GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Germinating terrestrial orchids (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/111386-germinating-terrestrial-orchids.html)

Cypella 07-02-2006 10:27 AM

Germinating terrestrial orchids

Hello,

I am trying to grow Ophrys apifera and Holotrix secunda from seeds.
I would appreciate any advice to succeed in this rather hardy challenge.
Thanks,
Cypella

Andrew 08-02-2006 12:57 AM

Cypella wrote:
I am trying to grow Ophrys apifera and Holotrix secunda from seeds.
I would appreciate any advice to succeed in this rather hardy
challenge.

These are fairly rare in cultivation in my part of the world but
growers I have spoken to recommend cold stratifying temperate orchids,
such as Ophrys. As I understand it they flask the seeds and
refridgerate the flask for a month or two. Stratifying before flasking
is probably asking for fungal problems. Be warned that contamination
can be a problem in the fridge due to temperature fluctuations and any
food you're keeping in there. I don't know whether ethylene given off
by ripening fruit will have any effect but it's at least worth bearing
in mind. If possible use a spare fridge. Can't be of much help with the
Holothrix.

Andrew 08-02-2006 02:18 AM

Germinating terrestrial orchids

I'd suggest you try posting your question to the Terrestrial Orchid
Forum. http://terrorchid.proboards27.com
The traffic isn't heavy but questions are usually answered quickly and
you're more likely to find someone who has experience with the two
species mentioned than on rgo.