Old 29-01-2006, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Default Loot List!

Road trip to Miami yesterday! (Miami International Orchid Festival, chaired
by Martin Motes.) Around 30 vendors and terrific floor displays. I met our
very own Doug Mew down there as he was manning a booth, And Kenni was there
as well, though engrossed with customers every time I happened by G

I was very restrained, IMHO. Just 6 plants came home with us. Here's the
list:

Phal. lueddemanniana Can you believe this was $7.50, and in double spike?
The longest one has a keiki. I don't think the end of that one will bloom.
Need info on that plant, but will post a query separately.

Primary hybrid of C. harrisoniae x C. aclandiae
V. Starre Gypsy 'Long Stem' x V. Mitsy Shinsato 'Mary Motes' AM/AOS (this
from Motes, natch)
Sc. Beaufort 'Hartford's Empire' x C. loddigesii in bud with more coming
Slc. (Hazel Boyd x Lc. Chicanery)
Rhy. gigantea in bloom for $20 - I had an alba, but love the color of this
one

Which brings me back to that question about harrisoniana vs. loddigesii. Has
that been settled? Are they separate, or synonyms?

Anyway, it was a good time. It's show time in south FL! Redland Festival in
May and lots of stuff in between now and then.

Diana

Old 29-01-2006, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 16:16:13 -0500, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

[...]

Lovely loot. Quite a collection. But tell us more about the show.
Was it lovely? Any special eye catching displays?
SuE
Old 29-01-2006, 09:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Lovely loot. Quite a collection. But tell us more about the show.
Was it lovely? Any special eye catching displays?
SuE

Wouldn't you know we left the camera home? Just didn't feel like carrying
it, which is a shame, because there were some really cool displays. One in
particular was made up entirely of species plants. They called it "The Real
Deal". The plants were so fresh that they looked almost artificial, and the
floor covering was dried brown leaves. They must have planned that for a
while, in order to collect the materials they used. Very fetching.

Another featured collections of plants placed in wicker baskets at various
heights. I liked that one, too, though the judges didn't rate it that
highly. There was a display featuring a very large pool of water (*very*
large). They bricked around the edges and put plants at the back. That one
took some work.

They were all lovely, and everyone was in a happy mood.

Diana

Old 30-01-2006, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
V_coerulea

Looks like you were very restrained. Nice list. The primary hybrid of C
harrisoniae X C loddigesii = C Brabantiae. Very nice.
I'd like to know the answer to the harrisoniae vs loddigesii puzzle too. I
bought a flask about 2 years ago as loddigesii var harrisoniana. They're
getting to be good sized plants so I'd like to know the name before I sell
or give any away.
Gary

. ..

Old 30-01-2006, 04:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Diana: Sorry I didn't get to say "Hello." Next time, nudge me. It was
indeed a great show, I just got home. Kenni

Old 31-01-2006, 03:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

V_coerulea wrote:
Looks like you were very restrained. Nice list. The primary hybrid of C
harrisoniae X C loddigesii = C Brabantiae. Very nice.
I'd like to know the answer to the harrisoniae vs loddigesii puzzle too. I
bought a flask about 2 years ago as loddigesii var harrisoniana. They're
getting to be good sized plants so I'd like to know the name before I sell
or give any away.
Gary

IIRC, C. Brabanitiae is C. loddigesii x C. aclandiae

Francisco Miranda has a nice discussion of C. loddigesii and C.
harrisoniana he http://mirandaorchids.com/loddigesiiVGA.htm

Not that it is C. harrisoniana, not C. harrisoniae -- if you had
trouble finding info, the spelling might be the reason.

The bottom line is that questions like this are a judgment call, and
you have to assess the data yourself. For me, the different bloom
season is critical, because that would tend to make them reproductively
isolated, even if they grew in the same habitat.

In general, I think it is better from a horticultural point of view to
be a splitter. Whether you call the plant C. harrisoniana or C.
loddigesii var harrisoniana isn't so important, as long as you
distinguish it from plain old C. loddigesii.

Nick

Old 31-01-2006, 03:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote:

IIRC, C. Brabanitiae is C. loddigesii x C. aclandiae

(snip)

Not that it is C. harrisoniana, not C. harrisoniae -- if you had
trouble finding info, the spelling might be the reason.

Having some trouble typing today...

"Brabanitiae" should be Brabantiae

"Not" should be Note.

Old 01-02-2006, 12:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
V_coerulea

Sorry for the goof. I had the harrisoniae - loddigesii thing on my mind
while I was typing the Brabantiae line. Thanks for the correction.
Gary

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 01-02-2006, 08:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Thanks for a good discussion. It was clear as mud, but it covered the
ground............G

Diana

Redland loot list! Diana Kulaga[_5_] Orchids 6 26-08-2008 11:25 AM
Redland Loot List Diana Kulaga Orchids 4 21-05-2006 06:42 PM
Redland Loot List Diana Kulaga Orchids 7 17-05-2005 11:06 PM
Redland Loot! Diana Kulaga Orchids 2 18-05-2004 03:06 AM
FAQ List - FAQ List - FAQ List cormaic United Kingdom 2 06-11-2003 05:37 PM