Old 21-01-2006, 03:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Default a difference between orchids and human babies

Orchids: feed weakly weekly -- do not overfeed; orchids do not complain if
you miss a feeding, and can do well with benign neglect as well.

Babies: feed at least 8 times a day in theory, but in practice it seems like
nearly constant feeding is required (I did not know before that there is
such a thing as 'cluster feeding' when a baby can for example
feed-cry-feed-cry-feed-(doze of during feeding but complain when the food
source tries to move away for even a moment), and this can go on from 10pm
till 3am non-stop -- and that's considered 'normal' baby behavior (by a
healthy non-colicky baby).

And to think that some people think that orchids are demanding, and
difficult to grow. Posh!

On the other hand, here is a neat similarity for you:

Orchids will turn toward the lights, and so will babies. Robert has
discovered that lights are really fascinating. Yesterday he stared at the
kitchen ceiling light mesmerized and turned his head back in its direction
when turned away.

Oh the joy of exploring life!

Joanna

Old 21-01-2006, 09:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kye

Joanna,

Stop it.... you are making me soooooo very ckucky waiting on mine to be born
in June....

By the way we found out its a boy!!! Not the girl we were hoping for but
wheres the downside???

Kye.

news5iAf.26265$RK3.18051@trnddc06...

Old 21-01-2006, 09:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Dave Gillingham

Joanna, I'm sure I wouldn't want to go through it again now (May the good Lord
preserve me!). But you bring back memories of our three. Parenting is so very
rewarding! Enjoy to the fullest!

Old 21-01-2006, 01:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
White Monkey

[...]

That is all so well put! Feel free to e-mail me (just take the dot out after
the c in cooper) if you need to touch base with anyone about baby ways.
Walter is 16 months old now.
--Katrina

Old 21-01-2006, 03:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Sorry Kye :-) I am not sure whether I can stop it.

Congratulations on finding out that it is a boy.

I think the biggest downside to boys is when changing diapers:

on the changing table absolutely must cover him immediately in such a way so
that the wall and furniture that is 3 feet away from him can be safe from
being completely soaked -- alternatively place any orchid that needs to be
watered that day within 3 feet of the changing table, and step far away
yourself. :-) Humor helps in such situations.

Joanna

u...

Old 21-01-2006, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
tbell

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 06:32:20 -0800, Ray wrote
(in article ):

"Lights", according to my mother, was my first word, although it was
probably "ites"

Or maybe "mites?"

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D70

Old 22-01-2006, 04:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 13:45:02 -0800, tbell wrote:

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 06:32:20 -0800, Ray wrote
(in article ):

"Lights", according to my mother, was my first word, although it was
probably "ites"

Or maybe "mites?"

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D70

So good. And Joanna really has the right idea on boys. Although we
covered and then pulled the wet out from under. Safer. Alternately
let Dad take care of the first 6 months of diapers HA

Joanna what is bad is when Mom and baby fall asleep during that
feeding at 2 and don't wake until 6.

Enjoy... you can get even telling his wife stories of him someday when
she is waiting for #1.

SuE
Old 22-01-2006, 05:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
snip
Joanna what is bad is when Mom and baby fall asleep during that
feeding at 2 and don't wake until 6.

Sue,

I am still inexperienced enough to not know why this is bad. Could you
explain?

Thanks,
Joanna

Old 22-01-2006, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Default (Kye, beware) a difference between orchids and human babies

Kye, Beware of a danger:

Just as orchids are addictive, so are baby carriers (slings, pouches, wraps,
backpack carriers, etc.). Just like orchids, carriers come in different
styles, sizes and colors, and some people diversify and get different types
and other people love one style so much they just buy it but in different
colors to accessorize what they are wearing. I just mail ordered the 4th
baby carrier and Robert is not 4 weeks old yet, so at this rate the number
of baby carriers I own will reach 49 (which is the number of orchids I
currently own) by the time Robert is roughly a year old. Of course by then I
will surely have more orchids, which is a very reassuring thought to an
orchid addict. By the way some of the carriers have a weight limit of 20lb,
but others are good for carrying toddlers as well, that is I guess sort of
like different pot sizes for orchids, and just as if an orchid is too large
and top-heavy some pot styles will not work anymore (for example: plastic
pots with moss media), some will work only for the large ones (ok, so maybe
the analogy falls apart a bit here, since I can't think of a pot that can be
used only for benchhogs and not for seedlings), but still others will work
for both tiny and large orchids/babies, and you just need to adjust the
size. :-)

Apparently just like we have orchid societies and their meetings are once a
month, the baby carrier people have the same, and they are quite crazy about
the different carriers. Mothers will come to the monthly meetings with their
babies and carriers, and they will vociferously oppose some styles of
carriers as opposed to others (sort of like our species fanatics, I guess)
and they will let new mothers try their carriers for size and comfort level
and give their carriers that their babies have outgrown already to the
newbies (a nice neighborly thing or a part of the conspiracy to promote the
addiction?). And they too have their online forum with a strong community of
regulars -- my friend who is a baby carrier addict, advised that I sign up
for it, and I guess I will have to. Just as there are orchid people who are
into environmental conservation, there are carrier people who are into that
and will only go for natural fabrics for example. Just like we have the
small orchid vendors and the large commercial ones, same goes for baby
carriers -- some sell only custom made carriers that one needs to wait for a
few weeks to be made and these are more likely to run out of particular
fabric patterns -- ok, so maybe we do not ever need to wait a few weeks for
a mail ordered orchid, but I was thinking that this custom made carriers
style is sort of like giving a seed pod to a lab to flask.

I see so many similarities that I am thinking that the same personality that
makes one prone to become an orchid addict likely makes one more susceptible
to the baby carrier craze. I wonder what the correlation is, how many baby
carrier addicts are also orchid addicts? After all one of the baby carrier's
uses is to free up one's hands while watering orchids and yet have the child
close enough so that one can share the delight of the orchids with one's
child. :-)

Best,
Joanna

Old 22-01-2006, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
White Monkey

Just as orchids are addictive, so are baby carriers (slings, pouches,
wraps, backpack carriers, etc.).

I shouldn't do this to you, but.... http://www.kangarookorner.com/
I adore my adjustable fleece pouch, and am just now not using it most of the
time, now that Walter is 16 months old and my shoulder tendonitis has
returned.
--Katrina

Old 22-01-2006, 10:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
GARLAND HANSON

Here's the real difference between orchids and kids......You can always
exchange your orchids for better ones!!! I don't recall where I heard this
but it's not mine!

Enjoy them before they talk, walk, talk back, and drive,
Garland