GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   repot blooming Phalaenopsis (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/12845-repot-blooming-phalaenopsis.html)

Janice Wiegley 03-04-2003 05:32 PM

repot blooming Phalaenopsis

I just bought a gorgeous new phalaenopsis at Home Depot. It's a dark
purple with 1" blooms. Bloom spike is a little over 1 foot tall. It
has 7 blooms open with 7 more to come out. The potting area in the
pot is about 3" in diameter. My worry is that 2 of the blooms are
dying aleady. Should I be worried? I think it probably needs a
bigger pot but when do I repot it? Now, while it's in bloom or after?
Thanks so much. (you should see my other phal from Home Depot - 42
blossoms with 2 bloom spikes, it's amazing)

Karen 03-04-2003 06:32 PM

Janice Wiegley wrote:
I just bought a gorgeous new phalaenopsis at Home Depot. It's a dark
purple with 1" blooms. Bloom spike is a little over 1 foot tall. It
has 7 blooms open with 7 more to come out. The potting area in the
pot is about 3" in diameter. My worry is that 2 of the blooms are
dying aleady. Should I be worried? I think it probably needs a
bigger pot but when do I repot it? Now, while it's in bloom or after?
Thanks so much. (you should see my other phal from Home Depot - 42
blossoms with 2 bloom spikes, it's amazing)

Janice since you do not know how long it was blooming before you bought
it I would not worry about repotting it now. Doing it now, unless it is
being done to save the life of the plant will certainly ensure that the
rest do not bloom.

It could be that the plant is getting use to your environment, so some
flower loss is expected. Also depending on the weather when you bought
it and where you live, it could have been exposed to temperatures it did
not like when you were transporting it home. This could also make
flowers drop.

Also you said that you bought it at Home Depot. My experience is that
the folks there generally do not know too much about orchids. That means
they do not always take care of them correctly. That adds to plant
stress and blooms dropping.

So relax and enjoy your flower. Repot after it is finished blooming and
then wait for next year for your next set of blooms.

Karen