Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old 23-03-2006, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
LISA HOLMES
 
Posts: n/a
Default DENDROBIUM loddigesii & Dockrillia wassellii & phals

Hi Folks,

I've had these 2 species for several years. DENDROBIUM loddigesii bloomed
well for me for several years until we moved 4 years ago. Maybe it is
getting too much heat in my new greenhouse or needs something that I am not
giving it.

Dockrilla wassellii was given to me as a very tiny, out the flask plant
about the year 2000. It is now a fairly large plant. I know it likes lots
of sun but it needs repotting and any information would be helpful. It has
never bloomed.

I live on the Gulf Coast close to Houston, TX. I use to live right on the
coast but now live 30 miles off the coast on a lake. It gets very hot and
humid here in the summer we have hardly any winter. We had one freeze this
year. The reason why I'm telling you this is my phals have suffered since
we moved. I had a wonderful collection of phals before we moved. Do you
think it is because of the lake behind our house? I have fought fungus and
rot since we have moved.

Just a few thoughts. Any info appreciated.

Lisa Holmes




  #2   Report Post  
Old 23-03-2006, 08:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna
 
Posts: n/a
Default DENDROBIUM loddigesii & Dockrillia wassellii & phals

Lisa,

I also moved to a home with higher humidity last year. If your humidity is
higher, you may want to run a fan to provide more air movement in the room
where the orchids are. In addition, have you adjusted your watering schedule
to the new environment? If it is more humid, then you will need to water
less often. Do you always water in the mornings, and not in the evenings?
Watering in the evenings makes fungus more likely since the leaves have less
time to dry out before the cooler night.

Best,
Joanna

"LISA HOLMES" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Hi Folks,

I've had these 2 species for several years. DENDROBIUM loddigesii bloomed
well for me for several years until we moved 4 years ago. Maybe it is
getting too much heat in my new greenhouse or needs something that I am
not giving it.

Dockrilla wassellii was given to me as a very tiny, out the flask plant
about the year 2000. It is now a fairly large plant. I know it likes
lots of sun but it needs repotting and any information would be helpful.
It has never bloomed.

I live on the Gulf Coast close to Houston, TX. I use to live right on the
coast but now live 30 miles off the coast on a lake. It gets very hot and
humid here in the summer we have hardly any winter. We had one freeze
this year. The reason why I'm telling you this is my phals have suffered
since we moved. I had a wonderful collection of phals before we moved.
Do you think it is because of the lake behind our house? I have fought
fungus and rot since we have moved.

Just a few thoughts. Any info appreciated.

Lisa Holmes





  #3   Report Post  
Old 23-03-2006, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
LISA HOLMES
 
Posts: n/a
Default DENDROBIUM loddigesii & Dockrillia wassellii & phals

I water in the mornings and I have 2 fans going constantly. The humidity is
the same as where I use to live. The potting mixture is the same which is
what we use on the Gulf Coast. Perlite, Charcoal, very little bark, and
sometimes I use gravel. I also put packing peanuts at the bottom of the
phals for more drainage. I changed my shade cloth last summer because I
thought maybe it was too shady. Things just got worse this winter. I moved
the phals to a different location in the greenhouse and this has helped
some. I will keep working on it. It has to be something wrong with the
enviroment. Thanks,
Lisa
"J Fortuna" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Lisa,

I also moved to a home with higher humidity last year. If your humidity is
higher, you may want to run a fan to provide more air movement in the room
where the orchids are. In addition, have you adjusted your watering
schedule to the new environment? If it is more humid, then you will need
to water less often. Do you always water in the mornings, and not in the
evenings? Watering in the evenings makes fungus more likely since the
leaves have less time to dry out before the cooler night.

Best,
Joanna

"LISA HOLMES" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Hi Folks,

I've had these 2 species for several years. DENDROBIUM loddigesii
bloomed well for me for several years until we moved 4 years ago. Maybe
it is getting too much heat in my new greenhouse or needs something that
I am not giving it.

Dockrilla wassellii was given to me as a very tiny, out the flask plant
about the year 2000. It is now a fairly large plant. I know it likes
lots of sun but it needs repotting and any information would be helpful.
It has never bloomed.

I live on the Gulf Coast close to Houston, TX. I use to live right on
the coast but now live 30 miles off the coast on a lake. It gets very
hot and humid here in the summer we have hardly any winter. We had one
freeze this year. The reason why I'm telling you this is my phals have
suffered since we moved. I had a wonderful collection of phals before we
moved. Do you think it is because of the lake behind our house? I have
fought fungus and rot since we have moved.

Just a few thoughts. Any info appreciated.

Lisa Holmes







  #4   Report Post  
Old 24-03-2006, 04:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7
 
Posts: n/a
Default DENDROBIUM loddigesii & Dockrillia wassellii & phals

Hi Lisa,
It seems like you are going to have to spray & wash down everything.
I have used Physan to spray on plants & a mixture of bleach & vinegar to wash
down the greenhouse & floors etc.
I would put in extra fans too.
Good luck.
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

LISA HOLMES wrote:
Hi Folks,

I've had these 2 species for several years. DENDROBIUM loddigesii
bloomed well for me for several years until we moved 4 years ago. Maybe it is
getting too much heat in my new greenhouse or needs
something that I am not giving it.

Dockrilla wassellii was given to me as a very tiny, out the flask
plant about the year 2000. It is now a fairly large plant. I know
it likes lots of sun but it needs repotting and any information would
be helpful. It has never bloomed.

I live on the Gulf Coast close to Houston, TX. I use to live right
on the coast but now live 30 miles off the coast on a lake. It gets
very hot and humid here in the summer we have hardly any winter. We
had one freeze this year. The reason why I'm telling you this is my
phals have suffered since we moved. I had a wonderful collection of
phals before we moved. Do you think it is because of the lake behind
our house? I have fought fungus and rot since we have moved.

Just a few thoughts. Any info appreciated.

Lisa Holmes



  #5   Report Post  
Old 24-03-2006, 10:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray
 
Posts: n/a
Default DENDROBIUM loddigesii & Dockrillia wassellii & phals

Having gone back and reread the original post, if you're having rot
problems, I have to totally agree with Wendy on the fans. Decent air
movement - ion addition to general cleanliness - goes a long way to
preventing such issues. The gulf breezes probably helped you out before,
but you'd need to provide that artificially in Houston.

--

Ray Barkalow - First Rays Orchids - www.firstrays.com
Plants, Supplies, Artwork, Books and Lots of Free Info!


"wendy7" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Hi Lisa,
It seems like you are going to have to spray & wash down everything.
I have used Physan to spray on plants & a mixture of bleach & vinegar to
wash
down the greenhouse & floors etc.
I would put in extra fans too.
Good luck.
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

LISA HOLMES wrote:
Hi Folks,

I've had these 2 species for several years. DENDROBIUM loddigesii
bloomed well for me for several years until we moved 4 years ago. Maybe
it is getting too much heat in my new greenhouse or needs
something that I am not giving it.

Dockrilla wassellii was given to me as a very tiny, out the flask
plant about the year 2000. It is now a fairly large plant. I know
it likes lots of sun but it needs repotting and any information would
be helpful. It has never bloomed.

I live on the Gulf Coast close to Houston, TX. I use to live right
on the coast but now live 30 miles off the coast on a lake. It gets
very hot and humid here in the summer we have hardly any winter. We
had one freeze this year. The reason why I'm telling you this is my
phals have suffered since we moved. I had a wonderful collection of
phals before we moved. Do you think it is because of the lake behind
our house? I have fought fungus and rot since we have moved.

Just a few thoughts. Any info appreciated.

Lisa Holmes







  #6   Report Post  
Old 24-03-2006, 12:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
LISA HOLMES
 
Posts: n/a
Default DENDROBIUM loddigesii & Dockrillia wassellii & phals

Good idea. I'll wash everything down. Closing the greenhouse up for the
winter may be a problem, as well. I can add 2 more fans.
Thanks,

Lisa

Hi Lisa,
It seems like you are going to have to spray & wash down everything.
I have used Physan to spray on plants & a mixture of bleach & vinegar to
wash
down the greenhouse & floors etc.
I would put in extra fans too.
Good luck.
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

LISA HOLMES wrote:
Hi Folks,

I've had these 2 species for several years. DENDROBIUM loddigesii
bloomed well for me for several years until we moved 4 years ago. Maybe
it is getting too much heat in my new greenhouse or needs
something that I am not giving it.

Dockrilla wassellii was given to me as a very tiny, out the flask
plant about the year 2000. It is now a fairly large plant. I know
it likes lots of sun but it needs repotting and any information would
be helpful. It has never bloomed.

I live on the Gulf Coast close to Houston, TX. I use to live right
on the coast but now live 30 miles off the coast on a lake. It gets
very hot and humid here in the summer we have hardly any winter. We
had one freeze this year. The reason why I'm telling you this is my
phals have suffered since we moved. I had a wonderful collection of
phals before we moved. Do you think it is because of the lake behind
our house? I have fought fungus and rot since we have moved.

Just a few thoughts. Any info appreciated.

Lisa Holmes





  #7   Report Post  
Old 24-03-2006, 12:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jadel
 
Posts: n/a
Default DENDROBIUM loddigesii & Dockrillia wassellii & phals


LISA HOLMES wrote:

Dockrilla wassellii was given to me as a very tiny, out the flask plant
about the year 2000. It is now a fairly large plant. I know it likes lots
of sun but it needs repotting and any information would be helpful. It has
never bloomed.



I have Dock. wassellii. It bloomed for me last year. I give it full
sun all summer here in WV. The flowers are very delicate looking.
They don't last as long as some other orchids I have.

I agree with the others that you need to increase air circulation.


J. Del Col

  #8   Report Post  
Old 31-03-2006, 01:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Dusty
 
Posts: n/a
Default DENDROBIUM loddigesii & Dockrillia wassellii & phals

"LISA HOLMES" wrote in
news:[email protected]:

Good idea. I'll wash everything down. Closing the greenhouse up for
the winter may be a problem, as well. I can add 2 more fans.
Thanks,

Lisa

Hi Lisa,
It seems like you are going to have to spray & wash down
everything.
I have used Physan to spray on plants & a mixture of bleach & vinegar
to wash
down the greenhouse & floors etc.
I would put in extra fans too.
Good luck.
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

LISA HOLMES wrote:
Hi Folks,

I've had these 2 species for several years. DENDROBIUM loddigesii
bloomed well for me for several years until we moved 4 years ago.
Maybe it is getting too much heat in my new greenhouse or needs
something that I am not giving it.

Dockrilla wassellii was given to me as a very tiny, out the flask
plant about the year 2000. It is now a fairly large plant. I know
it likes lots of sun but it needs repotting and any information
would be helpful. It has never bloomed.

I live on the Gulf Coast close to Houston, TX. I use to live right
on the coast but now live 30 miles off the coast on a lake. It gets
very hot and humid here in the summer we have hardly any winter. We
had one freeze this year. The reason why I'm telling you this is my
phals have suffered since we moved. I had a wonderful collection of
phals before we moved. Do you think it is because of the lake
behind our house? I have fought fungus and rot since we have moved.

Just a few thoughts. Any info appreciated.

Lisa Holmes






Hi lisa
You say you close up your greenhouse for the winter???? What do you
mean?
I live in the midwest zone 5 and my greenhouse vents are always active
on sunny days when the outside temperature is above 25F.
It sounds like you plants need a little more fresh air.
Grow well and bloom magnificently
dusty
*** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com ***
*** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from http://www.SecureIX.com ***


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dockrillia wassellii Wendy7 Orchid Photos 4 11-05-2008 10:15 PM
Dendrobium loddigesii Dave Gillingham Orchid Photos 5 13-01-2008 03:44 AM
Cattleya loddigesii Martinique 1 P Max Orchid Photos 0 25-02-2007 11:18 PM
Cattleya loddigesii - lovely silky-smooth purple bifoliate cattleya Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 2 05-01-2007 02:04 AM
Tips on blooming Dockrilila wassellii Eric Hunt Orchids 7 19-12-2003 05:32 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017