Old 27-11-2005, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7

Default OrchidWiz CD

Kathy, You have me piqued! *G* Is all the data on one disk or do you have
to hook up
to a web site & glean from there? (Not sure of the computer terminology)
Also are the updates like those from the old Sanders books, new stuff?
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

K Barrett wrote:
wendy7 wrote:
Good review writeup Kathy, I was going to buy it but now I will just
ask you! *G*
I will just stick to growing the plants etc.

I was thinking of you when I wrote it. Ask for it for Christmas, *G*.

But let's say you *did* want to clean up your tags.(let's be frank,
your tags are a mess, LOL!! and we've known each other long enough
that I can say that and not hurt your feelings)

1) You could ask me.

2) You could search the RHS database. (The RHS database is a pain in
the neck because one has to spell out the genus, and I can never
rememeber if its sophrolaeliocattleya or sophrolaeliacattleya. I
never know whether there really *are* no results or if I misspelled
the genus...)
3) You could use Wildcatt or OrchidWiz.

OrchidWiz allows you just to put in a name and every orchid with those
keystrokes anywhere in the name shows up. So for example we put in
'Winston Churchill' and came up with Paph Winston Churchill and we
were all amazed to find out there was a Lc Sir Winston Churchill. In
Wildcatt you'd never have found the cattleya cross because it only
searches in one section, like 'paphs', or 'dendrobiums'. Also in
OrchidWiz if there's a plant whose name has changed - like diacrum for
caulaurton (or however you spell it) that shows as a synomym. I have
to look to see if it lists all the changes the RHS has made to
Oncidium. Like Colmanara Wildcat is something else now. (Yes, it
does! And shows a cute little picture that you can enlarge to
viewing size.)
Let's say you only remember the clonal name of an orchid. In Wildcatt
if you only knew the clonal name of an orchid you'd go to 'AQ
search', in 'clonal' you'd type in 2 dots, the clonal name and 2
dots, click 'search' and see what comes up. I mean, why do you have
to put 2 dots in front and behind a clonal name in order to search? Here
you click on 'search', a drop down menu offers a search on
orchid, genus, cultivar (Ray), or image. Or exhibitors only. You can
check all of Wilford Neptune's CCMs, *G*. (shows 100 awards.) What's
interesting about Wilford is sometimes he's Wilford, "MD" or "Dr."
Wilford. In Wildcatt you have to know which one you are searching
for. Here you just type in 'Wilford' and all the Wilfords show.

So, I didn't mean to talk you out of it. Does this pique your
interest more?

Old 27-11-2005, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

wendy7 wrote:
Kathy, You have me piqued! *G* Is all the data on one disk or do you have
to hook up
to a web site & glean from there? (Not sure of the computer terminology)
Also are the updates like those from the old Sanders books, new stuff?

All the data and the screen saver is on one CD disk. You pop it in the
computer, it first puts on an installing software (microsoft program)
then installs itself. Like I said, on my desktop it was bang-zoom.
Done. No worries.

I can't recall what it says from the webpage, but I think it updates 4
times a year. I think the cost was $20 per update. You can skip an
update if you want, the next update includes all previous information.
Wildcatt updates twice a year, and I cant recall the amount for that.

K Barrett
Old 27-11-2005, 05:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Bill wrote:
Hi All, I have had Orchidwiz for a while-- didn't have any problem
installing it on Windows XP but I'm sure you will find Alex very
helpful if you do have a problem. The screensaver (that come free) is
fascinating. It shows a hybrid & it's parents & keeps changing. I can't
get passed Cattleyas but I'm sure there is more (seems to be endless) I
have noticed several people have added disclaimers saying they are not
in any way part of the company. I am not either. As a matter of fact I
had no clue who Alex was tho I go to the West Palm Judging a lot (he's
a student judge) I did introduce myself to him last judging. BUT I
probably sound like a salesman I'm so happy with this program. In a
stated !!! This program is an Orchid Wiz !! I'm sure it will be better
w/more photos but it has plenty now. Good Growing, Bill

I know! I was trying to decide if I sounded like a salesman, and vowed
to stop posting on the subject, LOL!! Its hard not to gush.

The real question is WHY the AOS is trying to create their own CD when
this one is here!!! Already done. Only for award photos?? That'd be
the only draw. And from what I understand there's an award photographer
who is holding out on their use of his photos, so they are going ahead
without his pictures anyway.

K Barrett
Old 27-11-2005, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

K Barrett wrote:
[snip]

The real question is WHY the AOS is trying to create their own CD when
this one is here!!! Already done. Only for award photos?? That'd be
the only draw. And from what I understand there's an award photographer
who is holding out on their use of his photos, so they are going ahead
without his pictures anyway.

K Barrett

And replying to my own post:

What would it take to get this onto a PDA or other hand held device?
There are several with larger screens now, so viewing information in a
small screen isn't the limiting factor anymore. THAT'S what we need. I
should email Alex and ask. If he can get it onto a pda he'd make a
million bucks.

K Barrett

Old 27-11-2005, 09:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Keith: I have not yet tried this software [I've been a little too busy
recovering from H. Wilma], but I do have acquaintance with Alex Maximiano.
He's a good guy.

I see him regularly at shows, and he takes a lot of pics of my plants. I
assume but don't know that at least some of them are in this program.
Unlike _many_ other photographers, Alex has always been extremely courteous
and considerate. E.g., he always asked permission, made sure to stay out of
the way of paying customers while he was shooting, and didn't muck up my
booth or break plants moving things around to get "the perfect shot." Alex
also sent me copies of the pics he took of my plants, for my own use. [Lots
of photographers say they'll do this, but only about 5% actually follow
through and do it.]

We are all human, which means we all make errors from time to time. If
Alex makes a mistake, and then makes it right at no cost to the purchaser,
without lengthy hold time to phone-in a complaint, making the purchaser fill
out and mail lengthy forms, or even return the defective one, he's way ahead
of most software providers I've dealt with -- although I should also note
that Helga at WildCatt is also very good in this regard. When I needed to
re-install WildCatt a while back, she sent me a new (then-current) CD free
of charge so I wouldn't have to go through the process with my ancient
original and a whole pile of update disks.

If you don't want, or don't want to spend the $$ for, the product he's
developed, that's certainly your free right and choice. But it doesn't seem
like a good reason to denounce the product, or the producer, sight-unseen,
on a public forum.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"keith ;-)" wrote in message
news

"Reka" wrote in message
.. .
In article , keith.kent3
@REMOVETHISntlworld.com says...
Sounds like a few bugs need to be fixed with the software.
Keith

No, Alex assumes my problem was a mistake on his part when burning the
CD. He is sending me a new one.
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

A bug with the software provider then.
Keith

Old 28-11-2005, 02:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
danny

I am a judging photographer, and I don't really have a contract with AOS
that I know of.
-danny

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
You don't. But the photographer undoubtedly has a contract with AOS ...
Kenni
.. .

Old 28-11-2005, 04:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

I don't know what the hold up is either. As far as I know you grant the
AOS use of your pictures for whatever purpose they want. (its in the
Handbook somewhere and I think on the place where you sign -
photographer's list (??? I may be wrong about that) I have been led to
believe its Charles Marden Fitch who's the main holdout, but no one has
ever truely stated his name as the holdout... so this could be rumor.
As far as I'm concerned the judging region (of whomever is holding out)
needs only have a second person with a digital camera to take pictures
of awarded plants. Use those for AOS purposes.

K Barrett

Old 28-11-2005, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
keith ;-\)

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
[...]

"keith ;-)" wrote in message
news

"Reka" wrote in message
.. .
In article , keith.kent3
@REMOVETHISntlworld.com says...
Sounds like a few bugs need to be fixed with the software.
Keith

No, Alex assumes my problem was a mistake on his part when burning the
CD. He is sending me a new one.
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

A bug with the software provider then.
Keith

Hi Kenni.

Snip
If you don't want, or don't want to spend the $$ for, the product he's
developed, that's certainly your free right and choice. But it doesn't seem
like a good reason to denounce the product, or the producer, sight-unseen,
on a public forum.

I dont see how saying there could be a bug with the software denouncing the
product/producer,this happens all the time with new software and different
operating systems.Remember when XP came out there were huge problems.I have
had software not work or crash on my pc ,i am sure we all have.And Reka
stated it was the mistake of the producer ,i said a bug sarcasticly
following on from my post.Which it obviously was.
Thanks Keith

Old 02-12-2005, 08:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Lady Blacksword

I'd go for that, especially if it could be made small enough to fit in a 1
or 2 GB SD card, which is what I put the maps for my Garmin GPS Palm on.
Murri

"K Barrett" wrote in message
[snip]

Old 02-12-2005, 11:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Turns out a PDA type program was what Alex had been trying to make. I
guess the program is too big to run (with any functionality) on a PDA.
I've looked at PDAs since posting this (becasue I never believe anyone
had have to figure it out for myself) and I see that the processors are
very slow, and they have miserable memory. The OrchidWiz program is big
and a slow processor would only make it crawl at a snail's pace, no?

That said there are a few HP iPAQs with large screens that work in
either portrait or landscape... or tablet PCs.

K Barrett

K Barrett

Lady Blacksword wrote:
I'd go for that, especially if it could be made small enough to fit in a 1
or 2 GB SD card, which is what I put the maps for my Garmin GPS Palm on.
Murri

"K Barrett" wrote in message

[snip]

Old 03-12-2005, 08:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Lady Blacksword

You might suggest to Alex that he do a pared down version- no pics, just
text, and use the simplest graphics for the interface. My palm is capable of
using whatever size of SD card you feel like giving it, and I think there
are 5 or 7 GB cards availible now.
Murri

Lady Blacksword wrote:
I'd go for that, especially if it could be made small enough to fit in a
1 or 2 GB SD card, which is what I put the maps for my Garmin GPS Palm
on.
Murri

"K Barrett" wrote in message

[snip]

Old 03-12-2005, 09:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7

Kathy, I am still following this thread & wouldn't it be easier just
to have a laptop with you?

--

Lady Blacksword wrote:
I'd go for that, especially if it could be made small enough to fit
in a 1 or 2 GB SD card, which is what I put the maps for my Garmin
GPS Palm on. Murri

"K Barrett" wrote in message

[snip]

OrchidWiz 4.0 K Barrett Orchids 19 03-07-2007 02:26 PM
New program: Orchidwiz Bill Orchids 9 21-11-2005 08:46 PM