Old 20-03-2006, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Default LC purple pigment on leaf, pseudobulb, and sheath?

My Lc Tokyo Magic 'Hihimanu' x Slc. Fire Fantasy 'Hihimanu' has some purple
pigmentation on its newest pseudobulb, leaf and sheath, which is different
from older growths that were completely green. Any idea what that could mean
(if anything)? This is a mini-catt that tends to flower twice a year for me,
once very poorly and once spectacularly. The previous flowering was so poor
that I started talking about perhaps giving this plant away (in its
hearing), and that threat must have helped since now it has 4 buds coming
out of this newest sheath. :-) At previous flowerings the sheath of this Lc
tended to dry out before the buds started coming out of it, whereas this
time around the sheath is still completely green with some purple and the
buds are slowly beginning to open. It's almost behaving like a different
plant, but that is not possible. The environment that this LC has been grown
in has changed drastically this year, so I assume that that's what caused
the changes.

Joanna

Old 20-03-2006, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob

Sounds like you are giving it more light... Seems like a healthy color
to me.

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 20-03-2006, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Rob's is no doubt right, but I do have a question. Is the new environment
colder? For those of us who grow outside down here and have little control
over our temps, the rare cold weather can cause reddish purple pigmentation
of Catt leaves. Our solution is Epsom salts, 1Tb/gallon once a month.

Just sayin'.....

Diana

Old 20-03-2006, 10:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Rob and Diana both make good suggestions -- and it would take a very good
picture to let us have a chance of firmly deciding between the two.

But since you say the plant is budding/blooming nicely, I lean toward the
"it's finally get enough light" theory. A lot of Catts with red or purple
color in the flowers will show some of that color in the foliage as well,
grown with good strong light. If it were cold damage, I think you probably
would've lost the buds. So, put that new Den near this Catt G. Kenni

Old 21-03-2006, 04:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Rob, Diana, and Kenni,

Thank you for your ideas. Could it be a bit of both? More light and colder?
I will see once the buds fully open whether the flowers are indeed good this
time, but I've got my hopes up at this point.

Joanna

Old 21-03-2006, 09:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

Joanna
Are you growing under lights, alot of "Grow" bulbs can cause a plant to
produce more red pigment, I have some plants that have changed to a
reddish purple color. If you put them out just in the sun they will
change back to green, unless they were burned of course.

Jack

studies in algae on its secondary pigment production [email protected] Plant Science 0 10-06-2006 07:22 AM
Flowers don't emerge from sheath. K Barrett Orchids 19 18-09-2004 04:58 PM
Sheath Question Shell Orchids 7 26-12-2003 03:02 PM
Pseudobulb Shrinkage christopher johnson Orchids 2 12-12-2003 05:03 PM
Poinsettia pigment... Marcus Fox United Kingdom 3 28-12-2002 03:25 PM