Old 13-12-2005, 12:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
bobc

Default Phrag Court Jester vs Angraecum calceolus

Hello group!
I grow in a windowsill, which means space is at a premium, and yes I
already have three rows of hanging pots plus the sill space covered.
The window faces ESE (more or less). I'm not sure which plant needs
more light. My literature suggests both can grow with 'low' light
levels (low for an orchid, that is). I have also read that Ang.
calceolus grows 'damp and shady'.
My opinion is the Phrag needs a brighter situation, and that is how it
is at present. The Ang. is about two and a half to three years old,
but without flowers yet.
Is the Angraecum still too young? Or should I expect flowers and try
to squeeze it into a brighter position? The plant is 4" tall with
leaves about 4" or 5" long.
Thank you in advance!
Bob Campoli - Philadelphia, PA

Old 14-12-2005, 05:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Paul Simon

Hi Bob,

About the Angcm. calceolus; I've had one for several years. I grow it with
everything else in the GH so I don't think the low light is a requirement.
It may be why it's not blooming. At that size there should be a few
inflorescences coming out. They are easy to miss, only about the thickness
of a thin pencil lead. As for maintenance, I throw water and fertilizer on
it when I'm fertilizing anything else. It is mounted, isn't it?

Paul Simon
oups.com...

Old 17-12-2005, 12:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
bobc

Thanks, Paul. It's not mounted, but in a 3" plastic pot, bark mix
substrate. I'm experimenting with mounted orchids in a home
environment - Soph. cernua is doing excellent, Den. bigibbum is doing
well, Aerangis citrata and Enc. polybulbon are hanging on (it's still
too soon to tell if they're adjusting or getting their affairs in order
g).
If the final two adjust, I'll assume (should I?) that mounted plants
are a viable alternative to potting, in my environment.
I do not run a humidifier, depending instead on the naturally higher
humidity present among a group of plants, in addition to pebble trays.
I know some discount their effectiveness, however, since my windowsill
and shelves are lined with them, they seem to help - for me. Plus, I
like 'misting' the plants too. I just have to be careful not to get
certain plants' inflorescences too wet - they rot here.

Phrag Court Jester bobc[_2_] Orchids 6 13-03-2008 06:08 PM
POE 2007 - Angraecum doratophyllum - strange pendant Angraecum Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 0 28-02-2007 05:02 AM
Angreacum calceolus and Den. forbesii bobc Orchids 5 21-08-2006 05:57 PM
Phrag Court Jester bobc Orchids 2 04-07-2006 09:27 PM
Availability of Cypripedium calceolus S.M. Wellinga Orchids 0 02-10-2003 10:22 PM