Old 29-10-2005, 08:53 PM
sandra

Default Light Reflector?

I was wondering, does a light reflector may any difference on how much
light a plant recieves, I was just curious because I bought a few light
fixtures without reflectors for winter
-Thanks

Old 30-10-2005, 07:21 AM
Munir

With lights in general, reflectors make a big difference. A 180 degree,
semicircular, metal reflector can double the amount of illumination.
And a focused, parabolic, mirror-coated one can make the light even
more intense. But with orchids, which are sensitive to direct light, I
suppose you'd also need a diffuser.

Do you have a light meter? The important thing is to make sure the
orchids are receiving the right illumination for their type. In the
Ortho books "Complete Guide to Orchids," they have one chapter devoted
to light. On page 44, they list ideal light ranges in foot-candles for
most orchids. More illumination isn't always better, so knowing what
the plants need vs. what they're receiving is important.

-Munir

Old 30-10-2005, 02:38 PM
Ray

Of course it does.

A bulb - unless it has it's own reflector - puts out light from its entire
circumference. The light emanating from those parts of the bulb not facing
the plant can only get to them by reflecting off of some surface, and a
reflector.does so the most efficiently.

If your growing area has a white ceiling, that will reflect some, but the
inverse-square law means the amount actually reaching the plants off of it
is probably negligible.

oups.com...

Old 30-10-2005, 05:02 PM
jadel

sandra wrote:
I was wondering, does a light reflector may any difference on how much
light a plant recieves, I was just curious because I bought a few light
fixtures without reflectors for winter

Unless you provide reflectors for them, you will be wasting lots of
light and electricity.

J. Del Col

Old 30-10-2005, 10:21 PM
sandra

I know this may sound dumb, but is there anyway I can buy reflectors
for 48 inch T12 fixture?
Thanks

Old 31-10-2005, 01:01 PM
jadel

sandra wrote:
I know this may sound dumb, but is there anyway I can buy reflectors
for 48 inch T12 fixture?

Not that I know of. You might make reflectors out of sheets of white
anodized aluminum "flashing" material available at any home improvement
store.

Or, you could take the fixtures back to where you got them and exchange
them for 48 inch shop lights that already have reflectors.

J. Del Col

Old 31-10-2005, 07:06 PM
sandra

Hi Jadel, another dumb question, would maybe aluminum foil work, a
friend of mine works at a photo place, and they use their own foil
reflectors for a cheap price.

Old 31-10-2005, 07:51 PM
jadel

sandra wrote:
Hi Jadel, another dumb question, would maybe aluminum foil work,...

It wouldn't last, and you'd be replacing it frequently. A flat white
surface is the best reflector, better than foil.

J. Del Col