Old 26-11-2005, 05:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Default OrchidWiz CD

I took OrchidWiz to judging on Monday 11/21. I showed it to several of
the judges and we all came away wondering why the AOS is bothering to
create an awards CD of their own. This thing kicks ass and its already
here. Why don't they just buy him out?

At first I only saw the use of this program in terms of researching AOS
awards. It really does a mind blowing job of providing data for
comparing awards. It'll list a flower's awards from 1932 to the most
recent AQ in a table, and you can click on the heading in each column to
re-sort the data according to that criterion. So if you want to compare
according to petal width you can. If you want to compare to dorsal sepal
width, you can. If you want to compare to natural spread, you can.
Click of a button. Very cool

Even cooler is you can compare the offspring's awards (if there are any)
to the stats for the parents' awards. It will give you the size range
and where this flower falls withing that range.

No award photos but it does have photos from contributors and open
source drawings, like from Lindliana. So the parent trees show thumbnail
pictures if he has them. And not only one picture but whatever he has.
So click on C mossiae will bring up a variety of color forms and
drawings. Click on the thumbnail and the image enlarges. Very cool.
Now, its not like he has a ton of photos. Far from it. But the feature
will evolve, I hope, as people send in pictures.

But aside from AOS awards, I mean, the list of what this disk does goes
on and on. When I looked at the web page it sorta was - I dunno - I was
mystified as to what was so great about the product that I'd dump
Wildcatt for this, or plunk down additional money for this. There
wasn't really anything on the webpage that made me want to buy this.
But I took a leap of faith. I think the web page is so vague because you
*can't* list everything this program does. Its like trying to describe
the taste of an apple. I'm sure as the word gets out people will bring
it to meetings and you'll be able to check it out for yourselves.

Sheesh, it even has culture guides, LOL!! Based of parental species
makeup - and yes he cautions you that there's no guarantee of genetic
make up in a complex hybrid.

If you never needed Wildcatt you won't want to buy this either. You can
use the RHS database and you'll be OK. If you already have Wildcatt and
rarely use it, you won't need this either. Why bother? For you its
redundant. If you need to research parentage, breeding lines, or awards
this is the program to get.

I'm not connected with OrchidWiz, or anything. Heck I can't even recall
the name of the fellow who created the CD.

K Barrett
Old 26-11-2005, 03:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7

Good review writeup Kathy, I was going to buy it but now I will just
ask you! *G*
I will just stick to growing the plants etc.

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 26-11-2005, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

wendy7 wrote:
Good review writeup Kathy, I was going to buy it but now I will just
ask you! *G*
I will just stick to growing the plants etc.

I was thinking of you when I wrote it. Ask for it for Christmas, *G*.

But let's say you *did* want to clean up your tags.(let's be frank, your
tags are a mess, LOL!! and we've known each other long enough that I can
say that and not hurt your feelings)

1) You could ask me.

2) You could search the RHS database. (The RHS database is a pain in the
neck because one has to spell out the genus, and I can never rememeber
if its sophrolaeliocattleya or sophrolaeliacattleya. I never know
whether there really *are* no results or if I misspelled the genus...)

3) You could use Wildcatt or OrchidWiz.

OrchidWiz allows you just to put in a name and every orchid with those
keystrokes anywhere in the name shows up. So for example we put in
'Winston Churchill' and came up with Paph Winston Churchill and we were
all amazed to find out there was a Lc Sir Winston Churchill. In
Wildcatt you'd never have found the cattleya cross because it only
searches in one section, like 'paphs', or 'dendrobiums'. Also in
OrchidWiz if there's a plant whose name has changed - like diacrum for
caulaurton (or however you spell it) that shows as a synomym. I have to
look to see if it lists all the changes the RHS has made to Oncidium.
Like Colmanara Wildcat is something else now. (Yes, it does! And shows
a cute little picture that you can enlarge to viewing size.)

Let's say you only remember the clonal name of an orchid. In Wildcatt if
you only knew the clonal name of an orchid you'd go to 'AQ search', in
'clonal' you'd type in 2 dots, the clonal name and 2 dots, click
'search' and see what comes up. I mean, why do you have to put 2 dots in
front and behind a clonal name in order to search? Here you click on
'search', a drop down menu offers a search on orchid, genus, cultivar
(Ray), or image. Or exhibitors only. You can check all of Wilford
Neptune's CCMs, *G*. (shows 100 awards.) What's interesting about
Wilford is sometimes he's Wilford, "MD" or "Dr." Wilford. In Wildcatt
you have to know which one you are searching for. Here you just type in
'Wilford' and all the Wilfords show.

So, I didn't mean to talk you out of it. Does this pique your interest
more?

Old 26-11-2005, 07:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Thanks for the information, Kathy. This sounds like something we ought to
have for when the judges come calling to our show.

Diana

Old 26-11-2005, 08:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

K - In case you do need to go to the RHS site in future (e.g, for things
too new to be in your latest update of Orchidwiz) -- just leave the genus
field blank. Much easier that way, although it will sometimes get you some
"extraneous" hits. I'd rather get extra than miss the right one, and it's
usually easy to sort them out [the exception being when the same grex name
has been to, say, a C. and a Blc. or Lc. -- a practice that I don't think
should be permitted, but apparently it is]. Kenni

Old 26-11-2005, 10:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7

Yes Kathy & Frank knows how bad my tags are. You can't hurt my feelings,
I am thick skinned but very shy.....remember.
Yes you've got me going again. Sounds like the database was built
using Microsoft Access.
Will have to put it on my list for Santa.
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply
"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..

Old 27-11-2005, 05:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Thanks Kenni! One of these days I'll tell you the story about tracking
down parentage for Odm. Rawdon Jester. Turns out another fellow and I
were both using the RHS database & getting completely different results.
We also both complained to Julian Shaw about it (unbeknownst to each
other.) Shaw must have thought we were crazy.

Old 27-11-2005, 01:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bill

Hi All, I have had Orchidwiz for a while-- didn't have any problem
installing it on Windows XP but I'm sure you will find Alex very
helpful if you do have a problem. The screensaver (that come free) is
fascinating. It shows a hybrid & it's parents & keeps changing. I can't
get passed Cattleyas but I'm sure there is more (seems to be endless) I
have noticed several people have added disclaimers saying they are not
in any way part of the company. I am not either. As a matter of fact I
had no clue who Alex was tho I go to the West Palm Judging a lot (he's
a student judge) I did introduce myself to him last judging. BUT I
probably sound like a salesman I'm so happy with this program. In a
stated !!! This program is an Orchid Wiz !! I'm sure it will be better
w/more photos but it has plenty now. Good Growing, Bill

Old 27-11-2005, 01:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Reka

In article , keith.kent3
@REMOVETHISntlworld.com says...
Sounds like a few bugs need to be fixed with the software.
Keith

No, Alex assumes my problem was a mistake on his part when burning the
CD. He is sending me a new one.
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html
Old 27-11-2005, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
keith ;-\)

"Reka" wrote in message
.. .
In article , keith.kent3
@REMOVETHISntlworld.com says...
Sounds like a few bugs need to be fixed with the software.
Keith

No, Alex assumes my problem was a mistake on his part when burning the
CD. He is sending me a new one.
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

A bug with the software provider then.
Keith

OrchidWiz 4.0 K Barrett Orchids 19 03-07-2007 02:26 PM
New program: Orchidwiz Bill Orchids 9 21-11-2005 08:46 PM