to see if I can see any insect activity.
Have a good day.

Old 26-10-2005, 04:25 AM
Steve

eeyore wrote:
Hello,

Sorry I can't post photos, but I'm wondering if anyone could identify
what would cause a white, almost powdery look, on the top of the leaves.
This leads to yellow leaves or black blotches on the leaves and then a
dropping of all the leaves. Roots look fine, but not sure what chance I
have with nothing but roots.

Started with my phal's but is expanding to all varieties. Very hot
summer here so at first I assumed it was sunburn, but since it continues
into the fall, it has to be something else.

Hope someone can help, I'm not a scientific grower, just been having a
lot of fun buying orchids that have dropped their blooms for a cheap price,
and getting them to rebloom. I was doing great, until whatever this is took
over.

Thanks!

Are you familiar enough with boisduval scale to rule that out? I'm
pretty sure that what you are describing is a much thinner layer than a
what a colony of scale would be. Still, if you didn't realize what you
were seeing and let it go, it sure can yellow the leaves and kill plants.
I searched the internet for a picture and the one on Ray's site was
better than most so I'll show that one:
http://www.firstrays.com/scale.htm

Steve
Old 27-10-2005, 12:42 AM
eeyore

Thanks,

Don't think it is insect, because if I look at it through a magnifying
glass, it looks more like a pitting of the leaves, than anything actually on
them. Tips and edges then turn brown, and then it is a matter of time. Due
to space considerations they were packed together, so in hindsight I can
understand that whatever it is would spread.

Thanks to all for responding.

Old 27-10-2005, 01:13 AM
eeyore

Found this on the internet. Though the original poster is complaining
about the bug, the white look on the leaves kind of matches
..
http://forum.theorchidsource.com/att...0-05-6_IMG.JPG

Old 27-10-2005, 05:04 AM
Bob Walsh

Try taking a piece of paper towel. Dampen very slightly with water or
alcohol and wipe the underside of the leaf. If it picks up a reddish or
brownish tint you probably have spider mites.

Try it and let us know.

Bob
.

Old 27-10-2005, 11:04 AM
Ray

The appearance is classic for mite damage, and some are damned hard to see
without a magnifying glass or better device.

Old 29-10-2005, 09:24 PM
Kenni Judd

Ray is correct, it sounds exactly like mites. There are many varieties, in
a spectrum of colors. Unless your eyes are a whole lot better than mine,
you need something stronger than the average magnifying glass to see them.
A jeweler's loupe might be a good option.

Repeated applications of the alcohol suggested by another poster will
eventually kill them, if they haven't gotten down into the potting medium.
Likewise, oil sprays such as Neem or Sunspray, if your weather is not too
hot for safe usage on those. But the applications must be repeated
regularly, and if the infestation is spreading as you describe, I would
recommend repotting all affected plants as you go along. Topical treatments
like alcohol or oil will not kill any of the critters that have gotten down
into the potting mix.

Effective systemic miticides are _expensive_ and hard to come by. Before
investing, you really need to identify the particular type of mite that you
have, because none that we've been able to find will kill all of them.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 03-11-2005, 03:12 AM
eeyore

Sorry for not posting sooner to thank all of you who replied. Not sure
where I'll go from here, but thanks for all the ideas and input. Whatever
it was seems to have run it's course. I'll have to keep a closer watch in
the future. Thanks again!