Old 29-03-2003, 04:56 AM
Dave Sheehy

Default Den nobile question

I got my first Den nobile type orchid a few weeks ago and have a quick
husbandry question. BTW, it's Den. White Pony 'Akamutu'.

Anyway, the plant is in a 4" pot, has 3 canes, and was in bloom when I got
it. The blooms have since died and I'm basically waiting for signs of new
growth so I can start watering and feeding it. But, the oldest cane is
turning black and getting soft so soon I will be down to 2 canes. I am
a bit concerned about the viability of the plant. Opinions about this
concern would be appreciated. All the canes, including the dying one, are
nicely rounded with no wrinkling. I did some gentile poking around and the
roots look OK and the media looks pretty fresh, it's your basic bark,
charcoal, and perlite mixture. There is a rounded, ~1/2" horizontal 'nub',
for lack of a better term, sticking off the end of the newest cane. Is this
where the new growth will start (my guess)?

Any ideas as to what may be happening (if anything)? Should I just stick
it out and wait for it to break dormancy?

TIA,

Dave Sheehy

Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
solo_voyager

First of all if that cane is actually turning black and softening it
almost assuredly has either a fungal or bacterial infection and needs
immediate attention. It could kill the entire plant.

Secondly, if the new growth is anywhere other than from the base of
the youngest cane, it is probably a keiki, a form of asexual
reproduction, not part of the plant's natural growth progression. It
possibly could be another infloresence beginning, but not likely.

Old 01-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Dave Sheehy

solo_voyager ) wrote:
: First of all if that cane is actually turning black and softening it
: almost assuredly has either a fungal or bacterial infection and needs
: immediate attention. It could kill the entire plant.

The cane, which is 6-8" long, has 2 1" areas that are black. The rest of the
cane is green and is firm to the touch. When you say immediate attention I
assume that means to remove (i.e. prune) that cane from the rest of the plant,
right?

: Secondly, if the new growth is anywhere other than from the base of
: the youngest cane, it is probably a keiki, a form of asexual
: reproduction, not part of the plant's natural growth progression. It
: possibly could be another infloresence beginning, but not likely.

There is no new growth anywhere on the plant. The "nub" that I referred to
extends from the base of the youngest cane and none of it appears "new". It
seems like an extension of the rhizome. Temperatures are starting to warm
up here so maybe that will kick start it.

Dave

:

Den nobile betsyb Orchids 8 12-07-2006 08:08 PM
Den nobile varieties? Gene Schurg Orchids 3 07-01-2006 05:33 AM
Old Den Nobile problem betsyb Orchids 13 20-09-2004 01:58 AM
Old Den Nobile problem betsyb Orchids 0 19-09-2004 02:33 AM
Orchid name etymology (Den. nobile) Rob Halgren Orchids 0 19-07-2004 06:07 PM