Old 24-03-2006, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Default Aeroponics

Some time ago someone wondered about using aeroponics to grow orchids. It
stuck in my mind as a possible way to grow vandas/ascoscendas etc. While
googling I came across this from the department of justice:
"Aeroponics is another relatively new method used to cultivate cannabis.
Cannabis plants are suspended in the air by attaching the stems to some type
of structure. Sprayers, similar to those found in the produce departments of
supermarkets, are used to spray nutrients onto the roots. Timers are used to
turn the sprayers on and off at set intervals."

In a mixed greenhouse, overspray from the vanda section ruins the cattleyas
and likewise the dryness the catts need is too dry for the vandaceous
plants. Hence aeroponics? Some sort of a structure, some sort of a tent
just around the roots, spraying to the root zone only? Perhaps the tent
could be made from clear plastic strips that grocery stores used to use
instead of doors in the refrigerated aisles? allowing some air movement...

Just thinking

K Barrett

Old 24-03-2006, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

you can buy 2mil plastic, same as you winterize a greenhouse with at a
hardware store and cut it/ tape to how you need. As far a aeroponics,
Google it, I know that at some of the drip system sites online you can
buy micro misters, but you might need a boost pump.

also I thought that catts liked about 50 humidity and could handle
being misted? Mine are getting treated that way, am I screwing up?
(yes I am realitively new)

Old 25-03-2006, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
NOOK

A relatively new method? Wow I was ahead of my time.
Back 20 plus years ago when I grew "tomatoes" we set aside an
experiment section and did the heavy mister nozzels thing. We used
chicken wire for suspention and for sea of green method.
I set up a tial with fine mist heads on Vandas and it works but you
get a lot of overspray and a lot of clean up is needed to keep it
neat.
You may also want to look at another very effective way for "tomatoes"
what we called a bucket bubbler.
Five gallon bucket with airstone in the bottom. Cut hole in lid to fit
Vanda basket down in. Fill a third or less with fert. water and crank
on the airstone. This works great for "weeds" but not well for large
orchids.
This will work on small Vanda with short roots for a short time.
You must put the stone on a timer and either lift the lid out to let
the roots dry out or, I used a small box fan and cut a hole in side of
bucket right up at the top and another hole on other side of bucket.
Use a relay circuit so when stone is on the fan is off then when stone
kicks off fan kicks on. I did alot of other mods but in the long run.
It is labor intensive, you must keep track of your fert. level and
concentrate, check the operation allmost every day.
If your going to have to watch it that much it just aint worth it.

Simple pump up sprayer with fert. solution twice a week works wonders!

Old 25-03-2006, 08:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

If I am reading this thread correctly, you are talking about growing Vandas
without media. That's the way I (and most of the folks I know down here)
grow all my Vandas, and some other stuff as well. Frank installed PVC tubing
and sprinkler heads with a timer. They get watered automatically every
morning at 8. Now, with the dryness of March, we give them an extra watering
around noon. They love it. Yes, it can be messy, but for those of us who
grow everything outside, that goes with the territory.

Diana

Old 25-03-2006, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Well, yeah, but with all due respect you live in Florida where there is
nothing but good humidity. The rest of us are stuck trying to figure out
how to supply it. And in a mixed greenhouse on top of that. So what's
someone to do? Hence the idea about aeroponics. Failing that I was
thinking about scrounging an old shower stall to keep misters going on the
vandas yet enclosed so there's no over spray to other plants.

I still haven't fgured out what plant blubber is (or whatever the 1st poster
called it).

Old 25-03-2006, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

I still haven't fgured out what plant blubber is (or whatever the 1st
poster called it).

LOL! *Bubbler*........

Diana

Old 25-03-2006, 11:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
I still haven't fgured out what plant blubber is (or whatever the 1st
poster called it).

LOL! *Bubbler*........

Diana

LOL!! Dyslexia, it ain't for sissies!!

aeroponics Edmond Cormier Orchids 12 19-01-2005 01:30 AM
aeroponics Drbob92031 Orchids 3 31-12-2004 02:51 PM