Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Wilbur Davidson

Default Blettilla - reproducing

I have a clump of Bletilla (hardy orchids) which I planted about 10 years
ago. The clump is spreading to a larger area than I wish to maintain. Can
anyone tell me when I can dig some up to replant and also donate some to my
local orcid society? I live on Long Island, NY (zone 7)

Any advice would be appreciated.
Wilbur Davidson

Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

The best time would be late fall when they're dormant, but as hardy as they
are, I doubt it's critical.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Gene Schurg

Wilbur,

I wish I was so lucky. My Bletilla plants are still quite small.

The best time to relocate them is just as soon as you can see the growing
tip above the ground.

If it was my patch I would select areas where I could carefully lift clumps
of the rhysomes and put them in another location or in a box to be replanted
quickly. If you take a few clumps from different areas in the patch the
other plants will grow to fill the void.

Backfill the hole with good garden soil or compost. You'll never even know
they were taken away.

Good Growing,
Gene