GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   greenhouse frogs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/12277-greenhouse-frogs.html)

Dave Lockwood 30-03-2003 05:32 AM

greenhouse frogs

While in Hawaii I heard much about the evils of the Caribbean Tree Frog that
is running amok there. I guess they are very noisy. They have no tadpole
stage and the babies sure are cute (about 3/16" long). There was also talk
of "Greenhouse Frogs". They are even smaller. Does anyone have any info on
them?

Dave

Gene Schurg 30-03-2003 03:56 PM

greenhouse frogs

Dave,

The coqui's are driving the Hawaiians crazy. They make noise .... very loud
noise! In Puerto Rico they embrace the coqui and print their image on
everything available. They are cute frogs to tourists but if I had one
outside my bedroom window at night I'd probably hate them too.

I guess the big concern is that the Hawaiian Islands are a closed ecosystem
and a frog such as this will tip the balance.

Gene

.net...

Ray @ First Rays Orchids 30-03-2003 06:32 PM

greenhouse frogs

We had our chare of tree frogs in SC, as well. They sounded like little
Chihuahuas barking, but with time the sound was soothing enough to help me
go to sleep - especially on rainy nights.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

hlink.net...

JR 31-03-2003 04:08 AM

greenhouse frogs

Check this site, it has pix and recordings of the frogs.

http://www.hear.org/AlienSpeciesInHa...peopleproblems

Jim

RJ in NC 01-04-2003 05:20 PM

greenhouse frogs

They are an acquired taste in listening. As a kid I fell asleep
listening to the chorus but if you get one under your bed, watch out.
You won't sleep till you find it. Very cute and very loud. Probably
got to Hawaii on some fruit or produce. Puerto Rico, the Virgin
Islands, Guam and Hawaii along with South Florida trade plant material
all the time as tropical areas of the US. RJ