Old 27-03-2003, 03:56 AM
Ted Byers

Default RBG Orchid show in Burlington Ont

Will anyone participating in this forum be attending? If so, and you know
that area well, can you recommend any good restaurants near to the RBG
facility? I don't know that area well (so detailed instructions on how to
get to the recommended restaurant would be needed), and will be driving down
from Orillia (barring nasty weather), to arrive in the area around lunch
time (and I don't want to suffer through fast food, but as a diabetic I
can't skip a meal). Hopefully some of the vendors thre will have some of
the scented phals I've been looking for.

Cheers,

Ted

Old 27-03-2003, 05:08 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 21:43:54 -0500, "Ted Byers"
wrote:

Will anyone participating in this forum be attending? If so, and you know
that area well, can you recommend any good restaurants near to the RBG
facility? I don't know that area well (so detailed instructions on how to
get to the recommended restaurant would be needed), and will be driving down
from Orillia (barring nasty weather), to arrive in the area around lunch
time (and I don't want to suffer through fast food, but as a diabetic I
can't skip a meal). Hopefully some of the vendors thre will have some of
the scented phals I've been looking for.

Cheers,

Ted

Good Luck on the Phals and of course on Lunch. Please post pix
of the Phals you find.
SuE
SuE
Old 27-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Ted Byers

Good Luck on the Phals and of course on Lunch. Please post pix
of the Phals you find.
SuE

Thanks SuE

I would post such pix if I had a digital camera (and I would have already
posted one of my catt that is presently in bloom, and has been for a little
over three weeks already), but such a toy is not high on my list of
priorities right now. Now, if someone had one to loan or donate to the
cause ...

Cheers,

Ted

Old 27-03-2003, 07:08 PM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:19:09 -0500, "Ted Byers"
wrote:

Good Luck on the Phals and of course on Lunch. Please post pix
of the Phals you find.
SuE

Thanks SuE

I would post such pix if I had a digital camera (and I would have already
posted one of my catt that is presently in bloom, and has been for a little
over three weeks already), but such a toy is not high on my list of
priorities right now. Now, if someone had one to loan or donate to the
cause ...

Cheers,

Ted

OK Gang - Who is going to the show that can take pix for Ted...
and don't forget to get one with him in it. G

I am afraid we are too disorganized to get them posted.
Have fun.

SuE
Old 28-03-2003, 12:56 AM
Don

Hi Ted,
There is a restaurant at the RBG, the food that I have had there was very
good. My wife was so excited about the show that she got the dates mixed
up and we went there last weekend! We spent a couple of hours walking
through the greenhouses, well worth the trip. I am sure that we will be
there an hour early this Saturday as well, hopefully I will remember the
camera this time.
Don
.. .

Old 01-04-2003, 11:56 PM
brumman

Ted, there are a couple of decent restaurants on Plains Road - one
home style, the other Chinese, both within a couple of hundred metres
of the GBG. Also right opposite is a fantastic 50s style fast food
place renowned for its varied hot dogs - worth a look in to see the
celebrity wall even if you can't eat the food! Sorry I can't remember
names. :-)
Anyway re the show: I thought it was just a regular garden show - if
it is the Orchid show I'll be there without fail. Thanks for the post
informing me.
Derek
Old 02-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Don

Orchid show was last weekend, the garden show is this coming weekend at the
RBG.
The show was very enjoyable by the way.
Don

om...

Old 02-04-2003, 06:56 AM
Ted Byers

"Don" wrote in message
Orchid show was last weekend, the garden show is this coming weekend at

the
RBG.
The show was very enjoyable by the way.
Don

Yes, it was. And I picked up three plants: two nobile type dendrobiums and
a mini-catt (for bargain basement prices at that!).

But there is a much bigger orchid show next weekend in Toronto (check out
the SOOS website for details). That must of course take priority over a
plain, ol' garden show. Right? After all, IMHO anyway, the only garden
plants that have a hope of competing with the orchids are the lilies and
irises (which should come as no surprise since, unless I am going senile in
my old age, the irises are quite closely related to the orchids, perhaps
more so than any other group of plants).

Cheers,

Ted

Old 02-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Don

"Ted Byers" wrote in message
.. .

"Don" wrote in message
[...]

The prices on many plants were very good. We had 3 bags full and a flask
for a total of only $60 from the RGB Orchid society table alone. The
vendors were very helpful and we managed to find several more plants and
another flask to take home.
I am not sure if we can get to the SOOS show, my wife is concerned about the
SAARs out break in the GTA. She may change her mind as the weekend gets
nearer.
I agree with you regarding Irises and Lilies, they have been favourites of
mine for years. We moved to a new home last year that has about half an
acre of gardens full of unusual (for our location) plants, trees and
shrubs. There where very few Iris or lilies. I hope to correct that
problem!
Have fun at the show this weekend.
Don

Old 02-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Ted Byers

I am not sure if we can get to the SOOS show, my wife is concerned about
the
SARS out break in the GTA. She may change her mind as the weekend gets
nearer.

I wouldn't worry about SARS. It seems to me that the media especially, but
also certain politicians, have blown it up way out of proportion. There are
less than 2000 cases world wide, and the WHO has known about it for 5 months
already. If it is highly contagious, why is it that China, with a
population of over a billion people, doesn't have millions of cases and tens
of thousands of deaths? And then there is the fact that the mortality rate
among known cases is of the order of 4%. Globally, there are only a few
dozen deaths: tragic, but it could be much worse, and it is much worse with
a number of other diseases we generally ignore until they actually hit us
personally. Yes, it is apparently something new, and it is prudent for
health care authorities to be examining it, but with the numbers I have seen
so far, you are more likely to die from the flue in the next couple weeks
than you are to die from SARS. After all, the last I heard on the news,
there are an average of 2000 deaths annually in Canada alone due to the
flue: and some strains of the flue are MUCH worse than even that. In the
case of the flue, we know that, with most varieties, the very young, the
very old, and the sick are most at risk because their immune systems are
weak. In the case of SARS, there are far to few cases to even make a guess
at relative vulerabilities, except in the case of front line health care
workers, who seem to be at the greatest risk in Canada; but that is because
they are constantly exposed to sick people.

In some respects, it is like the concern about the west nile virus. Yes, it
can kill, and when symptoms apear they can be very serious, but the vast
majority of those actually infected with this virus never even shown
symptoms; and our general level of exposure to the virus is extremely low.
Yet, because of the coverage, and I suspect in part the treatment of the
issue by public health authorities, there is concern such that some are
recommending wide spread spraying for mosquito control (I sit on the
environmental advisory committee and have seen this question raised a number
of times). It seems to me that the risks due to the spraying may well be
much greater than the risk due to the west nile virus. There is just too
little known to make a good judgement about what to do, if anything.

I wonder how many people with serious conditions, like heart disease or
cancer, may die because of hospital closings, and delayed surgery, due to
SARS. My sister's brother-in-law has a serious heart condition. He will
not survive without surgery, yet his surgery has been postponed indefinitely
because of SARS. This is a situation in which taking steps to reduce one
health risk exacerbates others, but health care authorities often seem to
make recommendations or take decisions based on inadequate data.

If I were to speak with your wife, I would say, "Relax. Don't worry about
it. The risk to you is minimal. We have been treated to plenty of
irresponsible coverage in the media, and questionable judgements made by
some in the public health authorities, so your fears are understandable.
But do NOT cheat yourself of a delightful experience at the orchid show in
Toronto because of this."

BTW: lest anyone think I am blowing smoke, I make my living developing
software for the environmental consulting industry to facilitate risk
assessment, and I am an ecologist by training.

I agree with you regarding Irises and Lilies, they have been favourites of
mine for years. We moved to a new home last year that has about half an
acre of gardens full of unusual (for our location) plants, trees and
shrubs. There where very few Iris or lilies. I hope to correct that
problem!

I am in almost a similar situation. I bought, with my sister, a house in
Orillia that has a HUGE lot. The difference is that there were no gardens
at all anywhere, and in front of the house were two really six, large cedars
(now composting). My health is not very good, though, and double digging
the flower beds I put in front of the house almost killed me. I am
diabetic, and the day after I did it, my blood sugar went from 9 mmol/l to
less than 2 mmol/l in three quarters of an hour at breakfast time despite
having had a carbohydrate rich breakfast (any reading less than 3.5 mmol/l
should be considered dangerous). This was due to an elevated metabolic rate
due to the exercise the previous day. Had my nieces not been present when
it happened and ran to get fast sugar, I would have died last spring.
Fortunately, that was the only dangerous low I have ever had, and over the
past five years, my blood sugar has fallen as low as 3.5 mmol/l only about a
half a dozen times. I want to set up some beds in the back yard, but I
can't afford to hire anyone, and doing it myself will take a fair bit of
time, especially since every place I would put one will require double
digging and significant ammendment of the soil (I would probably need a
truck load of triple mix to get it right); and there is no help since my
sister's kids are too small and the adults in my family are all way to busy
with working for a living (I work too, but I don't have to work weekends).
For me, in addition to the beauty and fragrance of the lilies and irises
generally, the fact that they are very hardy perrenials has obvious
advantages for me.

Cheers,

Ted

Old 02-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Dave Sheehy

Ted Byers ) wrote:
: I agree with you regarding Irises and Lilies, they have been favourites of
: mine for years. We moved to a new home last year that has about half an
: acre of gardens full of unusual (for our location) plants, trees and
: shrubs. There where very few Iris or lilies. I hope to correct that
: problem!

I'm an Iris fan too. Two years ago I moved my Irises from the hill they were
planted on (and were doing very poorly there) to a bed just outside the
breakfast nook. Most of the Iris have scapes and the show is just beginning.
One of my favorites, "Autograph" (very light blue almost white stds and falls
with a blue beard), has already started blooming. The weather is pretty cool
right now so if it holds the show will last a while longer than usual.

Dave

Old 03-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Don

"Ted Byers" wrote in message
.. .
If I were to speak with your wife, I would say, "Relax. Don't worry about
it. The risk to you is minimal. We have been treated to plenty of
irresponsible coverage in the media, and questionable judgements made by
some in the public health authorities, so your fears are understandable.
But do NOT cheat yourself of a delightful experience at the orchid show in
Toronto because of this."

BTW: lest anyone think I am blowing smoke, I make my living developing
software for the environmental consulting industry to facilitate risk
assessment, and I am an ecologist by training.

No argument here. People often worry about things that to others would be
unfounded. My father is afraid to fly but loves to drive. Stats suggest
that we are more likely to die in a car crash than in a plane crash. I know
many that are afraid of mice, spiders, bees and most of all public speaking.
All may carry a slight risk of harm but for the most part we survive them.
I enjoy working with my honey bees but would not expect anyone who is
uncomfortable with bees to help me. I hope that we are able to get to the
show but only if she is comfortable with being there.

[...]

Those cedars may take a long time to compost!
My father is also diabetic, I am aware of how careful you must be and the
degree of concern that it can generate. Your gardens will develop over
time, they should be a joy not a burden.
Have you considered raised beds? We have a country property that is heavy
clay soil. We tried for years to grow flowers, usually with disappointment.
Digging in that stuff is hard going. We finally had a truck dump a load of
soil over the garden area (after covering it with wet newspaper to suppress
the weeds). Now the plants grow well and I don't need to dig in the clay.
Growing orchids has many advantages over regular flower beds, no digging and
no weeding to name two. However they seem to be some what addictive.
Enjoy the SOOS show.
Don

Old 03-04-2003, 07:20 AM
brumman

Thanks a lot Don and Ted - now I shall sulk for months. I was eagerly
looking forward to acquiring some of those bargains - especially the
RBG orchid society's own - I just can't understand how I missed this -
thought it would be in the autumn as usual. I do not think I'll be at
the SOOS show - don't like going to Toronto for anything - a place to
avoid if at all possible, even for orchids!
Derek, still fuming in Dundas

"Don" wrote in message ...
"Ted Byers" wrote in message
.. .

Old 03-04-2003, 08:32 AM
Ted Byers

"brumman" wrote in message
om...
Thanks a lot Don and Ted - now I shall sulk for months. I was eagerly
looking forward to acquiring some of those bargains - especially the
RBG orchid society's own - I just can't understand how I missed this -
thought it would be in the autumn as usual. I do not think I'll be at
the SOOS show - don't like going to Toronto for anything - a place to
avoid if at all possible, even for orchids!
Derek, still fuming in Dundas

I guess I am immune, or insensitive, to Toronto's darker side. I was born
and raised there, and while a grad student at U.of T., I lived in one of the
toughest areas of the city. And one of the jobs I had as an undergraduate,
was that of a courier, so I know how to get around even the worst of traffic
in TO. It takes a real catastrophe to really hinder me there. While I
wouldn't live there now, that is because of the cost of real estate, and
there are still priceless places there I like to visit, such as the
university and its library, some of the larger bookstores, Edwards Gardens,
&c.

BTW: while parking is a royal pain in the downtown core, the show is at a
hotel in Don Mills, just about ten or fifteen minutes south of the 401, so
parking, and traffic, should not be bad at all.

But cheer up Derek. There is always the show in Guelph. As I recall, that
will be in September or October. It isn't a big as that at RBG, and will be
tiny relative to the one in Toronto this weekend, but it is still good and
interesting. I remember getting some incredible plants there last year, but
I don't remember seeing any real bargains like those especially on the RBG
orchid society's own table. And, of course, there is always next year.
Skipping this year means you can buy twice as many next year, right?

Cheers,

Ted

Old 03-04-2003, 08:44 AM
Ted Byers

Those cedars may take a long time to compost!

Yup! That is why I'll let the city's composting program worry about them.
They do take any organic matter. ;-)

My father is also diabetic, I am aware of how careful you must be and the
degree of concern that it can generate. Your gardens will develop over
time, they should be a joy not a burden.

Quite right. I will take my time, and use it as an opportunity to educate
my neice and nephew; they may be too young to do the heavy digging, but
they're the right age to start learning about it.

Have you considered raised beds? We have a country property that is heavy
clay soil. We tried for years to grow flowers, usually with

disappointment.
Digging in that stuff is hard going. We finally had a truck dump a load

of
soil over the garden area (after covering it with wet newspaper to

suppress
the weeds). Now the plants grow well and I don't need to dig in the clay.

Actually, yes I have. But there is one big problem that has to be solved
first. My neighbor to the north has a dying maple just a couple metres from
the property line. Since it is dying, it is putting up suckers all over the
place: hundreds right from the base of the trunk, and it is imposible to go
a metre in the northern 5 metres of my property without finding yet another
sucker. I can't force him to remove the tree, but until he does, I don't
know how to get rid of the suckers it is producing on my property, short of
paving over it and putting a greenhouse on it (but it would take me a good
ten years to save enough to be able to pay for that). At least the tree is
leaning away from my property, and toward his house. I just hope he has
enough sense to remove it before it does serious damage to his house, or
maybe one of the residents.

This will require more patience than my orchids, since it will be a year or
two before I can do much with that part of the property, and I still have to
get rid of a "hedge" some genius tried to make using maples. What a sight
that makes! Imagine a straight line of the sickliest striplings you have
ever seen, planted an average of 15 cm apart! There are issues in the house
itself I have to address this year; not to mention my automated orchidarium
project for this summer. One thing at a time!

Growing orchids has many advantages over regular flower beds, no digging

and
no weeding to name two. However they seem to be some what addictive.

Quite right. And being in the house, I don't have to worry about pests. Or
perhaps I should rephrase that to mean that in the past I have never had a
problem with pests in the house.

Cheers,

Ted

RBG Kew Bob Hobden Garden Photos 0 18-04-2007 12:04 AM
RBG Kew Bob Hobden Garden Photos 0 18-04-2007 12:03 AM
RBG Kew Bob Hobden Garden Photos 0 18-04-2007 12:03 AM
Wanted 55gal stand in Canada Ont Jennifer Patrie Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 19-08-2005 05:10 PM
2004 Orchid Society Show (RBG) - photos Marc Riva Orchids 0 29-04-2004 08:03 PM