Old 22-03-2003, 02:20 PM
rick

Default Yellowing leaves on phals

hi all:

I bought a healthy phal the other day from an orchid show. Now after a few
days in my house, I am noticing that the older leaves at the bottom are
turning yellow and dying. is it normal for them to do that or am I doing
something wrong? I have put them under fluorescent light along with the
other phals. The plant had perfect green leaves all throughout when it was
bought.

thanks

Rick

Old 22-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Steve

Phals drop a lower leaf from time to time as they grow a new one at the
top. Stress will make them loose more than one leaf. The stress can be
temperature extremes, lower humidity, under watering, loss of roots,
light changes perhaps.
The change from greenhouse conditions to home conditions is enough to
loose a couple of leaves. Who knows what kind of stress it might have
experienced on the way to the show. Check to make sure it has good
roots. If it only had 5 leaves and is dropping 3, that's pretty bad. If
it had 7 leaves and is dropping 2, that's not too bad. You get the idea.

Steve

Old 22-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

The only "if" I'd throw in is related to the honesty of the vendor: some
have been known to select plants in dire need of repotting and "dump" them
at shows so they don't have to do so. That often means the root systems are
in miserable shape, and the plants are quite stressed. Moving them to a
home environment could make it worse.

What's the condition of the medium look like?

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

Old 22-03-2003, 09:44 PM
rick

the roots look OK to me.........but to be on the safe side, I think I'll go
ahead and repot them in fresh media.

Rick

Old 23-03-2003, 12:32 AM
Fred Garvin

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 16:20:54 -0500, rick wrote:

the roots look OK to me.........but to be on the safe side, I think I'll
go ahead and repot them in fresh media.

Rick

If the roots are fine leave it be. Phals lose bottom leaves now and then.

Old 23-03-2003, 04:08 AM
Steve

rick wrote:
the roots look OK to me.........but to be on the safe side, I think I'll go
ahead and repot them in fresh media.

Couldn't hurt, unless the current medium looks really fresh, in which
case it's a waste of time. Phals don't seem to suffer from repotting, so
you will not be adding significant new stress.

Steve

Pale leaves on my Phals Eric Orchids 5 25-03-2005 12:53 PM
Droplets of sap along my phals leaves The Enigma Orchids 2 06-02-2004 03:42 PM
Droplets of sap along my phals leaves The Enigma Orchids 0 06-02-2004 03:42 PM
Bonsai Bamboo, yellowing leaves rusty Plant Biology 0 23-02-2003 01:31 AM
Bonsai Bamboo, yellowing leaves and stalk Chris Bamboo 2 06-02-2003 07:03 AM