Old 03-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Don

Default RBG Orchid show in Burlington Ont

"brumman" wrote in message
om...
Thanks a lot Don and Ted - now I shall sulk for months. I was eagerly
looking forward to acquiring some of those bargains - especially the
RBG orchid society's own - I just can't understand how I missed this -
thought it would be in the autumn as usual. I do not think I'll be at
the SOOS show - don't like going to Toronto for anything - a place to
avoid if at all possible, even for orchids!
Derek, still fuming in Dundas

The next show that I am aware of is at Moo U. ( University of Guelph) the
weekend of Sept. 27. I have been told that there will be cactus and bonsai
shows the same weekend. Bonus. Although for cactus I usually head to
Dundas!
All the best
Don

Old 03-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Don

sucker. I can't force him to remove the tree, but until he does, I don't
know how to get rid of the suckers it is producing on my property, short

of
paving over it and putting a greenhouse on it (but it would take me a good
ten years to save enough to be able to pay for that). At least the tree

is

Building a greenhouse is the cheap part. Heating is the big cost and
filling it with plants is a never ending expense. There is always room for
one more orchid!

This will require more patience than my orchids, since it will be a year

or
two before I can do much with that part of the property, and I still have

get rid of a "hedge" some genius tried to make using maples. What a sight
that makes! Imagine a straight line of the sickliest striplings you have
ever seen, planted an average of 15 cm apart! There are issues in the

house
itself I have to address this year; not to mention my automated

orchidarium
project for this summer. One thing at a time!

That Maple hedge may be of interest to someone into bonsai, depending on the
type of maple. The size of the trunk is the main interest, the height
doesn't matter much as they will do what is called a trunk chop. You would
have free labour and get to see a big smile on someones' face. You could
offer them at rec.arts.bonsai, there are a few in that group from the GTA.

Don

Old 03-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Bob Betts

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 12:10:51 -0500, "Don" wrote:

"brumman" wrote in message
. com...
Thanks a lot Don and Ted - now I shall sulk for months. I was eagerly
looking forward to acquiring some of those bargains - especially the
RBG orchid society's own - I just can't understand how I missed this -
thought it would be in the autumn as usual. I do not think I'll be at
the SOOS show - don't like going to Toronto for anything - a place to
avoid if at all possible, even for orchids!
Derek, still fuming in Dundas

The next show that I am aware of is at Moo U. ( University of Guelph) the
weekend of Sept. 27. I have been told that there will be cactus and bonsai
shows the same weekend. Bonus. Although for cactus I usually head to
Dundas!
All the best
Don

Actually, the next show in the area will be the Toronto Artistic
Orchid Association show April 19 (12 to 5 ), April 20 (11 to 5 - (9 to
11 for photographers)) and April 21 (10 to 5). It will be held at the
Chinese Cultural Centre of Greater Toronto, 5183 Sheppard Avenue East,
Scarborough Ontatio.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Ted Byers

Building a greenhouse is the cheap part. Heating is the big cost and
filling it with plants is a never ending expense. There is always room

for
one more orchid!

I will set up a significant passive heating system, to help with this, but
having seen prices for greenhouses of the size of interest to me, I will
likely have to pay off the last of the financing for my truck before I can
consider it (and hope that the truck will last a few years beyond that!).
But, I may well be able to afford to act sooner if I buy the materials and
build it myself. I'll have to wait a see how my health holds up.

That Maple hedge may be of interest to someone into bonsai, depending on

the
type of maple. The size of the trunk is the main interest, the height
doesn't matter much as they will do what is called a trunk chop. You

would
have free labour and get to see a big smile on someones' face. You could
offer them at rec.arts.bonsai, there are a few in that group from the GTA.

Now that is interesting. I had never heard of using maple in that artform.
I have quote this and posted to rec.arts.bonsai. We'll see if anyone is
interested.

Thanks

Ted

RBG Kew Bob Hobden Garden Photos 0 18-04-2007 12:04 AM
RBG Kew Bob Hobden Garden Photos 0 18-04-2007 12:03 AM
RBG Kew Bob Hobden Garden Photos 0 18-04-2007 12:03 AM
Wanted 55gal stand in Canada Ont Jennifer Patrie Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 19-08-2005 05:10 PM
2004 Orchid Society Show (RBG) - photos Marc Riva Orchids 0 29-04-2004 08:03 PM