Old 28-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Susan Erickson

Default ORCHID CULTURE BOOKS

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:48:27 +0100, "Akerne Orchids, Belgium"
wrote:
We can offer this set (volume 1 & 2 of the Genus Paphiopedilum -
Natural History and Cultivation by Braem/Baker) if you are interested.

Price for the set 90.00 Euros + shipment.

kind regards,

Kenneth Bruyninckx
Akerne Orchids, Belgium
http://www.akerne-orchids.com

Sorry I am not up to importing my books.. But since this thread
went that way..
NON-BEGINER
What books did you find the most informative or the most
interesting?

Best Book currently available on any group you want to pick -

Is the Cattleya series worth buying all 6 books?
OR are some better than others?

Time for a serious library expansion.. do I go for the Baker book
on Dendrobiums? or ?

SuE
Old 28-03-2003, 11:44 PM
profpam

Other than Pridgeon's Orchid Encyclopedia, Rebecca Northern's book is
one of the best. I have a list of must-read books on my website page:
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/freestuff.html

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 28-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Dewitt

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 23:30:06 GMT, profpam wrote:

Rebecca Northern's book is
one of the best.

Anybody know if an update to this is planned? The edition I have is
rather old and talks about potting in osmunda. I'd spring for an new
copy, but the currently available version is from 1990 and I figure
that has to be an update in the works.

deg
Old 29-03-2003, 12:20 AM
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 23:50:21 GMT, Dewitt
wrote:

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 23:30:06 GMT, profpam wrote:

Rebecca Northern's book is
one of the best.

Anybody know if an update to this is planned? The edition I have is
rather old and talks about potting in osmunda. I'd spring for an new
copy, but the currently available version is from 1990 and I figure
that has to be an update in the works.

deg

I heard she was not up to doing it again. It is a shame to let
it go. It would be tremendous in Color and with current culture
information.. but that much change and it is a whole new book.

SuE
Old 29-03-2003, 03:08 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

I think the 4th edition (1990) is the last.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

Old 30-03-2003, 06:08 AM
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 23:30:06 GMT, profpam wrote:

Other than Pridgeon's Orchid Encyclopedia, Rebecca Northern's book is
one of the best. I have a list of must-read books on my website page:
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/freestuff.html

. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Is the Cattleya series worth buying all 6 books?
OR are some better than others?

Time for a serious library expansion.. do I go for the Baker book
on Dendrobiums? or ?

SuE

Thanks for the suggestions Pam.
I have Hawkes and Bechtel's Technical Encyclopedias.
Cash on The Slipper Orchids, Grove on Vanda and Ascocenda.
I have a couple of Picture books like 'Orchids' and Rebecca
Northern's Miniatures and the usual "Growing Orchids" beginner's
style books.
But what new technical books are really great or fill the gaping
holes?

SuE
Old 30-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

Susan Erickson writes:
I have a couple of Picture books like 'Orchids' and Rebecca
Northern's Miniatures and the usual "Growing Orchids" beginner's

Miniature orchids? Sounds like my thing, even if they are impossible
to get here in Norway. I need to take a trip abroad soon, it seems.

Can't find it on amazon. Could I have the ISBN number, please?

Geir
Old 30-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

Geir Harris Hedemark writes:
Can't find it on amazon. Could I have the ISBN number, please?

Following up my own posts. What will be next?

Found it. She was listed as "Northen". It was cheap as well.

Geir
Old 30-03-2003, 03:44 PM
Susan Erickson

On 30 Mar 2003 13:39:13 +0200, Geir Harris Hedemark
wrote:

Geir Harris Hedemark writes:
Can't find it on amazon. Could I have the ISBN number, please?

Following up my own posts. What will be next?

Found it. She was listed as "Northen". It was cheap as well.

Geir

It is very old. She wrote delightful books. But they need to be
updated for to days market availability and methods.

SuE
Old 30-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Dewitt

wrote:

Can't find it on amazon. Could I have the ISBN number, please?

Following up my own posts. What will be next?

Found it. She was listed as "Northen". It was cheap as well.

Geir

Her name is actually Rebecca Tyson Northen.

deg

Old 30-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Aaron Hicks

Sue's right; they're great books (my first orchid book was a 3rd
edition of Northen's "Home Orchid Growing"), but they are a little dated
now. Third and fourth editions seem to be the same; both call for the use
of fungicides that are long gone (natriphene, anyone?), and there are
other problems- none of which should keep an aspiring (but alert) neophyte
from purchasing a copy.

Check "eBay." They come up now and again, and sell for anywhere
between "Cheap!" and "A little too much."

www.bookfinder.com has MANY copies listed; again, you'll want
third or fourth edition. First and second edition are of interest to the
collector, who will appreciate the historical backgrounds given within.
Some great information even in the older texts.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

E-mail address in header isn't valid. Sorry.

Old 10-04-2003, 11:56 AM
EDWARD HANSON

Hi all , Am new to the group.. Best books are by 'J.N.RENTOUL'. They are
in a set of 4 books & cover almost every known species as well as most known
varieties. Have fun
Ted