Old 17-12-2005, 10:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
emntee

Default Who We Are revisited

Thanks for the nice welcome

Dave said...

Welcome, Tony. Do you grow any of the WA terrestrials?

I do indeed. They are so easy to grow here as all we have to do is
leave the pots outside all year. They have the same conditions that
they have in the bush.

Several members of our
society went over for the conference recently past. Were you there?

Was I what!!

Mavis and I were on the organising Committee. We had a ball. And
managed to get the best Species and the Best Dendrobium too. You can
see all the results here

http://www.orchidswa.org.au/Conference%20Photos.htm

Two years of planning and it all came together just nicely. So long as
you ignore a few blips. But there are always a few blips. We plan to do
it all again in three years time and have learned heaps from our first
effort.

Given your
interests, it's a shame the WA climate precludes native epiphytes.
That must
also be a bit of a trial for growing the hardcane Dens you have!

No. actually Aust Natives are very forgiving and so long as they get
their fair share of water, they will do very well.same applies to the
Hardcanes.

Reka said

Ohmigod! A whole page of Thelymitras...

No. Far more than a whole page. I haven't counted the pages recently
but I think it is in the order of around 250 pages of Thelymitras.

I have died and gone to heaven!

No. Heaven is in WA ;-)

Beautiful pictures.

Thank you. I only wish I had taken them. But Ron Heberle will be
smiling in his grave at your comments.

John Varigos said

Hi Tony
Welcome to the group.
I was fortunate to visit with Graham and Margaret Bowden earlier this
year

I was sorry to have missed you.

and Graham showed me the original photos taken by Ron. The colours
are
quite spectacular.

Ron was a self taught photographer. Indeed he was a self taught
everything, and his pix are indeed great. You can see why I wanted to
put them on the web.

We also went to the salvage site at the end of the freeway

I did a bit on this for the Orchid Safari a while back. You can see it
here.

http://www.orchidtrek.com/aussie/aus...servation.html

Visiting with Graham and Margaret got me interested in the native
terrestrials and I couldn't resist joining your club and bringing some
home.

I was aware that you were now a bona fide member of the Sp Orchid Soc
of WA and you are most welcome.I believe you are on the mailing list
for the monthly on line newsletter too, but here is the url if you are
not.

http://members.iinet.net.au/%7Eemntee/page17.html

Tony

Old 19-12-2005, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 23:22:36 GMT in 0P1of.56647$7r6.6147@trnddc07 J Fortuna wrote:
-- Who am I and What Is My Gender?

Chris Dukes and I'll lump in my fiance Liz. As for gender, I'll let
ya'll figure that out lest I decide to instigate arguments on
perception of gender, gender roles in society, sexism...

-- Where am I? Where do I grow?

Efland, NC. Windowsill and some flourescent lighted shelves in
my tiny little house in the middle of nowhere.
Raleigh, NC. Windowsill with incadescent grow light assist.

Once work becomes sane I'll be moving a small greenhouse up
from SC.

-- What do I grow?

I can't remember everything Liz has
Atleast 11 Dendrobiums
~9 Phals and relatives
~16 Oncidium Aliance that aren't Tolumnia
atleast 3 paphs
atleast 3 phrags
3 ludisia (4 counting the one I used as change when selling a computer)
8 vandaceous orchids
8 Tolumnia and tolumnia intergenics
1 Cat.

Non orchids, I grow african violets, zygocacti, jerusalem cherry,
spider plants, herbs, oak trees, golden rain trees, daylilies (Sprouting
them from seed is fun).

-- The decade of my age?

I've finished 3 decades and am working on my 4th.

-- How long have I been growing orchids?

Started spring 2004 with a Phal for my mom for Mother's day.
It seemed like a better deal than the miniature roses I normally bought
for her.
The addiction started when a local grocery store sold off their
most abused orchids for ~$5 each.

-- My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

I remain impressed that the first orchid I was able to rebloom
was a Noble type Dendrobium. Granted it's a Super Ise, but still.
The first Phal I didn't kill is now reblooming on its first spike
and trying to take over the den with the spike it produced this fall.
All of the older miltonidium are in spike, the oldest having
produced a panacle with 100+ blooms last month.

-- Miscellaneous Info...

I work for a small telecommunications equipment company and I am
currently overly busy with a beta test/major upgrade.
If your phone suddenly stops working this Christmas, you can
blame me, but it's probably your telco's fault :-).
If you google stalk me, yes I am that troll from the BSD
newsgroups.
Because Liz has kids already, I'm busy thinking of ways to make
space for them, and I'll probably be putting up a couple lean-to
greenhouses on additions to the house.
The eldest daughter doesn't understand our obsession at all, but she's
an incredible artist that has shown quite a bit of skill at botanical
sketches. If she isn't careful, she'll be designing stencils for
replacing the wallpaper with botanical stencils derived from my plants.

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil
Old 20-12-2005, 07:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Eric Hunt

-- Who am I and What Is My Gender?
Eric, Male

-- Where am I? Where do I grow?
San Francisco, I just moved into a new apartment with a small shared
backyard! I plan to grow cool to cold growing species - primarily
masdevallias, pleurothallis, and maxillarias out in the back. I've got a
couple art-shade phals growing in the kitchen, they're fun to dote on while
tooling around the kitchen.

I have been a volunteer for OrchidMania (www.orchids.org) for about 4 years
now. Most Sundays I can be found working at our San Francisco greenhouse.

-- What do I grow?
In the past, I've had as many as 150 plants in a very large Victorian flat.
Then the Lean Years when I could only grow a very limited number in my north
facing bay window - about five orchid plants and a slightly higher number of
houseplants. Bloomed every one of the orchids, though! Not much actively
growing now due to the move to a new apartment, but plan on growing cool to
cold growing andean species such as masdevallia, pleurothallis, maxillaria,
etc. I have space for a couple dozen most likely - a nice, manageable
increase.

-- The decade of my age?
3rd

-- How long have I been growing orchids?
About 5 years.

-- My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?
Reblooming anything (but definitely not even close to everything!) in my
collection. =)

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 20-12-2005, 02:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

I'm Ray, male, 53 years old.

I've been growing orchids since grad school, so that makes it 30 years at
this point.

I grow anything that catches my eye, but am particularly fond of slippers,
all sorts of vandaceous plants, encyclias and odd-ball species.

I suppose most would say that my greatest accomplishment has been coming up
with semi-hydroponic culture, but to me it's not throwing in the towel after
a heater failure on a seven-degree (F) night that wiped out a 20-year
collection of stuff, including irreplaceable plants I collected while
traveling the world on business. I have another opportunity to test my
desire to go on right now, as my propane supplier was kind enough to run me
out of fuel on a 5° night just last week. Fortunately, it wasn't a total
wipe out (looks like the heat went off right at dawn), but I have a lot of
trimming to do while on Christmas vacation.

Old 20-12-2005, 02:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob

I suppose most would say that my greatest accomplishment has been coming up
with semi-hydroponic culture, but to me it's not throwing in the towel after
a heater failure on a seven-degree (F) night that wiped out a 20-year
collection of stuff, including irreplaceable plants I collected while
traveling the world on business. I have another opportunity to test my
desire to go on right now, as my propane supplier was kind enough to run me
out of fuel on a 5° night just last week. Fortunately, it wasn't a total
wipe out (looks like the heat went off right at dawn), but I have a lot of
trimming to do while on Christmas vacation.

Ouch, Ray... Had almost the same experience the day after thanksgiving.
Fortunately I checked the gauge on the tank, which was reading zero
but not quite at zero... Had a firm (but polite, of course) talk with
the driver who delivers my fuel, who had been out two days prior
delivering fuel to my neighbor... He knows to check my tank now.

This reinforces my thought of last night, which was... "Maybe I'd better
get my kerosene turbo heater set up in the greenhouse today, just in
case". And I'll check the propane tank, too.

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 20-12-2005, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
danny

-- Who am I and What Is My Gender?
danny, male

-- Where am I? Where do I grow?

Atlanta (northern suburb). Mostly grow under lights in the basement
(fluorescent and metal halide lighting), the overflow is staying in the
sunroom for now.

-- What do I grow?

Very mixed collection, anything that isn't a cool-grower. Somewhere around
five hundred plants now, about half of them are species.

-- The decade of my age?

I've completed three decades.

-- How long have I been growing orchids?

I got my first orchids in November 2000.

-- My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

Surviving my first two years as society newsletter editor. Killing less
than 20% of my purchases.

Old 20-12-2005, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
bobc

Bob Campoli, Male
49yrs old
Orchids, Bromeliads, Cacti and Bonsai. The orchids are a mix of
species and hybrids; most of the broms are various varieties of
Tillandsia ionantha, and about a half dozen other species (I like
tucking a pup or two amongst the ps'bulbs of the orchids). Cacti - 3
Gymnocalycium, 2 Rhipsalis, and one each Astrophytum, Mammillaria and
Lobivia. Most are growing in my living room window and some in my
bedroom window. Both windows face East (more or less). There are 9
Bonsai, all of which started out as rescued shrubs/trees from box store
nurseries. They are a Pine, a Juniper, a Maple, a Redbud (Cercis), 2
False Cypress, an Arborvitae and 2 Abies. They live outside all year.
I live in Philadelphia, Pa - U.S.A. Married 26 years - 5 kids, 3
grandkids; growing plants about 28 years, focusing on orchids for about
6 years. A couple of the Bonsai I've been working with for over twenty
years. I've always had an aquarium or three set up since I was 11
years old ( currently just one 75 gallon freshwater), and have a glass
bowl with some Cryptocoryne, an aquatic plant.

Old 21-12-2005, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Pat Brennan

Sorry about that Ray,

No matter how many backup systems and alarms we put in, greenhouses find a
way. It is a crazy business taking crazy people. It does not take very
much bad to make the whole greenhouse look very bad. Maybe the trimming
will not be as much. (Polly Anna mask up) You know, maybe the cold will
kick some stuff that you have not seen for a while into bloom. (mask down)
Otherwise, Solstice and happy other holidays.

Pat

. ..

Old 21-12-2005, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

You know Pat, it's really weird.

I have ascocendas that are dead, but they are right next to others that came
through unscathed. Even some in spike!

Mushy phals next to others in spike that look happy as clams. A colony of
paphs in a large pot - some spikes lost, others continuing to open.

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
Sorry about that Ray,

No matter how many backup systems and alarms we put in, greenhouses find a
way. It is a crazy business taking crazy people. It does not take very
much bad to make the whole greenhouse look very bad. Maybe the trimming
will not be as much. (Polly Anna mask up) You know, maybe the cold will
kick some stuff that you have not seen for a while into bloom. (mask
down) Otherwise, Solstice and happy other holidays.

Pat

. ..

Old 21-12-2005, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
maia

-- Who am I and What Is My Gender?

Maia, female

-- Where am I? Where do I grow?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada. My (west facing) windowsill at work.

-- What do I grow?

I am only starting, have two plants, one is - I think - a Beallaras
Oncidium hybrid and the other is a Phal. I want more, but too
expensive.

Age?

26

-- How long have I been growing orchids?

Less than a year.

-- My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

They are still alive and growing!

-- Miscellaneous Info...

I am a statisitician and mathematician, I would be a gardener I think,
if I hadn't spend so long is school. Now I need to work.

Old 21-12-2005, 09:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Welcome, Maia!

Okay, guess it's my turn.

Diana Kulaga, Port St. Lucie, Florida. Um, I'm a gal, according to my ever
patient husband. We have 250-300 orchids and grow outside around and near
the pool, under screening. We have lots of Cattleyas, many Dendrobiums and a
load of Vandaceous plants. Oncidium intergenerics and plenty of odds and
ends hang out with us, and we grow a bunch of Phals on the patio under
cover. We outgrew the pool area a few years ago and added a 12 x 18
extension to the original screen cage.

I'm 62 and vice president of the local orchid society. We've been collecting
since we bought our first 2 orchids (2 no-tag Dends - who knew??) in late
1999. We try to sell divisions at society meetings and auctions, in order to
make room for new ones and the annual Redland orgy plants.

I can think of two accomplishments. The first is that I don't have 1,000
orchids! I call that will power! The second is that my husband, Frank, no
longer denies that he grows orchids. That stopped when he said he would
"specialize in Vandas", which then became "specializing in Phals", LOL.

As for miscellaneous stuff, no one is more surprised than am I by the fact
that orchids are now a passion for me. I never would have predicted that.
Before moving to FL from CT, I wrote seminar material and did motivational
speaking gigs. I started a novel prior to moving, but it has taken a back
seat to my primary addiction. One day, I'll get it done, though the theme
has changed to include - you guessed it - orchids!

DK

Old 21-12-2005, 10:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Oh, golly, so has mine....

The story of an orchid fanatic's life.......

Diana

Old 24-12-2005, 06:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Who am I?

Well that is the question I ask on a weekly basis and it is always
evolvin.
They call me Nanook (big Zappa fan...Frank that is) male

Where am I? Where do I grow?

Atlanta and one hundred miles south in Roberta Georgia.
All over the house, In a propagation room downstairs und
er HFL, HPS, and MH lights as well as regular Floros everywhere,on a
sun porch (all glass) on a deck, in the trees, hangin under the
overhang of the house in ATL. around the pool, in an out building and
in a sun porch in Roberta.

What do I grow?

Mainly just Stanhopeas from flask. I buy from all over the world,
either ordering or going and hand picking the flasks I want myself.
It's a good excuse to get away.
I do have a couple hundred other types but they are just for blooms to
make the wife unit happy.
Gosh, no telling how many actuall orchids I have. So many are compots
of twenty to sixty plants. I also board for a few people. I'm guessin
at 800 to 1000

The decade of my age?

4th

How long have I been growing orchids?

All my life I have had one or two here and there but my wife gave me a
Phal for valantines day some 6 or 8 years ago and that kicked it into
high gear. My mother was a huge house plant grower and garden club
addict. We also grew all our own organic food, vegies, rabbits and
chickens. I was a very large scale pot farmer as a teen, where I
experimented with Hydro, sort of what what Ray calls semi-hydro and
the ebb and flow.

My biggest accomplishment?

I am still working on it. The right medium and basket or mount to grow
a Stan as a house plant in regular house humidity.
But the main accomplishment is just learning on my own how to raise
all types from flask.

Misc info

Am orig from Al been a motorcycle street racer and mechanic.
Learned a now useless skill of TV repair back in the 70s.
Organic chem. to learn how to manufacture substances for abuse.
Office equip repair and computer output microfilm Field service
covered southern US
20 years in microfilm and scanning in the banking industry.
The same 20 years also was house electrician, master electrician and
board opp for live theatre.
Now work for the Atl Journal and the New York Times as an IT guy, comp
satt. uplink, film proc., proofers Imagers on and on......
Am lookin to give it up and just raise plants