Old 23-03-2006, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
LISA HOLMES

Default DENDROBIUM loddigesii & Dockrillia wassellii & phals

Hi Folks,

I've had these 2 species for several years. DENDROBIUM loddigesii bloomed
well for me for several years until we moved 4 years ago. Maybe it is
getting too much heat in my new greenhouse or needs something that I am not
giving it.

Dockrilla wassellii was given to me as a very tiny, out the flask plant
about the year 2000. It is now a fairly large plant. I know it likes lots
of sun but it needs repotting and any information would be helpful. It has
never bloomed.

I live on the Gulf Coast close to Houston, TX. I use to live right on the
coast but now live 30 miles off the coast on a lake. It gets very hot and
humid here in the summer we have hardly any winter. We had one freeze this
year. The reason why I'm telling you this is my phals have suffered since
we moved. I had a wonderful collection of phals before we moved. Do you
think it is because of the lake behind our house? I have fought fungus and
rot since we have moved.

Just a few thoughts. Any info appreciated.

Lisa Holmes

Old 23-03-2006, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Lisa,

I also moved to a home with higher humidity last year. If your humidity is
higher, you may want to run a fan to provide more air movement in the room
where the orchids are. In addition, have you adjusted your watering schedule
to the new environment? If it is more humid, then you will need to water
less often. Do you always water in the mornings, and not in the evenings?
Watering in the evenings makes fungus more likely since the leaves have less
time to dry out before the cooler night.

Best,
Joanna

Old 23-03-2006, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
LISA HOLMES

I water in the mornings and I have 2 fans going constantly. The humidity is
the same as where I use to live. The potting mixture is the same which is
what we use on the Gulf Coast. Perlite, Charcoal, very little bark, and
sometimes I use gravel. I also put packing peanuts at the bottom of the
phals for more drainage. I changed my shade cloth last summer because I
thought maybe it was too shady. Things just got worse this winter. I moved
the phals to a different location in the greenhouse and this has helped
some. I will keep working on it. It has to be something wrong with the
enviroment. Thanks,
Lisa

Old 24-03-2006, 05:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7

Hi Lisa,
It seems like you are going to have to spray & wash down everything.
I have used Physan to spray on plants & a mixture of bleach & vinegar to wash
down the greenhouse & floors etc.
I would put in extra fans too.
Good luck.
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 24-03-2006, 11:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Having gone back and reread the original post, if you're having rot
problems, I have to totally agree with Wendy on the fans. Decent air
movement - ion addition to general cleanliness - goes a long way to
preventing such issues. The gulf breezes probably helped you out before,
but you'd need to provide that artificially in Houston.

Old 24-03-2006, 01:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
LISA HOLMES

Good idea. I'll wash everything down. Closing the greenhouse up for the
winter may be a problem, as well. I can add 2 more fans.
Thanks,

Lisa

Old 24-03-2006, 01:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jadel

LISA HOLMES wrote:

Dockrilla wassellii was given to me as a very tiny, out the flask plant
about the year 2000. It is now a fairly large plant. I know it likes lots
of sun but it needs repotting and any information would be helpful. It has
never bloomed.

I have Dock. wassellii. It bloomed for me last year. I give it full
sun all summer here in WV. The flowers are very delicate looking.
They don't last as long as some other orchids I have.

I agree with the others that you need to increase air circulation.

J. Del Col

Old 31-03-2006, 02:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Dusty

LISA HOLMES wrote:
[...]

Hi lisa
You say you close up your greenhouse for the winter???? What do you
mean?
I live in the midwest zone 5 and my greenhouse vents are always active
on sunny days when the outside temperature is above 25F.
It sounds like you plants need a little more fresh air.
Grow well and bloom magnificently
dusty