Old 22-01-2006, 07:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ann Marie

Default Help for novice - Epidendrum "reed"

Hi - Not sure if this is correct posting site, so apologize in advance if
this is not where I should ask some experts some questions.

I have a handful of bountiful lavender and red "reed" orchids. The stems
are very tall on most, and now contain little things that look best to me
like possible "seed pods"? What do I do or can do with these?

When trimming the plants back, should I cut back even when they have flowers
on very top of long stem?

Again, my thanks. Want to share the lavender with my friends, and would
like to get more going in the ground (I read in one orchid book that they
could be planted in ground?).

Anni

Old 22-01-2006, 08:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Ann: These sound like reed-stem Epidendrums. For more info, you could try
Googling on that.

Here in south Florida, these take full or nearly full sun and need to be
_very_ well drained. In-ground will work if your soil, like ours, holds
little if any water, and your winters are mild (no freezes, frost very
rare -- and you'll need to cover them if you do expect frost).

Some are more prolific than others about producing roots up and down the
stems. If the upper portions of your stems have roots, then you can take
cuttings to share with your friends. But without roots of their own,
cuttings are not likely to survive. The other way to divide is at the base
of the plant, taking care to keep at least 3-4 stems together in each
division.

If you really have seed pods, let them ripen (they will eventually split
open on their own, you'll have to watch to catch them when they first start
to crack open), and spread the seed around in the base of the parent plant.
You might get a few seedlings that way, but it doesn't sound like you'd want
to send them out for professional flasking.

Good luck,
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids