Old 19-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default Plant Registration Errors

All,

At our last society show last weekend, there were numbers of plants
incorrectly categorized. One upshot was 3 identical plants taking blue
ribbons (registered in three different categories). That's what we
happended to notice; no idea how many plants were actually miscategorized.

The various societies which put up displays, as well as growers and
individuals who did so, are responsible for their own registration lists,
which are then turned over to our registrars. I have no doubt that the
mistakes were honest ones - there's no percentage in doing it deliberately.

What do you guys do in your own societies to avoid that kind of problem?

Diana

Old 19-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Rob Halgren

Diana Kulaga wrote:

All,

At our last society show last weekend, there were numbers of plants
incorrectly categorized. One upshot was 3 identical plants taking blue
ribbons (registered in three different categories). That's what we
happended to notice; no idea how many plants were actually miscategorized.

The various societies which put up displays, as well as growers and
individuals who did so, are responsible for their own registration lists,
which are then turned over to our registrars. I have no doubt that the
mistakes were honest ones - there's no percentage in doing it deliberately.

What do you guys do in your own societies to avoid that kind of problem?

Different regions have different systems for ribbon judging. In the
MidAmerica, we usually have individual entry tags for each plant, and
paste them into a folder specific to each class. That is what we use
for ribbon judging. But that is just here... I've seen it done
differently. But I usually assist with registration at the Greater
Lansing and Michiana shows, among a few others in Michigan, and this is
what we do:
One of the things we do is have some experienced judges helping with
registration. We know what the most common errors are, and can often
fix them without even looking at the plants. We always have a copy (or
two) of Wildcatt going, and we look up every plant (that isn't a
species). If a plant is registered as just the hybrid name, we will
write down the cross on the registration tag before we give them back to
the exhibitors.
So, some of the common errors that we look for.
1) Paphs, we have primary and complex hybrids in separate classes.
This is very often screwed up, but easy to correct if you know the
cross. We also have species divided into three categories, which is
easy enough to fix if you know the species.
2) Dendrobiums (on our schedule) species are broken into several
categories, and nobody ever gets them right. We have a list of which
species go in which class, and check them at registration
3) Cattleya intergenerics are often screwed up, we try our best to
check them based on the Wildcatt data.
4) For miscellaneous species, we have a list which has a
correspondence between genus and class. It is pretty easy to check
things you have never heard of.
5) For some classes I make a point of taking a few minutes before we
actually (as a team) judge the plants to make sure that things make
sense. I've been known to take all of the paph species folders (three
or four, depending on the show), and go through them before we look at
any plants. This especially at shows where I know they don't take quite
as much time at registration as we do. I'll do it even if I'm not team
captain, which has gotten me a few nasty looks...

Some of the errors that are harder to catch are colors. Last week I
did phals, and I can't count the number of plants which were entered
incorrectly. But, we try really hard to have one team do the majority
(or all) of a section of the show schedule. If we catch a mis-entry
early enough, we can move it to a later class. Always enter something
into the lowest numbered class you can, it might have a chance of
getting moved up. We very rarely go back to look at a class we have
already awarded ribbons for. Those plants are just out of luck
(although we write a note on the entry tag so that the exhibitor might
learn something from it).

In our region we have a few societies which insist on entering all
the registration information into a computer, and printing out a paper
list for each ribbon class. This is a pain in the posterior, as it is
very hard to move plants around. A better system is taping the
registration tags into a folder, then you can just pick up the tag and
paste it into another folder. Other regions probably have different
systems. When we are preparing the folders for each class, it is
important to give things a final sanity check. A little up front work
really makes the ribbon judging go more smoothly.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 19-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 18:05:32 -0500, Rob Halgren
wrote:

Diana Kulaga wrote:

All,

At our last society show last weekend, there were numbers of plants
incorrectly categorized. One upshot was 3 identical plants taking blue
ribbons (registered in three different categories).

Here only the plant in the correct class could get a blue. The
other could get moved to the correct class or ignored - depending
on the judging team.
Rob said --------
One of the things we do is have some experienced judges helping with
registration. We know what the most common errors are, and can often
fix them without even looking at the plants. We always have a copy (or
two) of Wildcatt going, and we look up every plant (that isn't a
species). If a plant is registered as just the hybrid name, we will
write down the cross on the registration tag before we give them back to
the exhibitors.

We run Wildcatt and we have that cross list of species to class
data on a searchable form (Excel) as well as having a copy of it
and of the judging schedule in a binder on the table.

The people that ask or check with the registration crew are not
the problems. The problems are the people who "know the class"
and enter their plants with out looking at the schedule. It is
tweaked before each and every show. We had 3 Lc Trick or Treat x
sib entered. The one that got an AOS award later that day did not
get judged. They had entered it in the wrong class.

Some judges scan the forms before judging and some do not. The
head Judge for the show scans the entire database and tries to
catch the typo and obvious errors. I am not as great on spelling
as some Registrars. Yes, we use Access to create a readable
printed list. I have judged Rob's folders and sticky tape
holding entries that were not readable. Our way you can have a
clean list for each judge and clerk. They all say the same thing.
If a judge moves a plant to a later class - everyone can make a
note of it. But they still have a readable list. I have used
both systems (came from Mid-America) and I vote for Access.
Push a button I can have another copy if your team has more
judges. You want to re-organize it - just talk to me at the end
of registration. I will print a list. You can re-class anything
you want.

Sometimes the judges split a class because things are too
diverse.

I agree with ROB we need to have a "head judge" scan each team's
selection and re-class anything that is in the wrong place. But
some Show Judging Chair's think that it is a learning experience.
They think writing the note will help you learn. Trouble is the
committee that gets the show ready for the general public is apt
to clean up the tags and there goes the note.

I have problems with people entering for their society without
being registered as a member of the society. So I have no local
to list for their plant or name to ID the owner if they win.

Handwriting - that is the problem. If you can not decipher and
translate all entries and know all orchid names so you can
correct misspelling, your sunk.
I like the idea of a written list of all entries for a location
or exhibit. Then line (single) out the ones not entered.
Preferably typed or computer generated. I am thinking of
suggesting that we have some type of self entry .. but how do you
get the ones that can not write to type?

but the truth is --- Get over it suzie -- it is just part of the
show ---

SuE
Old 20-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Diana Kulaga

Rob & Sue,

You're both making too much sense. Will address specific points tomorrow,
but for now, I think our first order of business is to shake the lint out of
the system we've been using. Wildcat, of course, we use, and we have the
necessary research materials. What's needed is a more coordinated effort
between the various local societies which participate, and less egomania
amongst the registrars in all our societies.

More tomorrow, and thanks!

Diana

Old 23-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Diana Kulaga

Rob & Sue,

Thinking about the descriptions you wrote of your processes, one thing that
jumps out at me is that we are in dire need of a larger cadre of registrars,
and also need to get more training for those who do it. At a recent
committee meeting someone suggested talking to AOS (headquarters is very
near us here) to see if they'd do a class for a group from all four of our
local societies.

Really appreciate your imput.

Diana

Old 23-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 21:07:31 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

Rob & Sue,

Thinking about the descriptions you wrote of your processes, one thing that
jumps out at me is that we are in dire need of a larger cadre of registrars,
and also need to get more training for those who do it. At a recent
committee meeting someone suggested talking to AOS (headquarters is very
near us here) to see if they'd do a class for a group from all four of our
local societies.

Really appreciate your imput.

Diana

Can they teach handwriting too. That causes at least 50% of the
errors.
SuE
Old 24-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Rob Halgren

Diana Kulaga wrote:

Rob & Sue,

Thinking about the descriptions you wrote of your processes, one thing that
jumps out at me is that we are in dire need of a larger cadre of registrars,
and also need to get more training for those who do it. At a recent
committee meeting someone suggested talking to AOS (headquarters is very
near us here) to see if they'd do a class for a group from all four of our
local societies.

I guess they would be familiar with your local system... What I
would suggest is volunteering to assist with registration for a show in
your area which you feel is particularly well run. See what their
system is, and steal it. They won't mind. Heck, if you are ever up in
Michigan, you can help me some time.

Old 24-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 10:09:05 -0500, Rob Halgren
wrote:

Diana Kulaga wrote:

Rob & Sue,

Thinking about the descriptions you wrote of your processes, one thing that
jumps out at me is that we are in dire need of a larger cadre of registrars,
and also need to get more training for those who do it. At a recent
committee meeting someone suggested talking to AOS (headquarters is very
near us here) to see if they'd do a class for a group from all four of our
local societies.

I guess they would be familiar with your local system... What I
would suggest is volunteering to assist with registration for a show in
your area which you feel is particularly well run. See what their
system is, and steal it. They won't mind. Heck, if you are ever up in
Michigan, you can help me some time.

Rob

I will second that. And ask anyone who wants to assist to let me
know. As long as I do registration, I know there will always be
room for assistance.
SuE
Old 24-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Diana Kulaga

Don't plan on being in MI anytime soon. I wish one of the local societies
were a role model, but I have my doubts. We'll figure it our. Need to
professionalize!