Old 24-03-2003, 03:08 AM

Default Warm Tolerant Cymbidiums

Hi Friends,

I'm looking for some warm tolerant cymbidiums that can take NC heat
(90's) outside in Summer. Can you recommend some species and hybrids.
Thanks, RJ
Old 24-03-2003, 07:20 AM
profpam

Hi, RJ,

Cymbidium Finlaysonianum (if you are into species -- grows well in
Florida -- close to NC) and most hybrids should suffice for your
climate. Go for the large cymbidiums; stay away from Devonianum and
those that are listed as cool-growing. Oakhill has some inexpensive
ones; in fact, Sinense is a medium size but Chinese-type that does not
seem to mind the heat (I live inland Southern California where temps in
the summer reach 105 and more). I've grown quite a few Cymbidiums in
the last 25+ years. Just don't put them out in the sun for the entire
day when it is in the 80's and 90's -- early morning sun is good for
them. Late afternoon sun is a little iffy in warm climates as leaves do
scorch easily; however, Cymbidiums will not bloom if placed in too much
shade or don't have cool late summer evenings in which to set the buds.
Use bark, perlite, and some peat moss, and don't overwater. Cymbidiums
don't seem to like it too wet (They don't seem to thrive in soil the
consistency of dirt eventhough I did experiment with planting a 3 or 4
directly in a planter box (and they're still surviving after 15+ years
but are not growing as well as the potted ones -- it's colder in the
ground, and Cymbidiums are sensitive to frost, freeze, and extremes).
Since NC can experience cold, be sure to place a cloth over them when
temperature falls below the high 30's and low 40's as damage can occur.
I also move my pots under the eaves. Yes, these are outside plants and
do not grow well inside the house.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 24-03-2003, 10:20 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

Most of the Chinese cymbidium species and their close hybrids (like Golden
Elf) should do fine, but be sure to provide lots of shade when it's really
warm, gradually moving them to bright conditions over the winter.

Like phals, they prefer a pretty good day-night temperature drop in the
fall, but that certainly shouldn't be a problem.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

Old 24-03-2003, 05:20 PM
D. Wain Garrison

Mr Carpenter has developed a number of warm tolerant Cyms.
I grow some of them here on the FL Keys. Check his web site.

http://www.evergladesorchids.com/

D. Wain Garrison
If you can read you can learn anything, for
there are those smarter than you who can
write, however, not everyone who can write
is smarter than you.

Old 24-03-2003, 10:08 PM
V_coerulea

Grow them in pine shade during the summer and leave them out until threat
of frost. Stop fertilizing them by end of July. We then bring them into
brighter light in the greenhouse. We live in southern SC and grow just about
any hybrid cym we like this way; full sized or dwarf with excellent results.
We're just beginning to try some species.

Old 24-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Diana Kulaga

Cym. Butterball (King Arthur x madidum) and Cym aloifolium are thriving
here in Sout FL.

Diana

Old 27-03-2003, 05:44 AM

Thanks friends. I got Cym goerengii growing outside in an edge of the
woods. It's made it through our winter though it looks awful right
now. I was thinking of growing some others outside to bring into the
house only when the weather drops below 40F or so. Problem is, as you
have noticed, that NC is 90+ everyday for 3 months.

BTW, I've been away for a while since working a lot more with bulbs
ans succulents. I still have about 400 mostly species, and have
started growing Bletilla, Habenaria, Spriranthes, Orchis, Goodyera,
and other orchids outside in a woodland garden.

RJ

Sea water on cymbidiums? Damage Control Orchids 27 03-12-2004 10:04 PM
Cymbidiums in the ground bk Orchids 3 24-01-2004 02:42 AM
How to plant cymbidiums? Dicky Orchids 1 17-05-2003 03:20 PM
Help for a Novice! Repotting Cymbidiums Fred Le Blanc Orchids 2 23-04-2003 12:44 AM
Advice please on repotting cymbidiums Chris Ridge Orchids 8 01-04-2003 12:20 AM