GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   REPOTTING ROOTS (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/108809-repotting-roots.html)

bob 06-11-2005 02:49 PM

REPOTTING ROOTS

I wish to repot some orchids that have been in open hanging wooden
baskets. The roots (Whitish thin roundish things) have grasped the
slats of the planters. Other than cutting these roots free is there a
simple way to seperate the entangled roots from their attachements?
HELP PLEASE!!!
Bob

Ray 06-11-2005 05:31 PM

REPOTTING ROOTS

There will be some damage, no matter what you do, but if find that removing
the wires that hold the basket corners together, then soaking the entire
thing in warmish water for several hours tends to loosen things up a bit.
After that, it's just a matter of gentle persistence.

oups.com...

? 06-11-2005 09:06 PM

REPOTTING ROOTS

On 6 Nov 2005 06:49:12 -0800 in .com bob wrote:
I wish to repot some orchids that have been in open hanging wooden
baskets. The roots (Whitish thin roundish things) have grasped the
slats of the planters. Other than cutting these roots free is there a
simple way to seperate the entangled roots from their attachements?
HELP PLEASE!!!

repot, or rebasket?
Any problems with slipping the current basket into a bigger basket?

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil