Old 05-11-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Spike? Cane?

Can someone tell me what a spike looks like? I know a Den has canes.
Are they similar?

Old 05-11-2005, 09:56 PM
?

On 5 Nov 2005 12:01:20 -0800 in . com wrote:
Can someone tell me what a spike looks like? I know a Den has canes.
Are they similar?

Just Freaking Google It.

http://www.orchids.com/support/supportGlossary.html

A spike would be an unbranched inflorescence of unstalked flowers...

I guess if you squinted your eyes hard at a nobile type dendrobium
that drops leaves before blooming would have a cane that makes you
think it's a spike.

Now, is there a word similar to panicle, but for when the flowers
closer to the top bloom first (My mtdm has ~100 buds on it, two bloomed).

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil
Old 06-11-2005, 02:25 AM
Ray

Cool it, Chris. Such an outburst is uncalled for. Putting it a bit more
classily:

"Spike" is often used as a generic term for inflorescence - the growth that
supports the flower structures. Check out this for the specific types:

http://www.firstrays.com/inflorescences.htm

In dendrobiums, a new growth is often called a cane, but that is actually an
elongated pseudobulb.

"?" wrote in message
rg...
On 5 Nov 2005 12:01:20 -0800 in
. com

Old 06-11-2005, 06:02 AM
J Fortuna

Harri85274,

Here is an image of a Phal in "spike" -- this spike will later develop buds
and then flowers. The flowers will then be supplied with water and nutrients
through the spike.
http://www.wickfordorchids.com/orchi...mage_spike.jpg

In contrast a Dendrobium's cane is used for water storage. Leaves will grow
out of the cane. Here is a photo of a Dendrobium's cane (in the front) and
then further back in the photo the flowers of a Dendrobium are on a spike.
So this photo shows both of these plant parts.
http://www.themangrovetree.com/images/dendrobium.jpg

I hope this helps,
Joanna

ups.com...

Old 06-11-2005, 10:23 PM

Thank you, Ray. and also thanks to "CHris", who seems to get pleasure
in critizing instead of helping, which i and others assumed this forum
was for. I did do a google search and it did not inform me as well as
Rays sketches.

Old 06-11-2005, 10:25 PM
?

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 20:56:16 GMT in ? wrote:

[Me ranting and being a smartass snipped]

My apologies. I've been a bit irritable since Tuesday evening.

I still suggest googling as a first research try. Read three unrelated
hits and if they're all similar, they're probably on target.

As for spelling, I trust here over google's suggestions :-).

Ray's http://www.firstrays.com/free_info.htm is an excellent source
of information, and he's the only person I've stumbled across that
sanely uses diagrams and photos.
--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil

Rasberry Cane Pruning. mark United Kingdom 2 09-03-2009 11:16 AM
to let spike or not to let spike? J Fortuna Orchids 15 05-12-2005 04:38 AM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 07:43 PM
Sugar cane [Was: Vegans, facts, ranting, bigotry and other related subjects....] Phred sci.agriculture 3 26-04-2003 01:23 PM
best way to kill golden cane palm? rapdor Australia 2 20-04-2003 02:44 PM