Old 26-03-2003, 04:32 PM

Default Phal. lindenii 'Mendenhall'

I saw a photo of a Phal. lindenii 'Mendenhall'--a nice little species
orchid--in Mary Noble's book "You Can Grow Phalaenopis Orchids." I
decided it was a "must have." Surprise! After searching for an hour on
the Internet, I can find many photos of this orchid, but I can't find
anyone who has one for sale. Since this is a species orchid and has
been used in crosses, I'm very surprised that it isn't widely available
in the U.S. Perhaps it is too humble for people's taste. Or perhaps I'm
looking for it in the wrong places. Any suggestions?
Old 26-03-2003, 05:32 PM
Aaron Hicks

Must you have the 'Mendenhall' cultivar? If so, lotsa luck.

However, Bergstrom Orchids has the species for $25.

www.bergstromorchids.com/Catalog.htm

A trick for searching for plants you want to buy: go to
www.google.com, and enter a search string like this:

"Phalaenopsis lindenii" price

Use the quotes to get the species you want, and the word "price"
gets you where you're going. Ah, capitalism.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

Old 26-03-2003, 05:44 PM
TRAINMAN9

I saw a photo of a Phal. lindenii 'Mendenhall'--a nice little species
orchid--in Mary Noble's book "You Can Grow Phalaenopis Orchids." I
decided it was a "must have." Surprise! After searching for an hour on
the Internet, I can find many photos of this orchid, but I can't find
anyone who has one for sale. Since this is a species orchid and has
been used in crosses, I'm very surprised that it isn't widely available
in the U.S. Perhaps it is too humble for people's taste.

The varietal name 'Mendenhall' was used by a grower who lived along the border
of Southeastern Pa and Delaware. Mendenhall is a small section, not sure if it
is an incorporated borough in southern Delaware County and is divided by Rt 52.
The gentleman, I can't remember his name, who used both this varietal name and
also 'Garnet Valley' passed away a long time ago. His collection which
contained hundreds of the best examples of species orchids was sold off before
his death.

He was a contemporary of both Harold Walker and Dr. Bill Wilson along with Mrs.
Dupont of Foxcatcher Orchids.

You could contact the Delaware Orchid Society they may be able to put you in
touch with a member who might have this plant although it is a long shot. You
might also contact someone at The Little Greenhouse as they may have one of
these lindenii 'Mendenhall' available.

Sorry I could not be more help.

Old 26-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Al

Here's another clue:
'Mendenhall' is a name Carter and Homes Orchids uses as a cultivar name to
mark their mericlones and award winners and to generally sell themselves
through their products. Their address is
629 Mendenhall Road
Newberry, South Carolina 29108
http://www.carterandholmes.com/index.html

Try also
Sorrella Orchids
http://www.sorellaorchids.com/orchid_list.htm

Phal. lindenii is proving to be one of the harder Phals to keep alive in
cultivation, strangely enough. And not just for me either it seems.. This
may be why it is so hard to find on the internet.

The recent IPA Journal has an article in it on how one grower keeps his Phal
lindenii alive. Personally I am on my 5th or 6th lindenii and am finally
getting the hang of it. This one has lived almost a year and is getting
established and getting bigger rather than declining slowly and cussing at
me when I walk by. Of course getting it through the summer in my
greenhouse is going to be the real test. Coolish temps (for a phal) high
end light (for a Phal) and it likes to have it's roots exposed. Don't try
to grow it *IN* a pot. Plant it in such a way that it is either mounted on
cork, bark or in a pot so that the roots can grow and attach to the outsides
of a clay pot. In such a situation it will need daily misting or watering.

Old 26-03-2003, 07:08 PM
TRAINMAN9

Here's another clue:
'Mendenhall' is a name Carter and Homes Orchids uses as a cultivar name to

After I posted my response I was out in the greenhouse watering and it suddenly
came to me. Mendenhall is the varietal name Carter and Holmes used. The
gentleman I was referring to lived in Mendenhall Pa but used the varietal name
'Chadds Ford'.

I had my fingers on the keyboard without having my brain in gear. Happens when
you get older.

Old 26-03-2003, 11:44 PM

Thanks to you and everyone else who posted a response. Well, since it's
a cool grower, it's not for me--my temperatures are definitely on the
warm side. Rats.

A major thanks to Aaron for suggesting putting "price" in the search
terms. It's so frustrating to be in shopping mode and then have 200
hits on orchid society photos.