Old 01-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Wendy

Default Tag Name Question

The tag reads:- Hybrido Enc adenocaula x digbyana

Question:- Do I have to keep the word "Hybrid" or is that just for the
grower's purpose to differentiate from a species?
Should the tag be:-
Enc. adenocaula x B. digbyana
Cheer Wendy

Old 01-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Rob Halgren

Wendy wrote:

The tag reads:- Hybrido Enc adenocaula x digbyana

Question:- Do I have to keep the word "Hybrid" or is that just for the
grower's purpose to differentiate from a species?
Should the tag be:-
Enc. adenocaula x B. digbyana
Cheer Wendy

No, you can drop el hybrido... And technically, it really should be
Enc. adenocaula x Rhynch. digbiyana. As far as my version of Wildcatt
is concerned, it isn't registered.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 01-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Kenni Judd

Rob is correct. But, last I heard [I am not sure I'm current on all the
recent RHS changes], the plant would be a Bepi. [Brassoepidendrum] for
registration purposes [and I hate to imagine what the change would be --
Rhynchocyclia???]. If you are doing further research, also keep in mind
that Enc. adenocaula used to be Epi. nemorale.

Good growing,

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 01-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Kenni Judd

And usually the plants don't care what you call them G.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 01-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Susan Erickson

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
And usually the plants don't care what you call them G.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

ROSES!! - This I am waiting to see...
But I will not hold my breath.

All of digbyana's hybrids listed in Wildcatt are under
B. digbyana.
Most of Ency adenocalula's hybrids are listed under Epi.
nemorale, but there are almost a dozen as Epi adenocalula.
Neither of which or should that be none of the above are combined
in such a way as to give Wendy's hybrid plant a name.

Sorry Wendy, we did try for you.

SuE
Old 02-04-2003, 12:44 AM
Wendy

Thanks Sue, I should have worded my original post a little better.
I knew it wasn't named, need to clarify the "Hybrido"
Rob informs me that Brassavola digbyana is now Rhynch. ???? Now I am
even more confused but then again, it doesn't take much
when it comes to the naming structure of orchids.
Cheers Wendy

Old 02-04-2003, 01:08 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

Oh yes they do! Call those reluctant bloomers "compost heap fodder" and
they'll turn right around!

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

Old 02-04-2003, 07:44 AM
Susan Erickson

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 15:39:05 -0800, "Wendy"
wrote:

Thanks Sue, I should have worded my original post a little better.
I knew it wasn't named, need to clarify the "Hybrido"
Rob informs me that Brassavola digbyana is now Rhynch. ???? Now I am
even more confused but then again, it doesn't take much
when it comes to the naming structure of orchids.
Cheers Wendy

Sorry Wendy, we did try your patience.

You have (Ency adenocalula x Rhyncholaelia digbyana) under todays
name conventions or Brassoepidendrum (pretty name) if it were
registered with a pretty name. Since it is not - you can call it
Bepi. (Ency adenocalula x Rhyncholaelia digbyana)

Is it pretty?

SuE

Old 02-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Kenni Judd

I have had some limited success with that tactic. I should also note, with
no disrespect intended to any lurking taxonomists, that my Epi. cochleatum
seemed to enjoy becoming Enc. cochleata, but it sulked for weeks when I
suggested it might have been re-classified as an Anacheilium (sp?). I
haven't dared to approach it about Prosthechea VBG.

In a more serious answer for Wendy: some years ago, the "splitters" took
two [that I know of] species, digbyana and glauca, out of Brassavola and
re-named them Rhyncholaelia. I can see the reasoning for such a move,
these 2 species are very different from all the rest of the Brassavolas.
However, I can also understand why the RHS did not immediately run out and
change all its records on the many thousands of previously-registered Bc,
Blc., Pot., etc., hybrids that had been made using these as parents ... all
of which results in a situation which can't help but be confusing. And it's
worse when they change the species name as well as the genus -- e.g., Epi.
atropurpuream/Enc. cordigera, Epi. nemorale/Enc. adenocaula. At least with
cochleata/um, they only changed the ending (for "gender" agreement).

Good growing,
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Wendy wrote:

The tag reads:- Hybrido Enc adenocaula x digbyana

Question:- Do I have to keep the word "Hybrid" or is that just

for
the
grower's purpose to differentiate from a species?
Should the tag be:-
Enc. adenocaula x B. digbyana
Cheer Wendy

No, you can drop el hybrido... And technically, it really

should
be
Enc. adenocaula x Rhynch. digbiyana. As far as my version of

Wildcatt
is concerned, it isn't registered.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Scientific Name Eschsclozia californica COMMON NAME CALIFORNIA POPPY Family Name Papavaraceae Paddy's Pig[_7_] Garden Photos 4 23-03-2011 06:44 PM
Scientific Name Salvia mellifera COMMON NAME BLACK SAGE Family Name Lamiaceae Paddy's Pig[_7_] Garden Photos 1 23-03-2011 08:22 AM
Name Tag Illegible???? wendy7 Orchids 5 30-08-2006 12:36 PM
Oncidium with name tag typos? [email protected] Orchids 0 24-05-2005 03:56 AM
Decipher my name tag [email protected] Orchids 8 12-12-2003 03:12 AM