Old 30-03-2003, 06:32 AM
Dave Lockwood

Default AOS meeting

I just got back from the AOS meeting in Hilo. Yes, I know the meeting was
last weekend...we really like Hawaii. I got a chance to visits some
nurseries and was impressed. In particular Atkasuka's up on the volcano.
The facility is definitely high-end. The busloads of Japanese tourists
stream in. If you catch them between busloads or on Sunday you will be
greeted by a personable and knowledgeable staff. Cindy was particularly
kind. Carmella's was also a very friendly and BIG operation. Row after row
of blooming Phals. I took some photos and will post them on the a.b.p.o.
group.

You will notice that I'm not mentioning the meetings of the AOS. That's
'cause I didn't go to any.

There was a plant show/sale run by the Hilo Orchid Society that was very
nice. I got a chance to meet the main "Brother" of Brothers Orchid fame. A
very nice gentleman. It was great to meet people I had heard so much about.

Not bragging, just the facts.

Dave

Old 30-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Gene Schurg

Dave,

I was in Hilo a little over a year ago. Everyone there is very friendly and
helpful. It must have something to do with living in one of the greatest
places on earth! It rained most of the time when I was on that side of the
island but it was still beautiful.

Funny you should mention Atkasuka. The busloads of tourists come through
there and I was not impressed. I thought it looked like a tourist stop.
When I was there they lacked much variety. I did order a big box of
antheriums for a friend.

Glad you had a great trip. I would like to go back and visit (and buy more
plants).

Gene