Old 25-12-2005, 09:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bryan

Default Light mover vs Light track

Looking to purchase a light mover but am wondering the pro's and con's
between a light track and a light mover. I would guess the light track is
noisier as it uses a chain to move the light fixture back and forth.

Comments...

Old 25-12-2005, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
danny

By light mover do you mean the circular ones? My track doesn't run on a
chain, it's a motor mounted on rollers that reverses direction when it gets
to the end of the track. For some reason it seems to be noisier on the
floor above it than it is in the same room, I guess it's vibrating the floor
joists a little.
-danny

Old 25-12-2005, 05:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve

Bryan wrote:
Looking to purchase a light mover but am wondering the pro's and con's
between a light track and a light mover. I would guess the light track is
noisier as it uses a chain to move the light fixture back and forth.

Comments.

I think you need to consider the size and shape of your grow area first.
I don't know which ones you are looking at but the tracks tend to work
for a long bench, maybe up against a wall. The light movers would be
better for a large table that would probably have to be in the center of
a room so you could reach the plants from any side.
I probably didn't need to tell you that.

Steve
Old 25-12-2005, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bryan

Sorry I meant a Light rail vs a Light track. The light track has the motor
on the end of the rail and moves the fixture back and forth by a chain. The
light rail has a motor that creeps along the rail with the fixture.

http://www.hydrofarm.com/content/accessories.html

Old 10-01-2006, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Duncan V

"Bryan" wrote in message
Looking to purchase a light mover but am wondering the pro's and con's
between a light track and a light mover. I would guess the light track is
noisier as it uses a chain to move the light fixture back and forth.

Comments...

The Pro track with is the chain is very heavy duty and can be used to move
mutliple lights with the addition of a Pro bar. They are noiser and slower,
but the noise isn't usually a major issue. you will also need to give it a
shot of grease and tighten the chain about once a year. The Light rail
travel length is adjustable and the pause at the end can alse be varied.
The light rail is about $60CDN more expensive. If you rubber mount them the
sound is mostly stopped.