Old 25-12-2005, 02:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Raevyn

Default Who We Are revisited

Hi All,
Ok, my turn!

-- Who am I and What Is My Gender?
My name is Jo, I'm Female (last time I checked) and I'm an
Orchidoholic!

-- Where am I? Where do I grow?
I'm on the South Coast of Western Australia in a place called Albany, I
grow my orchids on my back verandah/porch.

-- What do I grow?
Den Kingianum Hybrids, about 15 now I think, a Paph, Epidendrum, two
Dens and 4 Cymbidium.
I recently lashed out and brough a flask of Den Kingie Hybrid
seedlings, called (Wait for it...!) Den Intense x Class 'Musky' x Aust
Rose Beauty 'Pink Delight' HCC/AOC.
I've brought a tiny Greenhouse to house them in once deflasked

-- The decade of my age?
Most people think I'm in the second decade but actually starting my
3rd.

-- How long have I been growing orchids?
Oh I just checked and realised I've been growing orchids since 2004 so
that's how long now? .

-- My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?
Not killing them!! Oh, and getting them to Flower! Last big
accomplishment, that I haven't got 100 Orchids by now!

-- Miscellaneous Info...
I live in a rented property with my Two Children, a Son, 10 and
Daughter, 7. My Daughter is showing some interest in Orchids, hoping to
pass the Orchid addiction along to her
Pets? One Cat, one Canary and one Hermit Crab.
I'm currently Studing my Bachelor of Arts in Internet Study and Design.
After 3 years I should be able to do a proper Website for just about
anyone

Old 25-12-2005, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
danny

Just as a general comment, it seems that for "The decade of my age" many
people are using the first digit of their age. This ignores the first
decade they lived. Someone in their 30's is in their 4th decade, not their
3rd.
-danny

Old 25-12-2005, 06:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Just as a general comment, it seems that for "The decade of my age" many
people are using the first digit of their age. This ignores the first
decade they lived. Someone in their 30's is in their 4th decade, not
their 3rd.

Picky, picky, picky!!

Diana

Old 25-12-2005, 07:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

LOL!! The millennium debate all over again!

Therefo I'm in my 6th decade although my age begins with a 5.

I live in N California in the greater San Francisco Bay area, however on
the warmer/drier side of it.

I've been growing orchids since 1993 (I'm pretty sure of the date) and
have been posting on rgo since finding a link on the old Pathfinder
version of the AOS homepage and forum over Christmas break in 1994. Else
I'd never have known that Usenet existed. I believe (and I trust danny
to correct me if I'm wrong) that puts me in my second decade of posting
to rgo. Sounds impressive if you put it that way. *G*

I grow a wide array of hybrids and species. First on windowsills, then
under lights and finally in a greenhouse I built (then added to) myself.
I tend to like orchids that don't stay in flower too long (4 weeks is
the max I can stand looking at the same old flower) and I must be a
masochist, because if an orchid blooms easily and without much tweaking
then it can't be any good. My new year's resolution is to break myself
of that notion. I have a feeling its related to the rush Sally Field
felt when she gushed her Oscar acceptance speech. They must like me,
they must really *like* me!!

I haven't achieved my greatest orchid achievement yet. Like RFK I dream
dreams and ask 'Why not?' I'd love to get a CCM one day. People sneer,
but to have an award that says dang, girl, you grew that well! would
really make me insufferable to live with for a few days! I'd love to be
the one to figure out how to get Reiner's Australian terrestrials to
grow here in America. (in my backyard, of course -- self serving as
always. *G*!) And since I finally entered into the world of hobbyist
hybridizers, I hope that my hybrids will be the next George King
'Serendipity' and Goldenzelle 'Lemon Chiffon' of the cattleya world,
LOL! Until then I'll have to content myself with what I've got.

My one claim to fame - if you can call it that - is I edit the
OrchidSafari Archives (http://www.geocities.com/brassia.geo/OSTA.html)
and http://www.orchidsafari.org. I'm rather happy about that.
OrchidSafari still exists as a chat group. http://anam.keltik.net
(please accept cookies from keltik else you'll never be able to get in
to chat) And we also present as solid a source of information on orchid
topics that we can think up. I'm currently negociating with the heirs of
Herb Hager to get some of his old AOS articles online. I think they're
still pertinant. I have some of Gavino Rotor's works online with
permission of the heirs. If anyone wants or has any other of Gavino's
works you'd like to see online let me know because I've posted what I've
been able to lay my hands on. This stuff shouldn't be buried in the
back issues of the AOS Bulletin or the Orchid Digest Corp.

But don't get me started...

I webmaster the Pacific Central Judging Center's webpage
http://www.aospacificcentral.org and will webmaster the page for the new
judging center for the California Central Valley and Reno region, URL
TBA (ie. whenever I get off my butt to register a name and get space.)
Eric Hunt and I met here on rgo and through that association we've been
able to show many pictures of plants awarded in our region. I'm rather
proud of that too. And it wouldn't work if I didn't have Eric. I don't
think people outside the Center really realize that, so I'll say it out
loud here.

Thanks Eric for all you do for us at the Center as well as us here at
rgo. I know it seems like all you do is show pictures but there's more
than meets the eye to that. Your knowledge expands our knowledge.

But I digress.

This is supposed to be about *me*.

But how can this be about me when me is about us?

I wouldn't know jack shit if I hadn't found cyberspace when I did. Or
rgo. I haven't given back a 10th of what I've gotten from you all.

So I'll shut up now and say Merry Christmas to everyone. And thanks for
a great 11 years.

K Barrett

Eric Hunt wrote:
What'd ya hafta go and confuse everyone now for! =)

-Eric

.. .

Old 25-12-2005, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
danny

Are you basing that on expected lifespan, or is that when the mothership
will come to take you home? :-)
-danny

"Al" wrote in message
news
decades completed... 3 of 7

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
What'd ya hafta go and confuse everyone now for! =)

-Eric

.. .

Old 25-12-2005, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

I haven't given back a 10th of what I've gotten from you all.

I'll take issue with that, Kathy. You give plenty - everything from
information to moral support. And then, there's always *Crisp Beef*, LOL!

Diana

Old 26-12-2005, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al

there's a mothership? I've actually completed 4, not 3 decades, and am
seriously thinking of finishing the 5th off early just to get it out of the
way. I hate the "Red Convertible" years and I am starting to feel their
pull.

"danny" wrote in message
Are you basing that on expected lifespan, or is that when the mothership
will come to take you home? :-)
-danny

"Al" wrote in message
news
decades completed... 3 of 7

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
What'd ya hafta go and confuse everyone now for! =)

-Eric

.. .

Old 26-12-2005, 02:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 09:17:25 -0500, "Ray"
wrote:
Fortunately, it wasn't a total
wipe out (looks like the heat went off right at dawn), but I have a lot of
trimming to do while on Christmas vacation.

Glad to hear your only trimming.

Who: John and SuE on the Front Range in Colorado.

We moved here from Chicago in '83 with a temperature controlled
truck and a load of large Cattleyas, a few Paphs, a couple of
Cymbidiums and Encyclias.

We have been growing over 30 years (can't agree on the date).
Anyone know when in the 70's Illinois Orchid Society hosted AOS
at the gardens in Glenco? I volunteered and held the door so
people could unload cars in February "Chicago Snow & Cold."
Spent all day being teased by a gentleman named Don Cox. That
spring I helped him repot and at the end of the weekend had 50
Catt backbulbs and a mentor.

We lost the collection to a broken thermostat that allowed the gh
to get so cold that the plastic water pipes burst. Trying to
empty the gh was so depressing we just fixed and pipes turned the
water back on and left some of the pots hanging until summer.
When everything was cleaned out there were still 50 plants alive
in the collection.

We now consider the freeze an "opportunity" to change the
direction of the collection. My collection turned to Ascda and
vandaceous, from it's Catt base. John has always favored Paphs
and Phrags once he discovered them.

John is retired from "I've Been Moved" and I finally have the
time to travel and have become a student Judge. We now make most
AOS shows. Don't look for us in '06, we will wait until the WOC
for FL. I am planning to be in Madison judging at the Orchid
Guild's Show in February.

SuE

Old 26-12-2005, 12:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
emntee

Hi All

Just an observation or few.

I second the motion that Kathy Barrett is more than just a pretty face.
(not that I've ever seen it) But she tries to hide her abilities under
a bushell (or whatever the metric equivelent is).
Anyone who has seen the effort Kathy puts in to Orchid Safari etc.
would agree.

And she's a character too regardles of the decade of her birth, and
characters are few and far between in this day and age and should be
accepted gratefully for what they are. Bless you my dear and long may
you do what you do so well.

And Jo....who some would like to find the Albany pitcher plant for
them... lives in the best area for Australian Native Orchids in the
whole of the continent. Half her luck.

And the compliments of the season to all

Tony

Old 26-12-2005, 01:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Niek Hanckmann

danny schreef:
Just as a general comment, it seems that for "The decade of my age" many
people are using the first digit of their age. This ignores the first
decade they lived. Someone in their 30's is in their 4th decade, not their
3rd.
-danny

Okay, it sounds awfull, nut in that case I am in my 4th decade!

Greets, Niek
Old 26-12-2005, 01:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Al,

Having completed 5 decades and well into my 6th, I too, felt that "red
convertible" pull last summer, but in my case I scratched that itch by
returning after 30 years to a motorcycle.

"danny" wrote in message
Are you basing that on expected lifespan, or is that when the mothership
will come to take you home? :-)
-danny

"Al" wrote in message
news
decades completed... 3 of 7

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
What'd ya hafta go and confuse everyone now for! =)

-Eric

.. .

Old 26-12-2005, 05:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Eric Hunt

"K Barrett" wrote in message
I live in N California in the greater San Francisco Bay area, however on
the warmer/drier side of it.

And she's not kidding - in the summer, you can drive through the ~3300 foot
tunnel going through the coastal hills separating where I live from where
Kathy lives and go from foggy and 65 to blazing hot and over 90 degrees.
Best experienced in an open-top Jeep. =)

Thanks Eric for all you do for us at the Center as well as us here at rgo.
I know it seems like all you do is show pictures but there's more than
meets the eye to that. Your knowledge expands our knowledge.

Aww, shucks. *looking down, kicking rock* Thanks.

I wouldn't know jack shit if I hadn't found cyberspace when I did. Or
rgo. I haven't given back a 10th of what I've gotten from you all.

Don't underestimate yourself, sister, you're an institution and a font of
information. =)

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 27-12-2005, 11:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Dave Gillingham

Jo, just caught up with your above post. Three questions:
1. Whaffor you only buy a "tiny greenhouse"? You *know* you're going to have
to get a bigger one.
2. How do the cat & canary get on? Could tell an amusing tale of a previous
cat & budgie of ours.
3. Hermit crab?? Logistics of that? Considering its habitat needs & also the
above cat?